• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

But why are people so against a manager? Even though AVB got his fair share of stick, I truly believe it never got personal like it did with Redknapp and like it has already gotten with Sherwood. Yes people were skeptical about AVB from day one and some people never warmed to him but people raised concerns about the style of play and his tactics, not his background and the way he speaks. And it takes the ****ing biscuit people slam Sherwood for his lack of managerial experience when AVB only had a couple of years at Porto in a two team league and flopped big style at Chelsea a team with phenomal resources and despite a year and a half in charge at Spurs didn't ever seem like he had a clue of how to win a home game.

I disagree. It got very personal towards both Redknapp and AVB. I think that most people are waiting to see with Sherwood.

It's exactly a Steve Kean situation. Or a Di Matteo one. If he somehow manages to scrape through past May, he'll just be sacked in October and next season will be a write-off as well.

I also worry that he's taking the club back in the wrong direction - motivation and counter-attacking, instead of technical and possession. After we overhauled and bought AVB 15 players to play the latter, we're going to have to go through another big upheaval to return to the former. I just think the longer Timmeh is around the more damage he'll do. Instead we need someone (LVG/FDB) to pick up the project again and see it through to its conclusion (a title challenge).

I think that you made your mind up before we had kicked a ball under him and are unlikely to change your mind whatever happens.

It's exactly a Steve Kean situation. Or a Di Matteo one. If he somehow manages to scrape through past May, he'll just be sacked in October and next season will be a write-off as well.

I also worry that he's taking the club back in the wrong direction - motivation and counter-attacking, instead of technical and possession. After we overhauled and bought AVB 15 players to play the latter, we're going to have to go through another big upheaval to return to the former. I just think the longer Timmeh is around the more damage he'll do. Instead we need someone (LVG/FDB) to pick up the project again and see it through to its conclusion (a title challenge).

So why in your opinion were on the end of so many hammerings under AVB despite him implementing such a radical possession game and why did we struggle almightily to create chances and get more than 2 players in the opposition's penalty box? Is that down to players ignoring the manager's instructions or AVB telling them not to get forward? Personally I think it's a bit silly to spend so much money on a poacher but then isolate him and play shoot happy inverted wingers.

I'm not even denying Sherwood may turn out to be a duffer but you're exaggerating AVB's prowess, in fact I barely see it as a step down given how we played under him this season.

I disagree. It got very personal towards both Redknapp and AVB. I think that most people are waiting to see with Sherwood.

Were people calling him childish names like 'saggy faced ****' and belittling his background? There's a difference between people never warming to him or being unconvinced by him and character assassination.

I don't think people see the irony when they question Levy's decision to appoint a manager with no experience but were completely fine with AVB who flopped in his only previous job in this country and has only managed for about 3 years in total.

So why in your opinion were on the end of so many hammerings under AVB despite him implementing such a radical possession game and why did we struggle almightily to create chances and get more than 2 players in the opposition's penalty box? Is that down to players ignoring the manager's instructions or AVB telling them not to get forward? Personally I think it's a bit silly to spend so much money on a poacher but then isolate him and play shoot happy inverted wingers.

I'm not even denying Sherwood may turn out to be a duffer but you're exaggerating AVB's prowess, in fact I barely see it as a step down given how we played under him this season.
=D>

Talking about the team - and not the manager - there does seem to be a Jekyll and Hyde quality to this team. We were not at the races at all for the first half hour yesterday - maybe the team were just psyched out by the prospect of playing City, maybe we lost before play started. Maybe we are missing Sandro or something. I can't put my finger on why we have bottled it big time several times this season, and looked frankly hopeless. There is a great post above about the formation and the need for the "wonky" - maybe that is it. Perhaps we just have to accept that there are several leagues within the premiership, and we just can't compete with the top league any more. To do that we either need more star players like Bale (unlikely) or we need a manager who can get the very best from the players we have.
We just have to hope that Sherwood gets the other Spurs - the players who can play together as a team- to play this Saturday.

Were people calling him childish names like 'saggy faced ****' and belittling his background? There's a difference between people never warming to him or being unconvinced by him and character assassination.

I don't think people see the irony when they question Levy's decision to appoint a manager with no experience but were completely fine with AVB who flopped in his only previous job in this country and has only managed for about 3 years in total.

I think that there was plenty of personal stuff aimed at AVB, he's been described as being semi-aspergers for Christ's sake. Personally, I think all the name calling is pretty pathetic no matter who the target.

If he sanctions the sale/loan of Holtby and Capoue and recalls Carroll and Livermore then this is a mistake. I only hope Holtby goes away to Fulham and comes bck the player we think he can be. Capoue should stay, the guy is a beast and has potential to be special. Don't do this Tim.

The changes we were going through were massive. It couldn't happen all at once, so it seemed we started from the back. High line - tick. High possession - tick. Quick transition between midfield and attack - never quite got there (due to a combination IMO of Rose's injury and the two Eriks not being ready to bring in ahead of Townsend and Lennon).

Talking about the team - and not the manager - there does seem to be a Jekyll and Hyde quality to this team. We were not at the races at all for the first half hour yesterday - maybe the team were just psyched out by the prospect of playing City, maybe we lost before play started. Maybe we are missing Sandro or something. I can't put my finger on why we have bottled it big time several times this season, and looked frankly hopeless. There is a great post above about the formation and the need for the "wonky" - maybe that is it. Perhaps we just have to accept that there are several leagues within the premiership, and we just can't compete with the top league any more. To do that we either need more star players like Bale (unlikely) or we need a manager who can get the very best from the players we have.
We just have to hope that Sherwood gets the other Spurs - the players who can play together as a team- to play this Saturday.

We've got no leadership.

AVB assembled a team who were tough, but would be submissive to his will.

And then we went and decapitated ourselves.

If he sanctions the sale/loan of Holtby and Capoue and recalls Carroll and Livermore then this is a mistake. I only hope Holtby goes away to Fulham and comes bck the player we think he can be. Capoue should stay, the guy is a beast and has potential to be special. Don't do this Tim.

Capoue is not suited to this league IMO mate. The game just seems to pass him by. Better off at Napoli. Holtby on the other hand has real potential and would be a shame if we got rid. But tbh couldn't see him getting in ahead of dembele, paulinho eriksen or Sandro if all fit.

Last edited:

The changes we were going through were massive. It couldn't happen all at once, so it seemed we started from the back. High line - tick. High possession - tick. Quick transition between midfield and attack - never quite got there (due to a combination IMO of Rose's injury and the two Eriks not being ready to bring in ahead of Townsend and Lennon).

We've got no leadership.

Not very tough against Emirates Marketing Project away (players fiddling with socks and boots at kick off), Pool at home and Wet Spam at home.

We've got no leadership.

I think that the issue with leadership has been there all season. We lack experienced winners. I think that we missed a trick not trying to bring in a proven winner in the summer.

Under AVB I thought we created quite a lot of chances. We just couldn't put them in.

We've got no leadership.

A high line even when we didn't have the correct personnel to use it i.e. not having two slow centre backs.

Why weren't the Eriks's ready? We didn't see Lamela in a league game until Emirates Marketing Project away, good one AVB giving him his first start against the most free scoring team in world football. Eriksen had one bad game and AVB lost faith in him and opted for Holtby, Eriksen has had a run in the side now and is flourishing partly at least because of Sherwood.

Decapitated? I get that you like to be off the wall sometimes but again AVB wasn't Ferguson mk II, he finished 5th which was about par, not bad by any stretch but not earth shattering.

A high line even when we didn't have the correct personnel to use it i.e. not having two slow centre backs.

Why weren't the Eriks's ready? We didn't see Lamela in a league game until Emirates Marketing Project away, good one AVB giving him his first start against the most free scoring team in world football. Eriksen had one bad game and AVB lost faith in him and opted for Holtby, Eriksen has had a run in the side now and is flourishing partly at least because of Sherwood.

Decapitated? I get that you like to be off the wall sometimes but again AVB wasn't Ferguson mk II, he finished 5th which was about par, not bad by any stretch but not earth shattering.

Yeah, that was strange.

Under AVB I thought we created quite a lot of chances. We just couldn't put them in.

Not having a dig but what do you consider 'a chance'? To me a chance is a player having the ball in the area or close to it with little or no players in front of him and a clear sight of goal, shooting from 20 yards unsighted isn't a chance.

Let's get this thread back on topic to Sherwood. There are a couple of AVB threads a page or so back if we want to discuss his strengths/shortcomings

Not having a dig but what do you consider 'a chance'? To me a chance is a player having the ball in the area or close to it with little or no players in front of him and a clear sight of goal, shooting from 20 yards unsighted isn't a chance.

There were plenty of times I did the 'rising up in anticipation' thinking a goal was coming. Maybe I'm just an excitable fool. ;)

Pick a random game and there's a high probability that at some point in it Soldado puts a shot or two back across the goal just past the post.

I'm not anti-Sherwood either.

I just want the players on the pitch to play to their fullest, energy and application.

They didn't do that yesterday, regardless of the Manager. I'm more bummed at the players than TS (apart from the lack of referee criticism).

I'm not anti-Sherwood either.

I just want the players on the pitch to play to their fullest, energy and application.

They didn't do that yesterday, regardless of the Manager. I'm more bummed at the players than TS (apart from the lack of referee criticism).

Yeah I agree yesterday wasn't the best, in fact it was awful. To be fair we've been poor at the start of games under Sherwood in general and it's something that needs addressing quickly. We've managed to eventually get going in games against the likes of Swansea and Palace but it's too late if it takes you 40 minutes to get your act together against Emirates Marketing Project.

Back