• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

If the man can get the best out of our summer signings (Lamela and Paulinho mainly for me) then i'll be signing his name at the top of my lungs. Those two represent a sizable outlay by the club and have shown glimpses of being top top class. Intergrate them into a system with what we already have and we could be in for a good few years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...wood-I-want-sign-English-stars-Tottenham.html

Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood has told sporting director Franco Baldini he wants a British core to his squad.

The pair have held talks regarding the final eight days of the transfer window, with Sherwood keen on signing a new left back and possibly a new striker to replace the departing Jermain Defoe.

But the Spurs boss wants to put his stamp on the squad by introducing more homegrown talent to his ranks.

should nationalism figure in a club going for champions league places ? while we are an english club, should we be putting results ahead of patriotism?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...wood-I-want-sign-English-stars-Tottenham.html

should nationalism figure in a club going for champions league places ? while we are an english club, should we be putting results ahead of patriotism?

If that is indeed the case, who do you think he would want to sign? welshman Ben Davies for left back and the quasi English Belgian, Benteke for me. Any other suggestions for these two positions?

Maybe re- sign Caulker as well if Kaboul is finished.

I like the idea of it, as I want to see a talented young English team outplay others in the league, but not at the expense of getting the right player. If it came down to two players of a similar calibre seperated by nationality only, then fine. If however it's a case of a quality English player for £20 million or a quality Spaniard for £10 million then I'd rather see us take the Spaniard. The English talent pool is so small the prices are over the top. Pundits may bemoan the number of foreigners in the league stifling young talent, but the unrealistic prices put on some of them is just as bad.

So far as transfer targets go:

Ben Davies: Only 20 and looks like a great prospect, 56 caps for Swansea to date, no doubt knows how to get forward effectively having worked under Laudrup and Rodgers.
Luke Shaw is unrealistic and I can't think of any other left back from the home nations that Rose isn't a better prospect than.
Berahino maybe from West Brom as a striker but other than that I can't think of any I would take. The realistic answer is we promote from the youth ranks but that means waiting and developing our own, no quick fixes.

Tim Sherwood wants an English core to Tottenham Hotspur?

I'd say we have one already...

P423_zpsc6f5be48.png

Tottenham Hotspur Detailed Player's Statistics 2013-14

British players are currently the worse standard they've been - ever. Even the England national team is championship standard. Fantastic idea.

Nile Ranger, Tom Ince, Connor Wickham. Happy times...

I think its got more to do with the culture. Having a squad of lads who enjoy each others company and have fun.

It's what Darren Lehmann did with the Aus cricket team. Had them having fun again, and the results follow.

A squad of strangers with different languages, customs and cultures brings extra challenges. It's why Arsenal had such success in the years where they were dominated by French (Henry, Pires, Vieira, Wiltord and of course Wenger).

Doesn't need to be 100% English, but if they can provide the backbone (ala Terry/Cole/Lampard, Scholes/Keane(Irish I know, same thing ...)/Beckham/Cole) then that can only be a good thing.

British players are currently the worse standard they've been - ever. Even the England national team is championship standard. Fantastic idea.

Nile Ranger, Tom Ince, Connor Wickham. Happy times...

Look, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but playing with the facts is dangerous…there's always counter points...

Oxelade-Chamberlain
Ravel Morrison
Andros Townsend

Look, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but playing with the facts is dangerous…there's always counter points...

Oxelade-Chamberlain
Ravel Morrison
Andros Townsend

None of them would get in our first 11.

Shaw, Barkley..

Both would cost £30m+ now, whereas their European or South American peers of equivalent quality can be bought for 1/3 of that.

I just don't see the point of handicapping ourselves by bringing in token players for misguided nationalistic reasons. English players at this point in time just aren't professional or technical enough.

No - give me an entire squad or Lloris, Verts and Sandros every day of the week

Gutterboy,

In eight of the past nine seasons Chelsea (3) and Man Utd (5) have won the league.

Man Utd - Scholes, Rooney, Ferdinand, Giggs

Chelsea - Lampard, Terry, Cole

All part of the core of their respective squads that led to 'tremendous success'.

Also, look at Wes Brown for example, hardly glamour player of the year yet still has 5 Premier League, 2 FA Cup and above all else 2 champions league winners' medals for a reason.

None of them would get in our first 11.

Both would cost £30m+ now, whereas their European or South American peers of equivalent quality can be bought for 1/3 of that.

I just don't see the point of handicapping ourselves by bringing in token players for misguided nationalistic reasons. English players at this point in time just aren't professional or technical enough.

No - give me an entire squad or Lloris, Verts and Sandros every day of the week

Who's saying that's going to happen? And who's saying that would be wise? Did I miss something? Enlighten me.

Gutterboy,

In eight of the past nine seasons Chelsea (3) and Man Utd (5) have won the league.

All part of the core of their respective squads that led to 'tremendous success'.

Also, look at Wes Brown for example, hardly glamour player of the year yet still has 5 Premier League, 2 FA Cup and above all else 2 champions league winners' medals for a reason.

true but looking ahead...the future isn't exactly bright for english/british players. the one good one we had scuppered off the real madrid first chance he had!

This entirely avoids the point of my initial comment, which was to point out that not every young English player is of 'championship' standard.

That's the point I thought you were making which is why I added Barkley and shaw, I wasn't arguing we should or could buy them.

If Tim wants an English core then I think he'd be looking at bringing kids thru not buying them in.

Gutterboy,

Exactly. A British core with a sprinkling of foreign stardust is no bad way to go.

If that is indeed the case, who do you think he would want to sign? welshman Ben Davies for left back and the quasi English Belgian, Benteke for me. Any other suggestions for these two positions?

Maybe re- sign Caulker as well if Kaboul is finished.

yes please.

What happened to Neil Taylor? he was always the more promising of the two left backs. Has he recovered from that injury that kept him out?

What happened to Neil Taylor? he was always the more promising of the two left backs. Has he recovered from that injury that kept him out?

I don't think that's true.

Davies is the one they had high hopes for, it's just Taylor didn't do anything wrong to deserve getting dropped.

Looks like he never said it in the first place...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

Back