• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Can someone with a good memory fill in the blanks please? Against West Ham in the cup in Sherwood's first game he took off Adebayor and someone (Rose?) after an hour as they were coming back from injury. He got criticised for being defensive, I think we went to 451 and people said we sat back and asked to get beat... Fat Sam started launching balls into the box which Capoue and Vlad (??) couldn't handle... damn I wish I had a memory. Anyway I remember TS was definitely criticised for 'going defensive' and trying to see out the game. Yet he didn't have much choice as we didn't want Adebayor to break down on his first start in 100 years.

Whereas recently we went to a 451 and TS was applauded for his ingenuity, he had allegedly learnt from the Arsenal game and "2 players vs 3" even though TS had said that it wasn't 2 v 3 because Eriksen tucked in and other players helped out...

I guess what I'm saying is that because results have been fantastic, the decisions TS makes are lauded as the right ones... but if we lose a game those same decisions are criticised as wrong... I guess that makes sense and is human nature, but am I making sense about the 451 thing being criticised against West Ham and applauded against Swansea?

It's always been like that though. You see it after every game, if there is even the slightest hint of something going a bit wrong or a wrong decision having been made, it's blown way out of proportion as being a the proof that whoever in charge is an idiot, whereas if we win and a guy plays well, he's the next Jesus or going to win the world cup for his country, Real Madrid next, etc. :p

The problem was Defoe was ATROCIOUS that game and was obviously not going to offer anything. So him being the sole striker in that formation was just wrong, and meant we had no ability to get back in the game.

This thread, has turned into a class divide, it's a joke.
For people to make assumptions about an individuals skill-set, based upon their accent, or how crisp their public speaking skills are, is ****.
I hope these people are brave enough in real life, and have the bottle to back it up, face to face, with those that they look down at.

Am I missing something about how Sherwood talks in his press conferences? imo doesn't come across as stupid at all. Certainly not much different than every other manager in the league? He actually is much easier to understand and more candid than AVB was although not AVB's first language tbf

i think its the way he generalizes stuff and brushes away arguments selectively - kinda like how redknapp does. not as logical as AVB but entertaining nonetheless.

still its only a press conference for the rags so i don't give two hoots to what the managers say in this situation. probably just lies and PR most of the time.

Agreed, it was broken. What I mean if I, or someone, says 'AVB should have been given more time' is not that after the defeat against Liverpool for example that we should back him to turn it round. By that point, both parties want a parting of the ways. By given time, it's more that I think he should have been backed better and trusted more when he needed it, stretching way back to the summer. At that point he's already feeling vulnerable in his position and it's like the club didn't trust or value him as much as he would have liked. Discussions about needing more time should be referring to that point, and the club's treatment of him back then, rather than him needing time to turn things around in December when the writing was already on the wall for both parties.

We're on the same page in many areas here…the saddest thing I learnt in the time right after Emirates Marketing Project away and the axe falling, was how long the discontent had been brewing. If you remember, I had felt very very pessimistic about his chances of surviving post-Emirates Marketing Project!

Shifting topic slightly (obviously this is a general 'thread' point I'm about to make mate not an answer to you about anything), the whole 'class' thing with regards to Sherwood is hilarious. I have to say, I had a right old giggle when I saw him at Swansea as he looked like some geezer from the estate who'd been on a bit of a raver two days prior and who's pit-bull was tied up (with a rope NOT a leash!) outside! That stubble? Put it this way, Sweeney-meets-Dealer! And he looked like he'd 'do' anyone that looked at his bird!!!!! AVB? He looked like a suited, booted, chin-stroking ponce-osopher of the highest order (I always expect to see a silk Armani scarf around his neck, catching the wind on the touchline)…cliches? ABSOLUTELY! A bit of a laugh? 100%. Anyone who ever thought Tim was dim wasn't giving his (frankly) extraordinary work to amass the power base he holds at the club the respect it deserves…

I wasn't sure at all when he came in, and prudence tells me to remain sceptical until at least the season's end…but I cannot help myself. A combination of always giving new managers as much support as possible, versus the current crop of results, the things I'm seeing happening and the way he's carrying himself week by week, are convincing me that not only is he fully deserving right now, he stands a damn fine chance of getting us that 4th spot. There's no pressure on him and the players are growing in confidence. He has three world cup starters to return and has unearthed another youth gem. Finally, much respect to him for his reply when congratulated post-match on the 5 away wins in a row; he said it was also down to Andre. Class. The right thing to say to the camera. The right way to represent. I'm warming to him a lot more than just 'supporting' him…we shall see...

We're on the same page in many areas here…the saddest thing I learnt in the time right after Emirates Marketing Project away and the axe falling, was how long the discontent had been brewing. If you remember, I had felt very very pessimistic about his chances of surviving post-Emirates Marketing Project!

Shifting topic slightly (obviously this is a general 'thread' point I'm about to make mate not an answer to you about anything), the whole 'class' thing with regards to Sherwood is hilarious. I have to say, I had a right old giggle when I saw him at Swansea as he looked like some geezer from the estate who'd been on a bit of a raver two days prior and who's pit-bull was tied up (with a rope NOT a leash!) outside! That stubble? Put it this way, Sweeney-meets-Dealer! And he looked like he'd 'do' anyone that looked at his bird!!!!! AVB? He looked like a suited, booted, chin-stroking ponce-osopher of the highest order (I always expect to see a silk Armani scarf around his neck, catching the wind on the touchline)…cliches? ABSOLUTELY! A bit of a laugh? 100%. Anyone who ever thought Tim was dim wasn't giving his (frankly) extraordinary work to amass the power base he holds at the club the respect it deserves…

I wasn't sure at all when he came in, and prudence tells me to remain sceptical until at least the season's end…but I cannot help myself. A combination of always giving new managers as much support as possible, versus the current crop of results, the things I'm seeing happening and the way he's carrying himself week by week, are convincing me that not only is he fully deserving right now, he stands a damn fine chance of getting us that 4th spot. There's no pressure on him and the players are growing in confidence. He has three world cup starters to return and has unearthed another youth gem. Finally, much respect to him for his reply when congratulated post-match on the 5 away wins in a row; he said it was also down to Andre. Class. The right thing to say to the camera. The right way to represent. I'm warming to him a lot more than just 'supporting' him…we shall see...

=D>

Well said mate, precisely my feeling too.

It's an odd one; the other day the LVG story came out and how he wants to manage in the EPL... I know the guy is immense but I was like "mmm, let's hold for a mo'" we cannot judge Tim yet but he's done something. Perhaps the British footballers are a little different to their continental counterparts? Perhaps they need certain types? That said, he's changed tactics and I don't believe been rigid in them either.

What I am looking forward to the most is the chance the youngsters will get. It's the way forward and we've deffo been starved of them coming through in the past.

Let's see what sort of pixie dust Tim'll sprinkle as the sleeping giant mancunian club come to pay us a visit.

I'm thinking 'Smash and Grab' styley, a bit of Guy Ritchie's lock stock and two smoking barrels. GET IN MY SON !!! If he manages to get a result, could be earth shattering, but realistically that's a mighty tall, very tall, order.

I wait patiently to be proven wrong.

Let's see what sort of pixie dust Tim'll sprinkle as the sleeping giant mancunian club come to pay us a visit.

I'm thinking 'Smash and Grab' styley, a bit of Guy Ritchie's lock stock and two smoking barrels. GET IN MY SON !!! If he manages to get a result, could be earth shattering, but realistically that's a mighty tall, very tall, order.

I wait patiently to be proven wrong.

The thing is, just about everyone is fully expecting Emirates Marketing Project to win next Wednesday, so in a sense there's no pressure on Sherwood or our players.

That could well play to our advantage, as would the fact that City will have played those two extra matches in the domestic cup competitions, while Spurs have had a week and a half to prepare for the game.

The thing is, just about everyone is fully expecting Emirates Marketing Project to win next Wednesday, so in a sense there's no pressure on Sherwood or our players.

That could well play to our advantage, as would the fact that City will have played those two extra matches in the domestic cup competitions, while Spurs have had a week and a half to prepare for the game.

Another way of looking at this is that Aguero has had a couple of matches to get back to full fitness...

will be interesting to see how we look with that much time to prepare for the game, a great opportunity for Sherwood to answer a few of his critics with a tactical master plan helping us to victory over the countries high scoring in form team of galacticos

Sherwood played back in the days when you didn't shave for two days before a game so you looked rough and tumble. He could show up in a start and stripes speedo with a clown hat on and cowboy boots if he keeps winning games and plays attractive football.

wasn't sure at all when he came in, and prudence tells me to remain sceptical until at least the season's end…but I cannot help myself. A combination of always giving new managers as much support as possible, versus the current crop of results, the things I'm seeing happening and the way he's carrying himself week by week, are convincing me that not only is he fully deserving right now, he stands a damn fine chance of getting us that 4th spot. There's no pressure on him and the players are growing in confidence. He has three world cup starters to return and has unearthed another youth gem. Finally, much respect to him for his reply when congratulated post-match on the 5 away wins in a row; he said it was also down to Andre. Class. The right thing to say to the camera. The right way to represent. I'm warming to him a lot more than just 'supporting' him…we shall see...

Great post. Especially the bolder bit which I agree with wholeheartedly.

I'm not sure mate. At this moment in time our players will have got a little tired with some light training since the weekend while City have been able to put their feet up and relax in a match with West Ham.

Steff: well put mate, love that last paragraph. COYS.

Well said mate, precisely my feeling too.

It's an odd one; the other day the LVG story came out and how he wants to manage in the EPL... I know the guy is immense but I was like "mmm, let's hold for a mo'" we cannot judge Tim yet but he's done something. Perhaps the British footballers are a little different to their continental counterparts? Perhaps they need certain types? That said, he's changed tactics and I don't believe been rigid in them either.

What I am looking forward to the most is the chance the youngsters will get. It's the way forward and we've deffo been starved of them coming through in the past.

Whatever happens, I am not into the Van Gaal thing at all. I think it would end in tears. only one Dutchman, De Boer…and even that? Let me just say I am starting to hope upon hope that Sherwood does his thing til the end of the season and gets the nod.

Sherwood played back in the days when you didn't shave for two days before a game so you looked rough and tumble. He could show up in a start and stripes speedo with a clown hat on and cowboy boots if he keeps winning games and plays attractive football.

Absolutely.

Back