• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I mentioned this in another thread, utd's form before they played us was something like won 6 on the bounce and they were being talked up as back in the title race, yet "it was a good time to play them" apparently, so our result there was knocked!

Not everyone. There were plenty of people who supported AVB but thought that talk of projects was premature given the average tenure of a Premier League manager.

People need to realise that football has changed over the last 15 years. The days of managers like SAF getting 4 years or so before winning a trophy are long gone, it's a short term business as much as it is a long term sport. I believe if we had finished 4th last season then that would have bought AVB another full season despite some appalling results this campaign. If you want to be employed in the long term then you have to deliver in the short term as well.

Putting all of that aside, results were ultimately what got AVB fired but there many other factors that led to his dismissal as have been discussed to great length in the past 6 weeks.

Last season with a worse squad but one more accustomed to this league we beat United, Arsenal, City and Liverpool. The fact that with a better squad with more depth we have gotten hammered more suggests the players needed to settle into this league.

Tim gets judged on shorter term parameters because they are the parameters he set himself. To him, football is a simple game, there is no time for projects and you win games or you get sacked. The people that wanted AVB wanted him because he was supposed to build something for the long term.

I think the biggest irony of comparing the amount of time AVB 'was supposed' to get versus Sherwood is that it ignores the very simple fact that AVB did not get that time and that some of us (I speak for myself) were reluctantly forced to admit that the marriage was broken regardless of how much we hoped it wasn't. It was! And so it ended!

Sherwood has done well to get 5 wins and 1 draw in his first 6 league matches as a manager. But I think he is still not really tested in the league.

All the 6 teams we faced so far had been struggling in some way when we played them :
Southampton - winless in 5 matches
WBA- winless in 7 matches
Stoke - winless in 7 away matches
ManU - shyte home form (had already lost to WBA/Everton/Saudi Sportswashing Machine)
Palace = 1 win in 5 matches
Swansea - winless in 7 matches

So, I think Sherwood's first real test will come against ManCity. He can go a long way to prove his capability as the manager if he can beat City.

Think that's a bit of a negative way to look at it, you can only beat what's put in front of you. Our rivals have had games against some of these teams at a similar time and not managed to beat them. I'm thinking Everton v west brom last night and Liverpool v villa who were on a similar shocking run. You still have to win the games no matter how it looks on paper.

Think that's a bit of a negative way to look at it, you can only beat what's put in front of you. Our rivals have had games against some of these teams at a similar time and not managed to beat them. I'm thinking Everton v west brom last night and Liverpool v villa who were on a similar shocking run. You still have to win the games no matter how it looks on paper.

There's also a little massaging of the data to get it to fit the argument. United were on a good run of form before we played them but Spurs7891 uses a different criteria to judge them to the other teams because it wouldn't fit his argument.

It's the premier league, every game is tough. He is beating teams we usually would struggle against.

There really is no pleasing some fans.

Sherwood has done well to get 5 wins and 1 draw in his first 6 league matches as a manager. But I think he is still not really tested in the league.

All the 6 teams we faced so far had been struggling in some way when we played them :
Southampton - winless in 5 matches
WBA- winless in 7 matches
Stoke - winless in 7 away matches
ManU - shyte home form (had already lost to WBA/Everton/Saudi Sportswashing Machine)
Palace = 1 win in 5 matches
Swansea - winless in 7 matches

So, I think Sherwood's first real test will come against ManCity. He can go a long way to prove his capability as the manager if he can beat City.

don't forget the cup games

Think it was said at the time that Van Gaal wasn't prepared to do two jobs at once, at least it isn't new information to me.

I think the biggest irony of comparing the amount of time AVB 'was supposed' to get versus Sherwood is that it ignores the very simple fact that AVB did not get that time and that some of us (I speak for myself) were reluctantly forced to admit that the marriage was broken regardless of how much we hoped it wasn't. It was! And so it ended!

Agreed, it was broken. What I mean if I, or someone, says 'AVB should have been given more time' is not that after the defeat against Liverpool for example that we should back him to turn it round. By that point, both parties want a parting of the ways. By given time, it's more that I think he should have been backed better and trusted more when he needed it, stretching way back to the summer. At that point he's already feeling vulnerable in his position and it's like the club didn't trust or value him as much as he would have liked. Discussions about needing more time should be referring to that point, and the club's treatment of him back then, rather than him needing time to turn things around in December when the writing was already on the wall for both parties.

so it transpires that Van Gaal rejected the Spurs job ...http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-world-cup-9071400.html?origin=internalSearch

based on current performance would you still take Van Gaal over sherwood?

Yes.. I would.

And that's not to say Sherwood is not capable of getting us CL football. I just think Van Gaal has proven himself and his abilities more so and we would know what we're getting.

With Sherwood right now, none of us really know what to expect. We know he's offence minded but after that... I donno.

Now if Timmy continues and we end up say 2nd/3rd in the league, it would be hard to take him out of the seat. Even if we end up 4th I would still say it's a tough one for him. I still might prefer Van Gaal.

And for anyone thinking 2nd or 3rd is dreaming, I'd just say look at the fixture list again... we still have games against all 4 teams above us. Win 2-3 of those and take care of the others like we should, and we're realistically in with a shot of the title let alone 3rd. Not saying it's likely, just that it's possible.

so it transpires that Van Gaal rejected the Spurs job ...http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-world-cup-9071400.html?origin=internalSearch

based on current performance would you still take Van Gaal over sherwood?

Yes. One if proven over decades, across multiple countries and internationally, has won countless trophies and would be able to attract/retain decent players because of who he is. The other is 'proven' over 6 games and has previously never managed a senior team

Yes. One if proven over decades, across multiple countries and internationally, has won countless trophies and would be able to attract/retain decent players because of who he is. The other is 'proven' over 6 games and has previously never managed a senior team

Not if Sherwood continues going from strength to strength. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes.. I would.

And that's not to say Sherwood is not capable of getting us CL football. I just think Van Gaal has proven himself and his abilities more so and we would know what we're getting.

With Sherwood right now, none of us really know what to expect. We know he's offence minded but after that... I donno.

Now if Timmy continues and we end up say 2nd/3rd in the league, it would be hard to take him out of the seat. Even if we end up 4th I would still say it's a tough one for him. I still might prefer Van Gaal.

And for anyone thinking 2nd or 3rd is dreaming, I'd just say look at the fixture list again... we still have games against all 4 teams above us. Win 2-3 of those and take care of the others like we should, and we're realistically in with a shot of the title let alone 3rd. Not saying it's likely, just that it's possible.

Its possible for me to have sex with Kelly Brook but its not gonna happen, Spurs finishing 2nd or 3rd isnt going to happen

three years, people said three years.

no one can re write that bit...last season was the start, this season didnt count ...judge at the end of next season

3 years. i remember this clearly

Sherwood IMo will not last past the summer...he would have to do something amazing and thats make top 4 AND champions league (although according to some CL is the target)...in order to do that he would have to overturn at least one awesome team from this season.

i cant see him getting the consistency from the players over half a seasson to make that work.........BUT thats the chairman's call....as fans IF we want him to be given a chance there is no way wwe can judge this guy...positively or negatively......over 20 games only. that there is ridiculous.....

what we can do is get an inkling of his potential given the factors and ingredients he has been surrounded with in his first appointment

three years, people said three years.

no one can re write that bit...last season was the start, this season didnt count ...judge at the end of next season

3 years. i remember this clearly

Sherwood IMo will not last past the summer...he would have to do something amazing and thats make top 4 AND champions league (although according to some CL is the target)...in order to do that he would have to overturn at least one awesome team from this season.

i cant see him getting the consistency from the players over half a seasson to make that work.........BUT thats the chairman's call....as fans IF we want him to be given a chance there is no way wwe can judge this guy...positively or negatively......over 20 games only. that there is ridiculous.....

what we can do is get an inkling of his potential given the factors and ingredients he has been surrounded with in his first appointment

Why do you lump everyone in together? I think that there are as many views on a manager as there are people posting on a subject.

Back