• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I can't vouch for it's reliability or even remember where it came from but a rumour when AVB was still with us was that he and Sherwood fell out over AVB's refusal to use the kids in Europe or on the bench. Could be BS of course.

Well if this is the case.....and I appreciate its not concrete then that shows AVB being at fault.

I would like to think that it meant more to Tim to fight the corner of the young lads under his wing and ensure they were given an opportunity rather than promote his own silly agenda..... Maybe this is why Nabil is playing so hard for timmy????

Those unable to 'get over' the heartbreak of AVB leaving need to stop using Tim as an excuse.

We scored more than 2 again, got 3 points and played some nice football. I'm happy. If it becomes a habit, we might do something big.

Core midfield, we're a bit weaker, but also we're without Sandro and Paulinho. We're also creating more chances and scoring more goals. Liverpool walked past us under AVB with fairly similar injury problems to what Sherwood has had to deal with. We were in a state of disarray in the last couple of weeks under AVB, Sherwood hasn't sorted all of that, but he can't be expected to and he has improved us.

Disagree about tempo. The way we killed the game after the 1-3 goal today was very good, same as 10-12 minutes against United leading up to the 90th minute. By introducing a better passer into the team in Bentaleb either from the start or as a sub Sherwood has given us a player who can control the tempo of the game. None of our regular central midfielders under AVB did that. Control of the game is similar to this.

Sherwood has improved us short term where AVB failed. If Sherwood will keep improving us long term is a different question, but I don't know how you know he can't.

Top post. Think Scara has conveniently forgotten the humiliations where we were mullered all over the park and especially in midfield.

Your hatred of Sherwood due to his lower class dialect is almost as preposterous as Gutterboy's hatred of Sherwood's nationality.

In fact... perhaps you are Gutterboy; you've been authoring his posts all along to make yours look more plausible... that is the level of conspiracy theory we're working with now, yeah?!

Honestly, my dislike of Timmeh comes purely from what he's said, not how he says it.

His accent creates no emotion in me other than pity.

Sherwood has almost came in from nowhere in relation to where he would have been perceived in August and has pretty much righted 90% of the issues in 6 league games

It won't last I'm sure but you would be incredibly biased and blinkered to not see that we're scoring more, conceding less and winning games that under AVB we simply were not. It's an incredibly simple game and TS was criticised for being a one system man. Today he changed the system and despite having Chadli on the pitch we won again.... That's either an incredibly lucky manager or someone who actually knows what he is doing whilst still learning about the team and himself.

People are taking notice of us again for positive reasons and we simply would have not got there with AVBs management IMO.

Very, very impressed with the flexibility shown by TS in today's game. Seemed like a very fluid 4-5-1, that quickly switched to being 4-3-3 when we attacked.

Yes i was impressed that he realised if we did not switch up our tactics that Swansea would dominate possession against us. Going with the formation he did allowed us to even out the game and use our quality to hurt them. That said we were a little vulnerable at the start but they were mostly long range efforts. Eriksen has show he can be our creative lynch pin and he is growing better and better. I still think chadli offers nothing and i thought he was a big waste of space yet again.

Tims Tottenham have scored 15 goals in 5 matches so far in the PL, AVBs Tottenham took 15 matches to score that amount

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

Still have doubts abour him but can't fault his work so far. I just feel he will be found out sometime in the next year and we will be back to Square 1. Maybe he's just a natural though, I guess there'a a chance!

Still have doubts abour him but can't fault his work so far. I just feel he will be found out sometime in the next year and we will be back to Square 1. Maybe he's just a natural though, I guess there'a a chance!

That's what worries me, if we keep him after the summer there's a chance he won't do as well and we'll have missed out on Van Gaal. If we don't keep him though then Sherwood may prove himself somewhere else and we'll have got rid of a manager young enough to stay longer term.

Honestly, my dislike of Timmeh comes purely from what he's said, not how he says it.

What is it he's said that's so bad?

Again, do you think he's sharing his more advanced tactical thoughts with the British footballing media? Would you?

That's what worries me, if we keep him after the summer there's a chance he won't do as well and we'll have missed out on Van Gaal. If we don't keep him though then Sherwood may prove himself somewhere else and we'll have got rid of a manager young enough to stay longer term.

There's a risk with any manager and with any new hire.

For now Sherwood is doing well, and to a large extent I agree with him that talks of "a project" mean very little unless you also get results short term. In a way the DoF/technical director combined with a head coach is a good setup for that. Sherwood focuses mainly on the short term, Baldini is more in charge of our long term strategy in terms of bringing in young players that will excel a couple of years down the line.

For now at least Sherwood is showing a willingness to focus on short term results without going for short term transfer targets. He's trusting and introducing young players at a level comparable to some of the clubs I think we want to compare ourselves to.

For now I don't see what more we can ask from him...

I'm still not convinced Sherwood is the best option but he should be given until the end of the season by the fans. He's got some belief and confidence back into the team and has relaunched our push for a top four finish, but the real test will arrive in March, if we're still in and around 4th at the end of the month we have a great chance of achieving it. Until we get those Chelsea (A) Arsenal (H) Liverpool (A) results in, I am still skeptical that up against an experienced tactician Sherwood will be found wanting.

There is an enormous amount of pressure on him due to his inexperience along with fan and club expectations, hats off to him for wanting to take that challenge on and making us look like Tottenham again in the process.

Oh dear me....any shred of credibility you may have left after this thread had has just disappeared with that one statement. That is an appalling thing to say.

Perhaps if he changes his name to Timo Van Sherwood people will get off his back.

Oh dear, he's English and speaks with an English accent, that'll never do must sack him so we can get in a continental manager with matching foreign accent because they perform so much better (Santini, Gross, Ramos, Ardiles.)

Most posters were arguing that AVB deserved until the end of the season to turn it around even after the Liverpool hammering. Personally I didn't see any evidence to suggest that he could change things and argued he needed to go.
With Sherwood he has done well enough (cups aside), to justify more time certainly until the end of the season. I think the initial formations were about priorities, when he came in he could see a team low on confidence in terms of creating and scoring goals. He went for more attacking sacrificing some defensive stability. Now we seem more confident in attack I can see him trying to gradually bring in some more solidity whilst still maintaining the attacking threat hence the Swansea formation. I look forward to seeing how he will fit Sandro into the team as he does not favour Capoue. I am sure he recognises Sandro's importance. I also agree with the points made by Suiya and brain eclipse that saying Sherwood is tactically inept falls short of the mark. I wonder how much input Chris Ramsay has in terms of tactics being that he is supposedly this uber coach.

Much of our rejuvenation in attack has been due to the performances of Ade and Tim reintegrating him into the team. This suggests that AVB would not have turned things around as his preference was to persist with soldado as the lone striker. In hindsight that looked like a policy, to quote Suiya, that would have ultimately, IMO, taken us to mid table. It also makes me wonder if AVB knew this and that hastened his decision to depart as he could not face a potentially humiliating climb down over Ade.

Last edited:

I'm still not convinced Sherwood is the best option but he should be given until the end of the season by the fans. He's got some belief and confidence back into the team and has relaunched our push for a top four finish, but the real test will arrive in March, if we're still in and around 4th at the end of the month we have a great chance of achieving it. Until we get those Chelsea (A) Arsenal (H) Liverpool (A) results in, I am still skeptical that up against an experienced tactician Sherwood will be found wanting.

There is an enormous amount of pressure on him due to his inexperience along with fan and club expectations, hats off to him for wanting to take that challenge on and making us look like Tottenham again in the process.

i know what you are saying, and i can appreciate that for an untested specimen in a pressure enviroment you want to be able to make a quick decision and not waste resources on a longer experiment but consider the boundaries we've suggested for Tim......Tim is given till end of the season before anyone can judge...yet AVB is supposed to be given three years

then there is the litmus test of playing the big boys. i COMPLETELY agree with you that these are the games that will determine if he is a good manager or not in the short term, and possibly an indication of what is possible in the long term? but in those games AVB lost or drew every single one of those and in two of them it was record breaking humiliating with no fight

i would hope that the criteria we instinctively set for a newbie would be revised some come the end of the season

Back