• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Sherwood has the most points from his first 5 league games of any of our managers EVER.

Win tomorrow and his worst run of 6 games is better than AVB's best run of 6 games. Sherwood might not be the long term solution, but I know I rate him far higher than his predecessor, so for now I'll just get behind him and hope for the best.

Some of you seem quite offended at the thought of going old school English 4-4-2. Apparently that's retro and not fashionable any more. Please ignore the fact that Emirates Marketing Project have been raping everyone in sight playing 4-4-2 this season. Or that Man Utd won the league by a country mile last season playing it. Yes, I know Rooney dropped deep and played like a midfielder sometimes, but does Adebayor goal hang? Maybe, just maybe, the best way to get results out of our squad at the moment, given players being injured and who the opposition were, was 4-4-2? Sure, I'd love to see how Bentaleb, Sandro and Eriksen does as a three man central midfield, but it's got results and plenty of goals so far - more goals in Tim's 5 league games than the final 11 under AVB. We've also conceded fewer goals in Tim's 5 games put together than we did in that Liverpool game that got AVB sacked. Hardly as open and reckless as some of you seem to think it is.

I think something that's really key to look at when you look at how well a manger is doing is how well he gets certain players to perform. Bale aside, I don't think there's anyone that played better under AVB than Harry. Sherwood hasn't had a chance to utilise a lot of his squad, but I've certainly been impressed with the rise in standards from Adebayor, Eriksen, Lennon and Dawson. Paulhino played his best game for us against Stoke before getting injured. Dembele's best form for us was the start of last season, but he's improved a bit, even Soldado looks a little better. I hope when they're fit, he can get even more out of Townsend, Lamela, Sigursson, Vertonghen and Sandro too.

People talked about him being "highly rated" for years. Well maybe we're now starting to see why.

A shinning light i thank you Sir.

I just think it's extraordinary that Sherwood's getting picked apart right now. He's been here 5 minutes! He hasn't had even close to a fully fit squad, he's made some brave decisions (Bentaleb is a brave one and a good one for me) and he's not afraid to do what he feels is right. It isn't always what I'd do, but he's the manager (not me) and thus far, he's largely been proven correct (12 points from 15)…I was sad AVB didn't work out, I was sadder to find out he had given up too, but there we go, that's life. We can pick apart the wisdom/non-wisdom, but the facts are that Sherwood is our manager and he's doing a pretty decent job all-told. Is he the long-term answer? Who could possibly know at this stage? Have there been downs? Absolutely. But generally speaking, he has thus far got far more right IMO than he's got wrong, not the least of which was getting the players back on footing with a style they seem comfortable with (which is smart, first, short-term, do what needs to be done to steady the ship, roll with it for a while and THEN consider 'the next' style/move). He deserves our support.

The voice of reason. Well said Steff

Sherwood has the most points from his first 5 league games of any of our managers EVER.

Win tomorrow and his worst run of 6 games is better than AVB's best run of 6 games. Sherwood might not be the long term solution, but I know I rate him far higher than his predecessor, so for now I'll just get behind him and hope for the best.

Some of you seem quite offended at the thought of going old school English 4-4-2. Apparently that's retro and not fashionable any more. Please ignore the fact that Emirates Marketing Project have been raping everyone in sight playing 4-4-2 this season. Or that Man Utd won the league by a country mile last season playing it. Yes, I know Rooney dropped deep and played like a midfielder sometimes, but does Adebayor goal hang? Maybe, just maybe, the best way to get results out of our squad at the moment, given players being injured and who the opposition were, was 4-4-2? Sure, I'd love to see how Bentaleb, Sandro and Eriksen does as a three man central midfield, but it's got results and plenty of goals so far - more goals in Tim's 5 league games than the final 11 under AVB. We've also conceded fewer goals in Tim's 5 games put together than we did in that Liverpool game that got AVB sacked. Hardly as open and reckless as some of you seem to think it is.

I think something that's really key to look at when you look at how well a manger is doing is how well he gets certain players to perform. Bale aside, I don't think there's anyone that played better under AVB than Harry. Sherwood hasn't had a chance to utilise a lot of his squad, but I've certainly been impressed with the rise in standards from Adebayor, Eriksen, Lennon and Dawson. Paulhino played his best game for us against Stoke before getting injured. Dembele's best form for us was the start of last season, but he's improved a bit, even Soldado looks a little better. I hope when they're fit, he can get even more out of Townsend, Lamela, Sigursson, Vertonghen and Sandro too.

People talked about him being "highly rated" for years. Well maybe we're now starting to see why.

Good post.

ykdngz.jpg

I just think it's extraordinary that Sherwood's getting picked apart right now. He's been here 5 minutes! He hasn't had even close to a fully fit squad, he's made some brave decisions (Bentaleb is a brave one and a good one for me) and he's not afraid to do what he feels is right. It isn't always what I'd do, but he's the manager (not me) and thus far, he's largely been proven correct (12 points from 15)…I was sad AVB didn't work out, I was sadder to find out he had given up too, but there we go, that's life. We can pick apart the wisdom/non-wisdom, but the facts are that Sherwood is our manager and he's doing a pretty decent job all-told. Is he the long-term answer? Who could possibly know at this stage? Have there been downs? Absolutely. But generally speaking, he has thus far got far more right IMO than he's got wrong, not the least of which was getting the players back on footing with a style they seem comfortable with (which is smart, first, short-term, do what needs to be done to steady the ship, roll with it for a while and THEN consider 'the next' style/move). He deserves our support.

It's actually 13 from 15 but I agree.

Although a bit ironic he criticising another coach for not being qualified enough.

I've read the article several times and I cannot see anything that could be construed as Sherwood criticising Pochettino or any other coach. I'd be really grateful if you could quote the bit where he does.

I've read the article several times and I cannot see anything that could be construed as Sherwood criticising Pochettino or any other coach. I'd be really grateful if you could quote the bit where he does.

He can't do that because it didn't happen.

On the 442 verses every other formation on the planet debate, Gary Neville just tweeted (no idea how to put the actual tweet in here on my phone) 'Liverpool are playing the old 442. I hope they don't lose for its sake. It's always his fault!'

Obviously tongue in cheek but it captures pretty well the mentality of many football fans these days.

Predictibly, it was followed up by replies like '4-2-2-2' to which he replied 'yes, 4-2-2-2 for those too embarrassed to say it' and 'it's more of a 4-3-3' to which he replies 'anything but 4-4-2 eh?'

But it's not 442 is it. Same as with Emirates Marketing Project, they play two central box to box midfielders and the two wingers if you can call them that pop up all over the place. Liverpool if anything are playing the wonky, with Coutinho likely to come infield whilst Sterling keeps the width

On the 442 verses every other formation on the planet debate, Gary Neville just tweeted (no idea how to put the actual tweet in here on my phone) 'Liverpool are playing the old 442. I hope they don't lose for its sake. It's always his fault!'

Obviously tongue in cheek but it captures pretty well the mentality of many football fans these days.

Predictibly, it was followed up by replies like '4-2-2-2' to which he replied 'yes, 4-2-2-2 for those too embarrassed to say it' and 'it's more of a 4-3-3' to which he replies 'anything but 4-4-2 eh?'

One ironic thing is that we were about the first English club to progress onto 4-5-1 - between 1987-91 when Allen, Walsh and Lineker in turn played as the lone man up top. This notably also coincides with our last period of any real success (an FA cup and two 3rd places).

It's bizarre that 25 years later we are now the only club still in the dark ages.

[video=youtube;dOV5WXISM24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOV5WXISM24[/video]

Last edited:

But it's not 442 is it. Same as with Emirates Marketing Project, they play two central box to box midfielders and the two wingers if you can call them that pop up all over the place. Liverpool if anything are playing the wonky, with Coutinho likely to come infield whilst Sterling keeps the width

All of those examples start from a shape which is 442. Which is the point Neville is trying to make.

Players are defined by their roles and these roles define where they play in the formation right? So if you are a striker you are listed in the last number, just as would be as an inverted winger. Midfielders are defined in the second level as are traditional wingers who offer little goal threat. In effect though the fullbacks of today can be listed in the second level too.

Emirates Marketing Project can play a 2422, 2332, 2341 or a 244 or you can throw in another level into that and create a 23122 or 23131. Do we argue that Nasri and Silva play on a seperate level of the pyramind between the strikers and the midfield or not? If there was perhaps one striker ahead of them then no doubt they would be in a 433 or 4231/4213. The number pyramid for me is defined by the limitations of the players and how they get about the pitch.

442 can seem limited if neither of your strikers link up play, if neither of your midfielders can cover the ground needed or defend or if your wingers can only beat a fullback to cross it. If however you have a midfielder who can defend, one or two wingers who have the freedom to float where they want and two strikers who as comfortable at dropping deep as they are in front of goal then your 442 is a different animal.

Team that loses best player and signs 7 others in 'taking time to adjust' shocker.

That's true but whilst AVB gets credit for making Bale the player he is, it's funny how he doesn't get any blame for NONE of the SEVEN signings playing consistently well in his time.

Although a bit ironic he criticising another coach for not being qualified enough.

Was AVB qualified enough? Yeah he did well at Porto (Portugal's biggest club) but hey ho, he failed at Chelsea and yet Levy still thought it was a good idea to give him another shot at a top 6 club without ever suceeding in England.

Great post

That's true but whilst AVB gets credit for making Bale the player he is, it's funny how he doesn't get any blame for NONE of the SEVEN signings playing consistently well in his time.

yeah cause he had a massive six months to get that done...

3 women can't make a baby in 3 months

yeah cause he had a massive six months to get that done...

3 women can't make a baby in 3 months

I wasn't expecting all of them to be firing or even 4/5 of them, but ONE would have been nice. As Suiyha pointed out, Eriksen looks like a better player under Sherwood, as does Adebayor again. Did you honestly not expect one of the new signings to be playing better 3 months into the season?

personally, I thought they'd all hit the ground running and we'd have the league won by Christmas, but I'm an idiot

i don't think it's surprising that none are at 100% yet, other than Soldado they have all had injuries at some point and a lot of strikers take time to adapt to the pl

personally, I thought they'd all hit the ground running and we'd have the league won by Christmas, but I'm an idiot

i don't think it's surprising that none are at 100% yet, other than Soldado they have all had injuries at some point and a lot of strikers take time to adapt to the pl

Come on be serious, no one thought we could win the league but people rightly expected us to be playing better than we were. I'm not going to blame him for all of the signings but in he never gave Lamela a chance (I accept Sherwood hasn't yet either but it's only been 5 games) and he dropped Eriksen because of one shocker against West Ham. It's not being silly or unrealistic to expect just one of the new signings to look impressive after almost half a season, well to me it isn't anyway, we'll have to leave it there I guess.

Back