• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Tim Sherwood has warned Mauricio Pochettino that the Tottenham job is a step up from managing Southampton.

Pochettino's future on the South Coast has been thrown into doubt following the resignation of chairman Nicola Cortese on Wednesday.

The Argentine said in the summer he would follow Cortese out of the door. He looks set to stay at Southampton until the end of the season but would offer no further guarantees beyond then.

Pochettino was strongly linked to the managerial vacancy at Spurs when Andre Villas-Boas was sacked last month but Sherwood, who was instead handed an 18-month contract, insists his job is very different.

Sherwood said: 'The expectation at this club is far greater than they have at Southampton.

'We were talking about that last week on the development side and used Andros Townsend as an example.

'If he was at Southampton he would not have had nine loans – he would have had his development through the leagues there; League One, the Championship and so on. Like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott. That is the market they are in.'

Sherwood knows he is under pressure to succeed at White Hart Lane. His predecessor Villas-Boas was axed just four months into the season after the club invested more than £100million on new players but were struggling in the league.

Sherwood added: 'At the moment it is going all right, especially in the league. Long may that continue and if it does, it will be hard for somebody to come in here and push me out of the seat.

'I am realistic enough to know the ambitions of this club are very, very high and the demands are high.

'I knew that before I took the job and I am just hoping I can do enough to keep the job in the long term.'

The 44-year-old former Spurs players is one of only four English bosses currently in charge in the top flight. He believes others are rooting for him to fly the flag for home-grown managers.

He added: 'Recent history suggests there is a tendency to go for foreign names. The pressure is on.

'There are a lot of English coaches – young English coaches – hoping I do well. A lot of well-wishers who hope it will open up the door for them to have an opportunity.

'It is unfair, but I am happy that it is unfair because I have got an opportunity.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2541498/Sherwood-warns-Pochettino-Spurs-job-harder-Southampton.html

Wow. The paranoia has already set it.

Macbeth is already fearful of his Macduff.

Tim Sherwood has warned Mauricio Pochettino that the Tottenham job is a step up from managing Southampton.

Pochettino's future on the South Coast has been thrown into doubt following the resignation of chairman Nicola Cortese on Wednesday.

The Argentine said in the summer he would follow Cortese out of the door. He looks set to stay at Southampton until the end of the season but would offer no further guarantees beyond then.

Pochettino was strongly linked to the managerial vacancy at Spurs when Andre Villas-Boas was sacked last month but Sherwood, who was instead handed an 18-month contract, insists his job is very different.

Sherwood said: 'The expectation at this club is far greater than they have at Southampton.

'We were talking about that last week on the development side and used Andros Townsend as an example.

'If he was at Southampton he would not have had nine loans – he would have had his development through the leagues there; League One, the Championship and so on. Like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott. That is the market they are in.'

Sherwood knows he is under pressure to succeed at White Hart Lane. His predecessor Villas-Boas was axed just four months into the season after the club invested more than £100million on new players but were struggling in the league.

Sherwood added: 'At the moment it is going all right, especially in the league. Long may that continue and if it does, it will be hard for somebody to come in here and push me out of the seat.

'I am realistic enough to know the ambitions of this club are very, very high and the demands are high.

'I knew that before I took the job and I am just hoping I can do enough to keep the job in the long term.'

The 44-year-old former Spurs players is one of only four English bosses currently in charge in the top flight. He believes others are rooting for him to fly the flag for home-grown managers.

He added: 'Recent history suggests there is a tendency to go for foreign names. The pressure is on.

'There are a lot of English coaches – young English coaches – hoping I do well. A lot of well-wishers who hope it will open up the door for them to have an opportunity.

'It is unfair, but I am happy that it is unfair because I have got an opportunity.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2541498/Sherwood-warns-Pochettino-Spurs-job-harder-Southampton.html

Dear Tim,

Please concentrate on coaching and training YOUR TEAM and forget what is going in elsewhere. If you get 4th, I'm sure Levy will be more likely to keep you and not go for Mauricio.

So in short, take heed of what Harry before you should have done: let your talking be done on the pitch and please STFU.

Ta

Dear Tim,

Please concentrate on coaching and training YOUR TEAM and forget what is going in elsewhere. If you get 4th, I'm sure Levy will be more likely to keep you and not go for Mauricio.

So in short, take heed of what Harry before you should have done: let your talking be done on the pitch and please STFU.

Ta

I agree Sherwood shouldn't be talking about this, but Harry got fourth twice and still couldn't keep his job!

During Bale's 15 game spell we scored 26 goals in 15 which works out at 1.733 goals per game.
However in the 23 games before that, we scored 40 in 23 which works out at 1.739 goals per game.

So we didn't improve as a team during Bale's spell. He keep us ticking over at the same scoring rate. The rest of the team fell away. Bale went from scoring 22.5% of our goals to scoring 46% of them.

When Bale left. The players were still conditioned that someone else in the team would come through and score our goals, it wasn't their responsibility. Our scoring rate dropped to 9 goals in 12 games at the start of the season.

Team that loses best player and signs 7 others in 'taking time to adjust' shocker.

Sunderland (H), Southampton (H), West Ham (A), West Brom (A), Wigan (A), Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H), Norwich (A) and then numerous cup games (Lyon at home for instance).

Southamton you get, no doubt. We were awful and were saved by Bale.

We fully deserved to be beating Sunderland, West Ham, West Brom. It just so happens that Bale being our best player got the goals. But as a team we played well and it wasn't like we needed him to pull us out of a rut.

Wigan away Bale scored a rebounded goal after charging down a keepers' clearance that any player could have scored. Norwich away we weren't great but neither were Norwich so a draw was probably fair. Saudi Sportswashing Machine wasn't a bad performance from our point of view, Bale again just being the guy that gets our goals but again, it wasn't him pulling us out of a rut.

Dear Tim,

Ta

Most likely he was specifically asked about this by a journalist.

Answering a question like this doesn't imply that he's not concentrating on his job training our team. Answering "no comment" would just invite more speculation I think, answering like he did doesn't hurt the club at all.

I think it's clear Tim needs to perform and achieve something this season and otherwise, MP is one of the guys in the frame. On the one hand I think MP would do well for us but on the other I don't think it would last as Levy would want too much control.

I agree Sherwood shouldn't be talking about this, but Harry got fourth twice and still couldn't keep his job!

Dont really see what the issue is with what he has said, and not really comparable to Harry who was flirting around the England job and took his eye of the ball.

Basically he has said that our job comes with a lot more pressure than managing Southampton, he also states he knows he has to get results otherwise he will lose his position, he talks about wanting to do well and be a success!

Whats the issue with that? Surely the guy is allowed an opinion? and the point is valid....Mauricio might not be able to handle the pressure of managing us. fair comment really, Tim knows that he has to prove himself and fight for his job....this should keep him on his toes which is good news for us I would say and means that he is more unlikely to take his eye of the ball.

Most likely he was specifically asked about this by a journalist.

Answering a question like this doesn't imply that he's not concentrating on his job training our team. Answering "no comment" would just invite more speculation I think, answering like he did doesn't hurt the club at all.

I think a lot of questions I think are well-placed by the media. With TS's obvious links to the media I dare say, that question was well-placed in a sort of way to advertise himself as much as possible. The bit about 'a lot of English coaches are hoping he does well' is a nice bit of pro-English coaches PR. I think that part was definitely rehearsed

I think a lot of questions I think are well-placed by the media. With TS's obvious links to the media I dare say, that question was well-placed in a sort of way to advertise himself as much as possible. The bit about 'a lot of English coaches are hoping he does well' is a nice bit of pro-English coaches PR. I think that part was definitely rehearsed

For something that is at best speculation you seem strangely confident in your view and I see no reasoning supporting your view other than "I think it's so".

Have you seen video of the question being answered? Or are you basing this only on what you've read? Seems like a massive stretch to conclude as you have.

This seems to happen over and over again. Journalist asks question, manager answers question, people read way too much into it.

Although a bit ironic he criticising another coach for not being qualified enough.

For something that is at best speculation you seem strangely confident in your view and I see no reasoning supporting your view other than "I think it's so".

Have you seen video of the question being answered? Or are you basing this only on what you've read? Seems like a massive stretch to conclude as you have.

This seems to happen over and over again. Journalist asks question, manager answers question, people read way too much into it.

Things I've read about Sherwood seem to indicate that he is almost as well-connected with the media as Harry. I think that tends to show biased questioning, biased reporting and often light-touch critique. Yes, I believe that question was well-placed. Why wasn't he asked about other managers previously for example? Pottechino is not the only manager we've been linked with since AVB left

Things I've read about Sherwood seem to indicate that he is almost as well-connected with the media as Harry. I think that tends to show biased questioning, biased reporting and often light-touch critique. Yes, I believe that question was well-placed. Why wasn't he asked about other managers previously for example? Pottechino is not the only manager we've been linked with since AVB left

You seriously see no dissonance between the speculative nature of your assumption and the definite security you assert it with?

But he's the only realistic one we've been linked with who potentially could have become available this week?

But he's the only realistic one we've been linked with who potentially could have become available this week?

Sherwood has an 18 month contact and has won 4 league games out of 5, whilst Pottechino has won what 2 out of 10 or something.
Who even thinks that Levy would even think about sidelining Sherwood now for Pottechino (apart from GB, that is) after he's given him an 18-month contract??

As I said, question seemed very well-placed. If it came around the time of the game at St Mary's it'd be more understandable

You seriously see no dissonance between the speculative nature of your assumption and the definite security you assert it with?

I believe media speculation can often be random, but in the case of certain people well-connected with them (such as Harry) certain questions/speculation are well-placed. Happy for those who work much closely within the media, especially sports media, to back me up or blast me down.

Sherwood has an 18 month contact and has won 4 league games out of 5, whilst Pottechino has won what 2 out of 10 or something.
Who even thinks that Levy would even think about sidelining Sherwood now for Pottechino (apart from GB, that is) after he's given him an 18-month contract??

As I said, question seemed very well-placed. If it came around the time of the game at St Mary's it'd be more understandable

It isn't really about what's realistic, it is about what the media have previously suggested may happen.

Sherwood has the most points from his first 5 league games of any of our managers EVER.

Win tomorrow and his worst run of 6 games is better than AVB's best run of 6 games. Sherwood might not be the long term solution, but I know I rate him far higher than his predecessor, so for now I'll just get behind him and hope for the best.

Some of you seem quite offended at the thought of going old school English 4-4-2. Apparently that's retro and not fashionable any more. Please ignore the fact that Emirates Marketing Project have been raping everyone in sight playing 4-4-2 this season. Or that Man Utd won the league by a country mile last season playing it. Yes, I know Rooney dropped deep and played like a midfielder sometimes, but does Adebayor goal hang? Maybe, just maybe, the best way to get results out of our squad at the moment, given players being injured and who the opposition were, was 4-4-2? Sure, I'd love to see how Bentaleb, Sandro and Eriksen does as a three man central midfield, but it's got results and plenty of goals so far - more goals in Tim's 5 league games than the final 11 under AVB. We've also conceded fewer goals in Tim's 5 games put together than we did in that Liverpool game that got AVB sacked. Hardly as open and reckless as some of you seem to think it is.

I think something that's really key to look at when you look at how well a manger is doing is how well he gets certain players to perform. Bale aside, I don't think there's anyone that played better under AVB than Harry. Sherwood hasn't had a chance to utilise a lot of his squad, but I've certainly been impressed with the rise in standards from Adebayor, Eriksen, Lennon and Dawson. Paulhino played his best game for us against Stoke before getting injured. Dembele's best form for us was the start of last season, but he's improved a bit, even Soldado looks a little better. I hope when they're fit, he can get even more out of Townsend, Lamela, Sigursson, Vertonghen and Sandro too.

People talked about him being "highly rated" for years. Well maybe we're now starting to see why.

Back