• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Timmeh hasn't played any good teams yet (bar an imploding United)?

Hahahaha you're funny...and reaching ever so slightly.

Southampton away, a possession based team, at the time had they even lost at St mary's? (i think maybe once or twice).

Regarding possession football (you know the thing people had hardons for AVB for implementing). Can the pro AVB camp explain how it is we've got superior possession stats now? even playing a 4-4-2 system? i would like to know.

Partly it's down to playing teams that couldn't keep possession from a Sunday League team. Mostly it's because, whilst we have more possession, it's for more short periods rather than a few longer periods.

That's why we can have more possession without at any point looking like we're controlling the game - because we're only ever a pass or two from conceding possession.

Partly it's down to playing teams that couldn't keep possession from a Sunday League team. Mostly it's because, whilst we have more possession, it's for more short periods rather than a few longer periods.

That's why we can have more possession without at any point looking like we're controlling the game - because we're only ever a pass or two from conceding possession.

Interesting view, without the stat I definitely felt watching the games that we had conceded more possession under TS, one of the reasons the defense looks shaky as ****.

Not looking to jump on either side because I stuck up for AVB plenty of times and I'm actually quite liking Sherwood, but.... I've seen this Utd thing mentioned a few times recently, "it was a great time to go to Old Trafford", "Utd imploding" but weren't they on the back of a 5 or 6 game winning streak in the league when we went there and pundits backing them to get back in to the title race? The complete opposite of a good time to go there or them imploding !

It's funny how now we're getting into specifics about what "possession" really is.

Whilst the previous manager was in charge there was no such thing done. The possession stats were posted and the manager was 'bigged up' for such impressive stats. Fast forward to Sherwood and we now analyse:

1) the opposition
2) the possession being short periods or long.
3) if we're controlling the game or not

It is rather funny...but stats don't lie right? we've improved our possession count playing 4-4-2 :ross:

The 'run around a bit' manager has beaten the possession based football genius mastermind, the irony :ross:

I thought that we did quite well holding possession, playing out time and resting in possession towards the end of the game on Saturday. Hopefully, this is something that we can build on.

I thought that we did quite well holding possession, playing out time and resting in possession towards the end of the game on Saturday. Hopefully, this is something that we can build on.

Only in last 5 or so minutes, for me

- First half was appalling effort and energy wise, opponents saw way too much of the ball.
- 2nd half we improved the effort, energy and got into the game, but opponents still had too much of the ball (chance to hurt us).

Not defending AVB, but his type of possession was more defensive, I.e. opponent can't hurt you if they don't have ball, problem was we didn't know what to do to hurt opponent even though we had ball. TS possession seems a little less "protective" we turnover easier, but are also more attacking with.

Only in last 5 or so minutes, for me

- First half was appalling effort and energy wise, opponents saw way too much of the ball.
- 2nd half we improved the effort, energy and got into the game, but opponents still had too much of the ball (chance to hurt us).

Not defending AVB, but his type of possession was more defensive, I.e. opponent can't hurt you if they don't have ball, problem was we didn't know what to do to hurt opponent even though we had ball. TS possession seems a little less "protective" we turnover easier, but are also more attacking with.

I agree that we were incredibly poor in the first half. I thought that it was encouraging that this was put right at half time

It's funny how now we're getting into specifics about what "possession" really is.

Whilst the previous manager was in charge there was no such thing done. The possession stats were posted and the manager was 'bigged up' for such impressive stats. Fast forward to Sherwood and we now analyse:

1) the opposition

It is rather funny...but stats don't lie right? we've improved our possession count playing 4-4-2 :ross:

The 'run around a bit' manager has beaten the possession based football genius mastermind, the irony :ross:

this

the bigger irony is that our possesion stats are counted against the poorer teams under AVB as well. why no one moans that we have 100+ million pounds worth of good on the team versus sunday league teams i dont know

rubbishing Tim sherwood is fine for some, but there is a blatant double standard thing going on when they put the quality of the oppostion as an excuse for sherwood getting points , yet that same excuse was what was given to AVB for NOT getting points and having dire coma inducing stuff because apparently the oppostion team would camp out

fact of the matter is that Tim sherwood , all things considered, is doing a great job.....it will upset some due to some kind of ideology of what kind of manager they want...but i think dealing with it is the medicine of the hour

can someone clarify what this means

"hat's why we can have more possession without at any point looking like we're controlling the game - because we're only ever a pass or two from conceding possession."

not really sure how that makes sense or what the point is

Compare that to putting out 'paint drying performances' and 'laboured uninventive dull performances' against the same teams.....with the added benefit of not getting a single win against the top teams AND being absolutely BATTERED to the point of depression - no fight - quitting/sacking

maybe , just maybe...a win is a win and we should be valuing every 3 points that comes our way no matter who we get it off of

this

the bigger irony is that our possesion stats are counted against the poorer teams under AVB as well. why no one moans that we have 100+ million pounds worth of good on the team versus sunday league teams i dont know

rubbishing Tim sherwood is fine for some, but there is a blatant double standard thing going on when they put the quality of the oppostion as an excuse for sherwood getting points , yet that same excuse was what was given to AVB for NOT getting points and having dire coma inducing stuff because apparently the oppostion team would camp out

fact of the matter is that Tim sherwood , all things considered, is doing a great job.....it will upset some due to some kind of ideology of what kind of manager they want...but i think dealing with it is the medicine of the hour

"hat's why we can have more possession without at any point looking like we're controlling the game - because we're only ever a pass or two from conceding possession."

not really sure how that makes sense or what the point is

Oh African this post just Charmont....

Take a bow and light a cigar

=D>

Scara, I believe you are in charge of hiring people in your role (whatever it is you do for a living) is that correct? Do you hire people based solely on their appearance or how they talk or do you look at their backgrounds too i.e. the references they got from their previous employers and the kind of roles/companies they've done/worked for in the past? And what would you do if you hired someone who initially showed lots of promise but gradually started to show signs that he wasn't really up to the job? Of course you have to give people time, you can't sack someone because he/she has a bad first week at the job, but I'm assuming you would look bad if you kept someone on for a long time and they ultimately continued to fail to deliver on that early promise?

1) the opposition

No team keeps possession just for the sake of it, and I know you're too intelligent to really believe that anyone here thinks or suggests they do.

The whole point of possession is to control the pace of the game, where on the pitch it's played, to avoid running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes, etc.

So yes, the manner of the possession does matter a lot. If all of your possession periods are 10 seconds long and the opponent's possession periods are all 5 seconds long, the stats will look amazing. That doesn't mean you've been in control of the game at all though.

And no, stats don't lie, but people misuse and misunderstand them all the time.

I think we did for a small amount of time at the end of a match, against a very tired, almost certain to be relegated team. It's encouraging that Timmeh saw that we needed to slow down, it's not so encouraging that it took so long for him to notice.

See my reply above to KD for part of the explanation.

The answer is that "more possession" in itself isn't controlling a game. It's not forcing the opposition into mistakes and it's not giving us any advantage.

There's no point having more possession only to lob in another pointless cross leaving the opposition a free run on our two centre backs and (if we're lucky) a full back.

Scara, I believe you are in charge of hiring people in your role (whatever it is you do for a living) is that correct? Do you hire people based solely on their appearance or how they talk or do you look at their backgrounds too i.e. the references they got from their previous employers and the kind of roles/companies they've done/worked for in the past? And what would you do if you hired someone who initially showed lots of promise but gradually started to show signs that he wasn't really up to the job? Of course you have to give people time, you can't sack someone because he/she has a bad first week at the job, but I'm assuming you would look bad if you kept someone on for a long time and they ultimately continued to fail to deliver on that early promise?

I don't think your analogy is accurate.

A more accurate analogy would be if I employed someone who wanted to make some major changes, that would make things worse in the short term but far better in the long term.

What I would do is give him the time required to make those changes - I made that appointment, I should have the balls to hold steady until he's had the time do complete the work. If it then isn't working them I'd have to hold up my hands and say it was a mistake.

One thing I absolutely wouldn't do is sack the financial controller and replace him with the sales manager who keeps telling me that the FC is **** at his job and he could do it much better.

Back