• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I'm sure you can, but not many leave such a gap between defence and midfield - not in open play. They don't do it as often as us either.

Hopefully Timmeh is just slow at implementing fixes rather than bad a spotting problems, so it might be fixed soon. Either that or they'll just shuffle across a bit.

It's going to continue to be a problem whilst Dawson is in the team and we cannot afford to push the defence up because of the risk of being done for pace.

arsenal-2-spurs-0-gnabry-space-2nd-half.jpg

this huge gap in the front of the central defenders is what we need to fix quick

Mike Dean does a better job of tracking Walcott than our players. When Walker has gone that far up the pitch it's crucial that one of the CMs drop deeper to cover.

Manager:.................Andre Villas-Boas.......Tim Sherwood
Games Played...............16...........................5
Goals per Game.............0.94........................2.20
Shots / Game................12.9.......................9.6
Shooting Accuracy........44.4%.....................43.8%
Chance Conversion.........7.2%......................22.9%
Passing Accuracy...........83.0%....................81.7%
Average Possession.........56.3%...................56.4%
Conceded /Game.............1.31.....................0.80

Interesting, pushing two up may have helped the goals scored and conversion % but possession, passing and accuracy almost exactly the same.

Mike Dean does a better job of tracking Walcott than our players. When Walker has gone that far up the pitch it's crucial that one of the CMs drop deeper to cover.

This

You can see from the player placement Arsenal are on the counter (Walker's position etc). If we looked like that when Arsenal attacked from back to front, then we would have reason to worry. Not saying we could do without a holding midfielder to shield the defence, just that that screen shot is probably the best one to show the gap when at other times it may not have been.

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/5600-Was-Levy-right-to-sack-AVB

That's the philosophy you should have adopted when we were getting our us handed to us 0-3, 0-5, 0-6 (1 of those team being west ****ing sham at home). Sadly you adopted no such philosophy on any of those occasions.

What did you say about AVB's tactics after the City game? ah that's it...how that was a freak result and we'll always be 'in it" against our rivals because of the way our team is set out. What happened a few games later? 0-5 at home to a rival.

I'm convinced that a lot of Spurs fans were simply wowed by the AVB brand so to speak, allow me to explain; young, promising manager, "the next Mourinho", winning the Europa League, the way he talks and presents himself, the pristine suits and carefully measured interviews and talking a good game despite not delivering the results. I've seen it in my job many times, managers utterly transfixed by people who are great talkers, whether they actually get results is irrelevant. So in their minds, even if Sherwood does succeed and prove people wrong, he gets zero credit as AVB would have achieved the same anyway despite results pointing to the contrary.

we even win the possession battle with Sherwood :lol:

I'm convinced that a lot of Spurs fans were simply wowed by the AVB brand so to speak, allow me to explain; young, promising manager, "the next Mourinho", winning the Europa League, the way he talks and presents himself, the pristine suits and carefully measured interviews and talking a good game despite not delivering the results. I've seen it in my job many times, managers utterly transfixed by people who are great talkers, whether they actually get results is irrelevant. So in their minds, even if Sherwood does succeed and prove people wrong, he gets zero credit as AVB would have achieved the same anyway despite results pointing to the contrary.

Agreed.

I'm amazed our chance conversion rate wasn't higher under AVB considering that we only created about one chance per game.

You take the rough with the smooth. Granted it's still early days but aren't you the least bit impressed with the number of goals we've scored and chances we've created? Even at Old Trafford we had at least two really good chances to score besides the goals we did score. And we get more than one player into the opposing box, AVB would have had a nosebleed if we'd done that under him.

You take the rough with the smooth. Granted it's still early days but aren't you the least bit impressed with the number of goals we've scored and chances we've created? Even at Old Trafford we had at least two really good chances to score besides the goals we did score. And we get more than one player into the opposing box, AVB would have had a nosebleed if we'd done that under him.

His side did better than Timbo's at Old Trafford. 3 goals scored. :lol:

EDIT: I'm mischief making…Timbo, as you know, has my support…and yes, I also liked AVB.

It's less the brand, rather that many feel he is the exact type of manager that we need if we are going to over perfom against more financial endowed rivals. Eg someone who favours implementing a system, and needs the patience of club and fans to make it work.

I'd agree with the 'despite results pointing to the contrary line' if overall results were bad. In actual fact we took a few hammerings but were still matching last season points wise. Infact, I'd say the fact that the hammerings didn't dampen the players confidence in AVB and the fact that we always bounced back, showed pretty well that the hammerings were to do with something other than 'inept manager' or 'bad system'. It was just poor application of the system in those specific games that cost us. But we always recovered.

Please can we get this thread back on topic. Nothing against AVB chat but it belongs elsewhere.

I'm amazed our chance conversion rate wasn't higher under AVB considering that we only created about one chance per game.

It should really say shot conversion as it's open to interpretation as to what a "chance" is. Watching our games though you can clearly see that we're creating better chances now, hence why our conversion rate is far better.

It should really say shot conversion as it's open to interpretation as to what a "chance" is. Watching our games though you can clearly see that we're creating better chances now, hence why our conversion rate is far better.

I don't fully agree with what. I can see why it appears that way as under AVB, the match could be going at quite a slow tempo, people probably looking around at each other thinking 'well this is ****' only for proper chances to then come in a burst, followed by a slow period again. But ultimately, I think the idea that we created a poor amount of real good chances under AVB got exagerrated.

Against WBA at home a few weeks ago for example, people were happier with the performance compared to some of AVB's games even though it really was the same kind of dog**** we produced against Hull, just at a quicker tempo. Tempo gets equated to playing well even though against WBA we barely created anything decent.

Against Palace, the less said about that game the better, but it's hardly like we created raft upon raft of chances. Although I did see in the Palace came a much more controlled performance in the second half once we had gotten the lead, which I was quite impressed with. It showed the team had been practising something during the week as the set up was obvious. We were good and patient with the ball, and Palace had shot their load.

It's less the brand, rather that many feel he is the exact type of manager that we need if we are going to over perfom against more financial endowed rivals. Eg someone who favours implementing a system, and needs the patience of club and fans to make it work.

I'd agree with the 'despite results pointing to the contrary line' if overall results were bad. In actual fact we took a few hammerings but were still matching last season points wise. Infact, I'd say the fact that the hammerings didn't dampen the players confidence in AVB and the fact that we always bounced back, showed pretty well that the hammerings were to do with something other than 'inept manager' or 'bad system'. It was just poor application of the system in those specific games that cost us. But we always recovered.

That's all fine and good but if the results are poor, the style of play is poor and it doesn't mesh with the personnel in we have in our squad i.e. slow, dire and ponderous football with a wealth of attacking talent in our armoury then all of that goes out the window I'm afraid mate.

Again, the points total is irrelevant if we finish 6th or 7th and the teams around us improve. You have to judge your progress based on what your rivals do too. No point just shrugging our shoulders at the end of May and saying "oh well everyone else just got better, nothing we did wrong". Why did the other teams overrtake us despite our fanbase insisting we're miles better than Liverpool and Everton?

I don't fully agree with what. I can see why it appears that way as under AVB, the match could be going at quite a slow tempo, people probably looking around at each other thinking 'well this is ****' only for proper chances to then come in a burst, followed by a slow period again. But ultimately, I think the idea that we created a poor amount of real good chances under AVB got exagerrated.

Against WBA at home a few weeks ago for example, people were happier with the performance compared to some of AVB's games even though it really was the same kind of dog**** we produced against Hull, just at a quicker tempo. Tempo gets equated to playing well even though against WBA we barely created anything decent.

Against Palace, the less said about that game the better, but it's hardly like we created raft upon raft of chances. Although I did see in the Palace came a much more controlled performance in the second half once we had gotten the lead, which I was quite impressed with. It showed the team had been practising something during the week as the set up was obvious. We were good and patient with the ball, and Palace had shot their load.

WBA is a bad example, I for one wasn't impressed. Don't get me wrong it was better than what AVB served up, but it still wasn't good enough. Possibly just a case of people wanting to give Sherwood time. Surely you can appreciate this considering how patient you and the likes of Scara were when AVB was manager. The word "overreaction" even did the rounds after the Liverpool game, if you can't be upset after getting gubbed 5-0 at home to them on the back of 3-0 and 6-0 whitewashes then I don't know when you have the right to be annoyed.

Regarding possession football (you know the thing people had hardons for AVB for implementing). Can the pro AVB camp explain how it is we've got superior possession stats now? even playing a 4-4-2 system? i would like to know.

Regarding possession football (you know the thing people had hardons for AVB for implementing). Can the pro AVB camp explain how it is we've got superior possession stats now? even playing a 4-4-2 system? i would like to know.

And still managed to create hardly any chances unless 25 yard potshots count despite dominating possession in most games.

Timmeh hasn't played any good teams yet (bar an imploding United)?

Back