• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

His 15 months after taking over Inglethorpe's all-conquering side, after Inglethorpe got poached by Liverpool, you mean?

A good point but still harsh to say that he had nothing to do with their progression after he took over.

My main gripe is too many people don't seem to be prepared to give him this month let alone this season as manager.

Let him be judged on his results not on his lack of experience.

But that inherently is the challenge with appointing someone with no experience.

In a very simplified view, you appoint a manager based on whatever criteria (pick your flavor of the month), then a few results go south (as will always happen).

- With the amount of money at stake, the board Levy have to look at bad runs and say "can this guy turn it around"?
- With an experienced manager, they/he have a record that you can look at and say, done it before, we can feel justified by giving him some space/time to make it happen
- With absolutely no experience (and no, youth/academy does not count), how are you managing risk? do you get involved (interfere)? how many games is enough, etc.
- As well (especially in England), with no "brand" how much is the media going to ride those bad results, leading to fan discontent, bad game atmosphere, list goes on ..

That as I have mentioned before is my concern re the TS appointment, it's not is he good enough (which is a significant unanswered question), it is the fact that he is highly unlikely ever to be given a fair run, so why do it in the first place?

But that inherently is the challenge with appointing someone with no experience.

In a very simplified view, you appoint a manager based on whatever criteria (pick your flavor of the month), then a few results go south (as will always happen).

- With the amount of money at stake, the board Levy have to look at bad runs and say "can this guy turn it around"?
You mean like AVB or Jol?

With an experienced manager, they/he have a record that you can look at and say, done it before, we can feel justified by giving him some space/time to make it happen
Santini?

With absolutely no experience (and no, youth/academy does not count), how are you managing risk? do you get involved (interfere)? how many games is enough, etc.
If things don't work out right those questions equally apply to an experienced manager. At least with Sherwood the board has the "interim manager leaves club" to fall back on.

As well (especially in England), with no "brand" how much is the media going to ride those bad results, leading to fan discontent, bad game atmosphere, list goes on ..
I believe the lack of "brand" may work in his benefit as well, imagine the fallout had we apponted Van Gaal and had a lost 4 record rather than won 4.

That as I have mentioned before is my concern re the TS appointment, it's not is he good enough (which is a significant unanswered question), it is the fact that he is highly unlikely ever to be given a fair run, so why do it in the first place?
I reckon he'll be given as fair a run by Levy and the board as any other manager would be given, after all if he's succesful Levy can say "Hell I'm a genius in appointing him" and if Sherwood fails Levy says "He was only the interim manager until we got someone better" to me that's a win-win situation for Levy.

Camspur, as I said, I have no insight into TS, nor a pre judgment other than lack of knowledge re his management capabilities.

I do however have management experience in hiring people with significant financial pressures to deliver, experience rightly or wrongly is a big part of mitigating the risk of failure (as by the way is ability to work with local culture, settle in quickly, etc.)

Right or wrong, agree or disagree, Levy has taken the biggest managerial risk appointment of his career here.

Camspur, as I said, I have no insight into TS, nor a pre judgment other than lack of knowledge re his management capabilities.

I do however have management experience in hiring people with significant financial pressures to deliver, experience rightly or wrongly is a big part of mitigating the risk of failure (as by the way is ability to work with local culture, settle in quickly, etc.)

Right or wrong, agree or disagree, Levy has taken the biggest managerial risk appointment of his career here.

Which is why I'm convinced TS will be gone unless he performs exceptionally - e.g. delivers top 4. Once the club decides AVB is no longer the man for them, they've not written off the season but they are saying they are in a no lose situation. There's no man with the experienced and suitability to our club available right now, so we either let Tim perform his way into the job properly or we give him until the summer when he is likely to do a decent job until that point, before widening the search.

But I was judging AVB on long term objectives, since that is what he was trying to build.

So was I; I couldn't see signs that the system was going to click, we were playing poorly without penetration, players seemed confused and were not giving their all in every game.

People have been talking about Sherwood's managerial ability, but I thought he was a head coach? And key people in the game and at Spurs say he is a good head coach and he had good results with the youth teams, coaching them. It is a nice combination with him and Chris Ramsay as Sherwood can do the fronting up to the media and Ramsay can stick to what he's good at too.

Has anyone heard Phil Cornwell's impression of Timmeh on the Spurs Show yet? It is genius.

Has anyone heard Phil Cornwell's impression of Timmeh on the Spurs Show yet? It is genius.

Did he impersonate being our manager, picking up 13 points from a possible 15, scoring 11 goals and conceding 4? if he didn't then i'm not impressed.

arsenal-2-spurs-0-gnabry-space-2nd-half.jpg

this huge gap in the front of the central defenders is what we need to fix quick

I'm sure you can find stills of every team, in every game, where they've been caught in compromising positions/situations.

I'm sure you can, but not many leave such a gap between defence and midfield - not in open play. They don't do it as often as us either.

Hopefully Timmeh is just slow at implementing fixes rather than bad a spotting problems, so it might be fixed soon. Either that or they'll just shuffle across a bit.

Back