• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

FWIW: Eriksen was ranked 2nd in the league for distance run per game after gameweeks 4.

Slightly surprised to see Chadli was so high on the list.

COVBxsZWUAAyozt.jpg

This is the 2015/16 season. Since we are already out of the League Cup which is our only realistic chance of winning a trophy, we can count this season out. As ever, winning the FA Cup or Europa League is beyond our reach ! That leaves us with only the 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons in this decade. 2019/20 will be start of the new decade. Levy better do something within that period, either make the team good enough to win a trophy or give the chairman's post to someone else ! Surely, he don't want to be known as the worst ever Spurs chairman !

Levy's main mistake was appointing 2 managers who can't win a trophy in the magical year that ends with "1" : Hoddle in 2001 and Redknapp in 2011. We were fortunate the legendary Ramos won us Worth.Cup in 2008. But we are not so fortunate in this decade so far.
Why is the FA cup not realistic?

FWIW: Eriksen was ranked 2nd in the league for distance run per game after gameweeks 4.

Slightly surprised to see Chadli was so high on the list.

COVBxsZWUAAyozt.jpg
Puzzling that fullbacks don't feature prominently on these lists. You would think they cover the most ground than anyone.

I wouldn't write us off for the FA Cup or Europa just yet, but I agree it's unlikely.

Fair point though, hadn't thought about it that the 2019/2020 season is actually the start of a new decade in terms of trophies.

Well, we have never looked convincing in any of the Cup matches under Pochettino. And he has just played a weak team against our hated rivals Arsenal in the League Cup. He has shown that his priority is the league. Don't think he will treat the FA Cup or Europa League any different. With our squad lacking in strength of depth, can see him play weak teams in both that competitions as well.

Why is the FA cup not realistic?

All the big teams take the FA Cup more seriously than the League Cup. Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU, Liverpool and ManCity have won 21 of the 24 Finals since we last won it in 1991. And FA Cup has become a jinxed competition to us since winning it in 1991. We have lost 6 semi finals since then. I am not convinced Pochettino will be able to overcome that jinx as we lost to Leicester at home in Round 4 last season.

All the big teams take the FA Cup more seriously than the League Cup. Ar5ena1, Chel53a, ManU, Liverpool and ManCity have won 21 of the 24 Finals since we last won it in 1991. And FA Cup has become a jinxed competition to us since winning it in 1991. We have lost 6 semi finals since then. I am not convinced Pochettino will be able to overcome that jinx as we lost to Leicester at home in Round 4 last season.
Ah, so because we're jinxed we don't stand a chance. That's a very logical argument. :)

Looking at the form table again; http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

• Spurs are the only team in the top flight to be unbeaten in their last 6 games.

(cursed it now, we'll lose against Swansea)

So based on just the last 5 prem games we'd be top of the form table with 11 points. (Utd, Arsenal, spam 10 points)

Crazy really as bar this w/e none of us would say we were playing well.

Maybe the points needed to challenge for top 4 is lower this year...?

So based on just the last 5 prem games we'd be top of the form table with 11 points. (Utd, Ar5ena1, spam 10 points)

The fact is none of the teams in the PL have been consistent or convincing this season. ManCity was until recently but they have now lost 2 in a row. ManU are top but they have never been convincing in any of the matches. Just imagine, the defending champions Chelsea are in relegation battle after 7 games ! So, as of now, any team could win the league title this season. If only we have more strength in dept and quality in our squad, then we can even dream about fighting for the league title ! But unfortunately, Levy or Pochettino don't seem to have any ambitions for that !

Some gambling fella once said never bet on the first, or last, six games of the season. I do find it encouraging though that we've won the last couple and we seem to be gelling.

So based on just the last 5 prem games we'd be top of the form table with 11 points. (Utd, Ar5ena1, spam 10 points)

Speak for yourself. I haven't been posting on here, but plenty of posters on here have expressed the opinion I've held to that we've been playing well in most our games this season and that we've been unlucky not to pick up more points in the games against Stoke, Everton and Manchester United at the very least. We've also been up against some very much in form sides in Leicester and Palace that we've picked up 4 points against, overall over those 2 games I think we deserved 4 points. But because they're seen as lower half opposition we should just beat every time regardless of form and their other results some fans refuse to give the team credit for those performances.

The fact is none of the teams in the PL have been consistent or convincing this season. ManCity was until recently but they have now lost 2 in a row. ManU are top but they have never been convincing in any of the matches. Just imagine, the defending champions Chel53a are in relegation battle after 7 games ! So, as of now, any team could win the league title this season. If only we have more strength in dept and quality in our squad, then we can even dream about fighting for the league title ! But unfortunately, Levy or Pochettino don't seem to have any ambitions for that !

Wow... Great time for a complaint about those two I have to say...

Look at our squad will you?

GK - Vorm - perhaps not good enough.
RB - Walker and Trippier. Real cover and strength in depth.
LB - Rose and Davies. Same
CB - Same
CM - Dier, Alli, Mason, Bentaleb, Dembele. When was the last time we had that much competition for places, strenght in depth and quality in central deep midfield? Enlighten me please!
CAM - (left, right and centre) - Lamela, Eriksen, Son, Chadli, Clinton, Pritchard, Townsend, Dembele, Alli - Again much more strength in depth and competition than in years and years.
Striker - Difficult to judge. Son had a strong start here in the EL, Clinton looks raw. A problem spot.

I count two(!) positions where strength in depth and competition seems to be an issue. Goalkeeper and striker positions. Much of that strength in depth and quality has been amassed over the last 18 months by the supposedly unambitious Levy and Pocehttino. We've made a huge step in the right direction compared to last season, and already then we made a solid step forward.

If that doesn't make my point have a look at the City team yesterday when they were missing a couple of players... Or look at what United have had to spend to amass a competitive squad. Or look at Arsenal's strength in depth?

Speak for yourself. I haven't been posting on here, but plenty of posters on here have expressed the opinion I've held to that we've been playing well in most our games this season and that we've been unlucky not to pick up more points in the games against Stoke, Everton and Manchester United at the very least. We've also been up against some very much in form sides in Leicester and Palace that we've picked up 4 points against, overall over those 2 games I think we deserved 4 points. But because they're seen as lower half opposition we should just beat every time regardless of form and their other results some fans refuse to give the team credit for those performances.

I guess that's probably what i've come round to realising.

Don't get me wrong I'm pleased with results & actually thought we were v unlucky at Old Trafford + could easily have won any of the games we drew.

However, our play seemed nowhere near as consistent when compared with 09/10 season and therefore I'd assumed we were nowhere near getting CL spot. It seems we *might* be closer than I thought, and that the improved squads of bottom-half teams is making it harder for everyone.

English teams did fudge all again today and that 4th CL spot seems to be slipping away. Looks like we'll have to up our game and win the damn league.

English teams did fudge all again today and that 4th CL spot seems to be slipping away. Looks like we'll have to up our game and win the damn league.

I was thinking the same. We have been denied a CL place despite finishing in 4th before. It will be unacceptable if we lost out in a similiar situation again. This is why we need to aim higher, to atleast a top 3 place. But as of now, we should aim even higher, to win the league !

I was thinking the same. We have been denied a CL place despite finishing in 4th before. It will be unacceptable if we lost out in a similiar situation again. This is why we need to aim higher, to atleast a top 3 place. But as of now, we should aim even higher, to win the league !

Yes, that has to be our aim. We won't win the league, but aim for the league and maybe we'll finish top 4. Aim for top 4 and we'll likely finish 5th or 6th.

Yes, that has to be our aim. We won't win the league, but aim for the league and maybe we'll finish top 4. Aim for top 4 and we'll likely finish 5th or 6th.

Exactly. I have been saying this all along. Or target is just wrong. We have been aiming for only 4th place for the last 10 years or so ! So, it is not surprising that we only achieved 4th place twice in that period.

Back