• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

maybe not this year but second is more than achievable for a club our size if done properly.
As either Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project are going to win the league over the few years IMV the other is going to be in transition so as likely to fall short as not. That leaves Man U Arsenal Liverpool and us.
Man U still have a long way to go to achieve stability and can finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th depending on any number of factors.
Arsenal as a squad with depth are slowly sinking to meet our rising squad. First 12-14 players, better than ours but after that not so big a gap. Over season I don't think there's that big a difference in squad strength.
Liverpool are just such a car crash it's difficult to see them really sustaining any kind of momentum. If it wasn't for their almost ancient history and the media luv in then they wouldn't even be considered as likely top 4.

Winning the league if they have mad seasons (like this one) wouldn't be beyond us in a couple of years if we can keep on this trajectory but second or third is definitely in our grasp.
What is going for us is only one team can win the league, so one of the big three, Man U Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea are going to be rebuilding. That can go well but more often than not it takes at least 18 months.
Also the team that wins it one season now seems to struggle the next. So in theory with our stability, plan and less expectations we can get 2nd or 3rd as two out of the three money clubs will be struggling.

Maybe I'm to optimistic though

Looking at the table we have played five of the seven teams currently above us in the PL and lost to only one of them. Just think we're we'd be right now if only our main striker had not lost his midas touch in front of goal.

Looking at the table we have played five of the seven teams currently above us in the PL and lost to only one of them. Just think we're we'd be right now if only our main striker had not lost his midas touch in front of goal.

I thought he looked pretty good in front of goal yesterday, was a nice finish.

It is great to see we are now on a 7-match unbeaten run in the league. Credit to Pochettino for making us hard to beat. But he has a long way to go if he wants to emulate or overtake the 12-match unbeaten run under the legendary AVB in 2012/13 season !

That 12 match unbeaten run in 2012/13 :
Dec 16,2012 Tottenham 1 - 0 Swansea
Dec 22,2012 Tottenham 0 - 0 Stoke
Dec 26,2012 Aston Villa 0 - 4 Tottenham
Dec 29,2012 Sunderland 1 - 2 Tottenham
Jan 1,2013 Tottenham 3 - 1 Reading
Jan 12,2013 QPR 0 - 0 Tottenham
Jan 20,2013 Tottenham 1 - 1 Manchester United
Jan 30,2013 Norwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Feb 3,2013 West Bromwich 0 - 1 Tottenham
Feb 9,2013 Tottenham 2 - 1 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Feb 25,2013 West Ham 2 - 3 Tottenham
Mar 3,2013 Tottenham 2 - 1 Arsenal

That run started after the 1-2 defeat to Everton and ended with 2-3 defeat to Liverpool. We were very unlucky not to win those 2 matches as well. It is amazing how we still didn't finish in top 4 despite this run. It will be very difficult for Pochettino if he wants to overtake that as we face Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea in the next 6 matches.

Last edited:
From the BBC match report:

• Tottenham are on the longest current unbeaten run in the Premier League (eight games), since defeat at Manchester United on the opening day (W3 D5).
  • Gerard Houllier is still the only Liverpool manager to win his first Premier League game in charge at the club (2-1 v Southampton in 1998, he was joint-manager with Roy Evans at the time).
  • Liverpool have only won one of their last 10 Premier League away games (W1 D5 L4).
  • No goalkeeper has kept more clean sheets in the Premier League in 2015 than Liverpool's Simon Mignolet (13).
  • Spurs have failed to score in four of their last five Premier League games against Liverpool.
  • This is the fourth clean sheet Spurs have kept in their last six Premier League home matches.

_86178296_klopp13strides.png

I thought it was interesting because it meant we were out-running all previous opponents this season. I wouldn't expect even the fittest team to out run every opponent over a season, that would be an incredible stat.

I'd like to see the numbers for other teams and their results. 116 vs 115 or 114 doesn't seem much, but I like Dave Brailsford's comment about success being about lots of 1% edges. They can add up to domination.

It's more important WHERE and HOW you run. Running about in the wrong place makes you run a lot longer than you need to do. We are way ahead of Liverpool in that area, and Poch has done a great job with teaching the players situational and positional awareness.

Not sure why they'd fapp over that? they ran more than their own average distances in a difficult away game? That's when I'd expect teams to run the most. In a game where they found themselves winning 2-0 after half an hour at home I'd expect them to run less and if you added both together and divided by two you'd get the average*

*this is how averages are worked out.

They really didn't need a bar to clarify the league position in that last one, just confuses things

Our goal difference has been one of our biggest weaknesses over the past couple of seasons. I find it to be a good indicator of how valid a league position really is. A high league position but low goal difference indicates that the team has had a few lucky wins to elevate them up the table whereas they've been spanked a few times when the luck runs out. A good goal difference but lower league positions suggests the team can be brilliant on their day but have thrown away silly points, perhaps because of a lot of bad refereeing decisions / unlucky deflections or inexperienced players failing to close games out.

There will be a lot of talk about the fact that we're on the longest unbeaten run in the league. But it should also be noted that our goal difference of +8 is the best it's been after 10 games since Gascoigne and Lineker were here 25 years ago.

And to follow on from that point, our goal difference from the corresponding fixtures last season (if you swap Bournemouth for Hull) was -4. Even taking today aside a goalkeeping anomaly and different opposition to the ones we beat last season, that's still a big jump. Great to see.

This has come from both the goals scored and conceded, as we've improved in like for likes in both areas. Only Swansea have scored more goals against us this year than they did in the corresponding fixture last season, and that was because Kane booted it into his own net!

So beat Villa next week and we'll be unbeaten in 10 games and likely in the top 4.

That will be 30% of the season gone, 3-4 of our important squad players regularly injured and the team (& Kane) only just finding our stride.

Someone posted on here recently that the squad consider themselves one of the best teams in the league - starting to think we might be.

So beat Villa next week and we'll be unbeaten in 10 games and likely in the top 4.

That will be 30% of the season gone, 3-4 of our important squad players regularly injured and the team (& Kane) only just finding our stride.

Someone posted on here recently that the squad consider themselves one of the best teams in the league - starting to think we might be.

We have been the best side in every league game this season apart from possibly the Sunderland game

We have dominated so much football but just not took the wins we should

It's no confidence that the pundits are now taking notice and I think the league is crying out for more competition and were a side who can offer that.

The squad has one weakness in cover/alternative to Kane but we're looking very strong, incredibly hard to beat and we look like we're all pulling in the same direction.

Back