• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

Still got a great bobsled team.
:lol:

O299702-6b294.jpg

Jamaica
Pre 2008: 2 sprinters all-time had run sub 10-second 100m
Since 2008: 9 sprinters have run sub 10-second 100m

Where's my knowledge fail there exactly?

Jamaicans have had great sprinters for years. How many sprinters has the UK ever had run sub-10??

Any country in the world?

Blimey. You fudged up a bit there!!

Chinese have actually sent half as many athletes as they had at Beijing. When asked why, their head honcho said it's because they cannot hope to compete with US dominance.

Either extreme humility or supreme overconfidence...

So this sports programme actually yields fewer athletes?

Yes

My point is Jamaica where always the top country when it comes to sprinting. The idea that Jamaica are just now producing good sprinted with some organised doping flimflam is ridiculous.

Thanks for talking sense. Have a word with some other lads around here will you? :)

Jamaicans have had great sprinters for years. How many sprinters has the UK ever had run sub-10??

Any country in the world?

Blimey. You fudged up a bit there!!

Well before Asafa Powell did it in 2004, we had them beat 3-2. Now its 11-3.

I think you are hugely overestimating Jamican 100m history.

Regardless, my point wasnt that they were cheats, it was that if you start claiming all Chinese winners are cheats even if they pass drug tests, why not call the Jamaicans cheats?

Because they have no history of it and no state history of this kind of activity?

Now they actually train properly it's a self fulfilling prophecy. For young Jamaicans kids being a sprinter is the ultimate.

Because they have no history of it and no state history of this kind of activity?

Now they actually train properly it's a self fulfilling prophecy. For young Jamaicans kids being a sprinter is the ultimate.

So if a country dopes at one time, all future achievement will be discounted?

If a person passes drug tests then you have no reason to claim they are cheats any more than a bitter Frenchman has reason to claim Wiggins and Cavendish are cheats.

Surely that's true of a lot of athletics, once a World Record has been broken its amazing how many other athletes are suddenly able to record times and distances which are an improvement on the broken World Record.

Times and distances are getting quicker and longer respectively as the youth evolve and become stronger than their elders. Better technology supports these improvements as does better understanding of science and therefore improved preparation and work outs leading to the finals.

I think questions will always be asked about successful athletes but I'd like to think that 'innocent until proven guilty' should remain the mantra and that we don't start accusing the successful simply because they are successful.

IMHO human evolution simply doesn't work as fast as has happened over the last 30 years, regardless of better diet (arguable anyway, considering the "experts" change their minds every 5 minutes themselves including the so called sports scientists), shoe technology, track technology etc. So there is something else at play, and that's why I lost interest in athletics years and years ago. I simply do not trust it. Look at Flo Jo for example. I am sorry to speak ill of the dead, but you look at her history and then all of a sudden bang, she's way faster than anyone else?! No way. And was pointed out, those Chinese peasant women who came out of nowhere.

IMHO human evolution simply doesn't work as fast as has happened over the last 30 years, regardless of better diet (arguable anyway, considering the "experts" change their minds every 5 minutes themselves including the so called sports scientists), shoe technology, track technology etc. So there is something else at play, and that's why I lost interest in athletics years and years ago. I simply do not trust it. Look at Flo Jo for example. I am sorry to speak ill of the dead, but you look at her history and then all of a sudden bang, she's way faster than anyone else?! No way. And was pointed out, those Chinese peasant women who came out of nowhere.

Wouldnt women's athletics have followed suit if it was down to doping though? Most of those records still holding from the 80s

The chinese swimmer was like a speedboat in that last 100m.

Been some great action in the boxing.

And i'm enjoying the handball (thankless job for the goalkeepers!) and the beach volleyball (inc the obvious) is a good watch as well.

Oh..and not even a glimpse of joy for GB:(

I tried watching the handball, was like football and basketballs illegitimate child. It just looks really easy, take loads of steps running with the ball and throw it in to a massive net

Wouldnt women's athletics have followed suit if it was down to doping though? Most of those records still holding from the 80s

I think female doping was even more rife in the 80's than now to be honest. Flo Jo still holds the records for 100M & 200M IIRC and as I said there is no way she didn't cheat IMO.

I genuinely believe there are freak athletes, amazing talents. Seb Coe, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson for example. It's as pointed out though that all of a sudden a lot of "journeymen" athletes find speed from somewhere and get closer. It just doesn't happen like that I don't think. There is definitely something awry.

So if a country dopes at one time, all future achievement will be discounted?

If a person passes drug tests then you have no reason to claim they are cheats any more than a bitter Frenchman has reason to claim Wiggins and Cavendish are cheats.

Exactly. I think there's a bit of sour grapes and dare I say latent racism at work on this thread. I wouldn't like to think what a Chinese Spurs fan browsing this forum make of it all. Its pretty poor stuff.

Exactly. I think there's a bit of sour grapes and dare I say latent racism at work on this thread. I wouldn't like to think what a Chinese Spurs fan browsing this forum make of it all. Its pretty poor stuff.

Say it to me.

And I'll report you.

Shows the weakness of your argument when you cry racism. fudging bottle job

I think female doping was even more rife in the 80's than now to be honest. Flo Jo still holds the records for 100M & 200M IIRC and as I said there is no way she didn't cheat IMO.

I genuinely believe there are freak athletes, amazing talents. Seb Coe, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson for example. It's as pointed out though that all of a sudden a lot of "journeymen" athletes find speed from somewhere and get closer. It just doesn't happen like that I don't think. There is definitely something awry.

The best athletes are clean, travel wildly, answer questions. They are open and transparent. Until the Chinese do this they are cheats IMO. The vast majority of the athletes in physical disciplines.

Back