• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Fuego, it's boring uninspiring football from a boring uninspiring team made by a boring uninspiring manager selection.

I said that when Roy made his squad announcement, and it's obvious that England will most likely play dire, well drilled, sti deep football and fade out of the Euros via 0-0 or 0-1 type results ...

Ok so what should be the first X1 for the England's opening game?

From the squad i'd probably go with...

------------------------------Hart-----------------------------------

Jones-----------Terry--------------Cahill-------------------Cole

--------------------Milner--------Parker--------------------------

---Walcott---------------Gerrard----------------------Young---

--------------------------Welbeck--------------------------------

He seems to like playing Young off a front man, at least without ROoney, and he also seems to want to play Milner tucked in rather than having a second winger so I think he'll play the following for the first two games:

------------------------------Hart-----------------------------------

---Johnson-----------Terry--------------Cahill----------------Cole

----------------------Gerrard------------Parker--------------------------
---Walcott---------------------------------------------------Milner---

-------------------------------Young-----------------------------------

------------------------------Welbeck--------------------------------

Fuego, it's boring uninspiring football from a boring uninspiring team made by a boring uninspiring manager selection.

I said that when Roy made his squad announcement, and it's obvious that England will most likely play dire, well drilled, sti deep football and fade out of the Euros via 0-0 or 0-1 type results ...

There isn't really much to work with when it comes to English players. Roy's gonna set up a side that will be difficult to break down (ideally) and try to score on the counter, just as he does with his club teams. A far too sensible choice for the FA to have come up with really.

Look, we're not remotely blessed with a lot of top class players at the moment. We have one genuinely top class player in Rooney but very few who would get in say the Netherlands, Spain or Holland team. Additionally, while there were 3 or 4 players like Lennon and Sturridge who could have been included in the sqaud and were probably unlucky not to have been, its not as if there are a lot of players sitting at home who would have genuinely made a messive difference to the starting 11. Equally, there are very few young players say in the U-21s who I can think of who could have been brought in to stregnthen the team

WE're also probably much stronger defensively with Hart, Terry, Cole and Parker than we are from an attacking perspective. We dont have the attacking players to play teams off the park and score 3 or more against a decent international team, we would do well to put 2 past a decent team. With these players most of our games will be probably 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, a few games might be 2-0 or 2-1....we wont be beating teams 3-2, 4-2, 4-3 etc or drawing 3-3

Therefore, given that we have Ukraine last and will have Rooney for that game, I would think that Roy will be thinking that if he can get 2-4 points from the first two games, then a win against Ukraine will put us through. So our first two games will be quite boring as the worst case scenario for us would be that we would only get 0 or 1 points in total from them and then possibly not be in control of our own destiny for the final game, which is probably our easiest.

So thats why I think he'll play with Young off Welbeck in the first two games rather than 2 out and out CFs and also pick Milner who will play as a tucked in hard working midfielder rather than a proper winger. Woy's priority will be to not lose against France and Sweden, rather than really going for the win, and I cant see thats the wrong thing to do as we just dont have the players

Personally, I think Ashley Cole is the only player in our squad who would get into any international team in the world.

It just keeps getting better:

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports

Gary Cahill has been forced out of Euro 2012 with a double fracture of his jaw, Martin Kelly has been drafted in.

------------------------- Hart -------------------------
Jones --------- Cahill ------------ Terry ---------- Cole
--------------- Parker ------------ Ox -----------------
------------------------ Gerrard -----------------------
--- Walcott --------------------------------- Young ---
------------------------ Welbeck ----------------------

Richards, Naughton, Warnock, Caulker, Hibbert, S. Tayler, R. Taylor, Simpson, Guthrie, Perch, Onuoha, Shawcross, Upson, Woodgate, L. Young, Brown, Ridgewell.

Just some of the defenders I rate higher than Kelly.

2nd best right back in the league, just behind Johnson. That's what our friends over at RAWK would have us believe anyway.

Back