• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Portugal slightly less brick than Turkey, but Turkey win 3-1. Portugal still stuck with Almeida and Postiga as strikers, neither of whom are up to it, and they just can't find a position/formation that gets the best from Ronaldo. You'd think the likes of Pepe, Coentrao, Nani, Meireles, Moutinho and Ronaldo could be combined with a few others to make a decent team.

What makes you say that?

Amazing that he's not even 30 yet.

So what do we make of Roy's England team?

So far Roy's England team have had 2 matches, away to Norway and at home to Belgium, winning both 1-0.

The goal against Norway was scored due to poor defending, the goal against Belgium was scored due to poor defending. Both Norway and Belgium hit the post and England have been doing things the Chelsea way, much of this England team's style does reflect RDM's CL run; possession isn't important, rely on the woodwork, put a lot of men in the box and block anything that might be going anywhere near the goal and don't be afraid to launch a long ball or two.

Norway and Belgium are not Barca and Bayern Munich, but Benfica dominated the match at Standford Bridge with 10 men, so perhaps the England friendlies showed what can happen against the lesser teams in the Euros. In theory, if England can claw their way out of the group, they will come up against better teams from then on in, with only France the only giant (albeit sleeping giant) to play in the group stages, England should be stronger than Sweden and Ukraine on paper and then we'll see if Roy's "winning despite being outplayed" tactic can take England past some of the bigger and better sides.

The problem though is the reliance on luck, England have been lucky so far and Chelsea were certainly lucky all the way through RDM's time, but is this the way forward?

Norway Statistics England
0 Goals 1
0 1st Half Goals 1
4 Shots on Target 5
7 Shots off Target 2
7 Blocked Shots 1
10 Corners 2
5 Fouls 7
0 Offsides 3
0 Yellow Cards 0
0 Red Cards 0
86 Passing Success 82.5
10 Tackles 16
100 Tackles Success 75
55.5 Possession 44.5
60.7 Territorial Advantage 39.3
557 Total Passes 441
29 Total Crosses 16
149 Lost Balls 141
63 Recoveries 57
52 1st Half Poss. 48
60.1 2nd Half Poss. 39.9

-------------

England Statistics Belgium
1 Goals 0
1 1st Half Goals 0
1 Shots on Target 6
6 Shots off Target 9
4 Blocked Shots 4
3 Corners 4
7 Fouls 11
3 Offsides 3
1 Yellow Cards 1
0 Red Cards 0
82.1 Passing Success 88.1
22 Tackles 21
72.7 Tackles Success 76.2
41.1 Possession 58.9
41.6 Territorial Advantage 58.4
375 Total Passes 564
18 Total Crosses 17
127 Lost Balls 124
61 Recoveries 54
38.1 1st Half Poss. 61.9
41.8 2nd Half Poss. 58.2

England might only stand a chance of winning a tournament if they "do a Greece" or "do a Chelsea" and Roy might get a call from Chelsea in a few years when Chelsea have sacked a manager midway through the season and want to win at any cost rather than wanting to win in style.

------------------

I just want to add that because these were friendlies, it's a bit easier to care about the performance, in the tournament itself, the importance of winning increases substantially, while the performance level is not as important. Winning ugly is preferable to losing, but will this sort of approach work against teams equal to our players or better at a neutral ground? What I really don't want England to do is lose ugly. If we're going to lose, let's not do it by having 10% possession, let's do it the Spurs way, let's totally dominate the game, outplay out opponents and have them have a 100% shots to goals conversation rate... I'd really rather we lost to a team playing the Roy/Chelsea way than play the Roy/Chelsea way and lose.

I was disenchanted after the last World Cup, my thoughts on the Euros under Capello were that we'd fail to perform again and that I probably should support a team in another group from the start, instead of waiting for England to go out before deciding who to cheer for. That's not to say that I've thought England could win a recent tournament, it was just that after the World Cup, I didn't really care, I'd already given up on England for the next tournament and I wasn't remotely enthusiastic about England at the next tournament at all.

Capello's resignation actually ended up lifting not only me, but the majority of the country when it came to the Euros... Not because we thought we'd find a better manager than Capello, but because a new manager might have been better suited to getting the players to play in tournaments against weaker opposition... Capello's failings in squad selection weren't the only reason for our abysmal performances in the World Cup group stages. We were playing bad football teams and we weren't able to do anything....

The reason I bring up Capello is because, I think we've gone backwards.

For the first 66% of the season, we saw Harry do for Spurs, what Spurs fans thought he'd do for England - Harry got every player playing at a good individual level and we were able to get results against many of the lesser teams but tended to fail against the bigger teams. I think the Spurs fans that expected Harry to get the England job expected England to get past the group stage by playing attacking, attractive football, but to be dismantled as soon as Spain, Holland or Germany came anywhere near us.

Under Roy, we're going to play defensive, boring football and might get dismantled as soon as Spain, Holland or Germany come anywhere near us, if we can make it that far.

So, is the performance or the result the most important thing when it comes to friendlies and will a passive approach work against the stronger teams?

Thoughts on Roy's England so far?

Thanks, so if there is any chance in Affelay for ?ú6m (see transfer thread) we need to act soon.

This has Levy written all over it. Young, likely to increase in value, not old, burgeoning reputation, good resale value, good youtube footage, young, astute investment, Dutch, one for the future, not old. The Levy-meter is in the red.

Seriously though I've hardly see the chap play. Is he the real deal or just flava' of the month?

I hope we "go dutch" this summer by getting Affelay, Luuk De Jong, and Seedorf who I think is still quality and could be a real asset for next season.

Plus seeing a legend of the game like Seedorf play in a Spurs shirt would be amazing.

Last two games they started

------De jong - v Bommel
Robben - Sneijder - Affelay
---------v Persie

That's true but before that it was:

-------------------Van Bommel-------------VDV-------------------------------

---------------------------------Sneider----------------------------------------

---RVP----------------------------------------------------------------Robben--

------------------------------Huntelaar-----------------------------------------

I think they'll go with your team though due to Affelay's form in the last 2 games.

I hope we "go dutch" this summer by getting Affelay, Luuk De Jong, and Seedorf who I think is still quality and could be a real asset for next season.

Plus seeing a legend of the game like Seedorf play in a Spurs shirt would be amazing.

Lets be best friends.

We need to start the rumours rolling on this whole Seedorf thing, see if we can generate any buzz. Butterfly effect and all that

Ok so what should be the first X1 for the England's opening game?

From the squad i'd probably go with...

------------------------------Hart-----------------------------------

Jones-----------Terry--------------Cahill-------------------Cole

--------------------Milner--------Parker--------------------------

---Walcott---------------Gerrard----------------------Young---

--------------------------Welbeck--------------------------------

Well i watched the first 10 minutes, it was so dire I switched off, not even sure I'll bother with the euros if it's that bad.

........................Hart
.............Jagielka....Lescott
Johnson..........Cahill...........Cole
.............Parker........Gerrard
Walcott...............................Young
......................Welbeck

That's true but before that it was:

-------------------Van Bommel-------------VDV-------------------------------

---------------------------------Sneider----------------------------------------

---RVP----------------------------------------------------------------Robben--

------------------------------Huntelaar-----------------------------------------

I think they'll go with your team though due to Affelay's form in the last 2 games.

Wasn't it VDV instead of Robben (as he was still on holiday due to the CL final or something?)

Well i watched the first 10 minutes, it was so dire I switched off, not even sure I'll bother with the euros if it's that bad.

I wasnt planning to. Not with Capello in charge, not with Hodgson now. The squad is laughable and from what I understand the last two games hardly inspiring.

The England team is a joke, has been for a decade at least. Its not worth the effort

Back