• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
I remember them absolutely blasting Madrid apart in the CL knockout round under him a few years back. They were magnificent that day; fast, precise, powerful, blinding. They won 4-0, I think, to complete a 5-0 aggregate destruction.

Do I want nights like that? Absolutely.

there are other ways and i personally would hate to watch that style of football week in week out just for the chance of a bit of silverwear at the end of it

How has he 'clearly' shown he can make things better? Just an honest question; I'm genuinely curious. Did you get to see a lot of Swansea under Martinez and Sousa? Did they play the same way?

And most importantly, would you be willing to hire a man who's impressing in his first season in the PL? Shouldn't you at least wait to see how he copes with 'second-season syndrome' before you make a judgement? You know, see how he reacts once teams have figured him and his side out?

Ive watched a lot of Championship football over the last few years, so while I havent watched Swansea specifically Ive seen a fair few of their games.

My opinion is that under Martinez they were very good, played good stuff and got their share of results - but lacked a little something.

I dont recall much of them under Sousa, except that they seemed to be very very similar to under Martinez.

Under Rodgers all that Martinez did well got dialled up to 11. Martinez had certainly done a lot of groundwork, which I am sure Rodgers is most grateful for, but Swansea became much "more" under Rodgers. More composed, more resilient, more confident and the system of play they now have was really developed.

Would I give him the job? I would be very tempted in all honesty. While a record to back him up would be preferable, I do genuinely think you appoint the MAN and not the CV. For me Rodgers looks like he has everything we need, he has a very dignified manner which the fans would like, he has a philosophy of attacking possession based football which the fans would love, he has players who were in league 1 a few years back looking totally at ease in the premiership. He has experience of top clubs, and is a disciple of the Barca way. And he would have plenty to work with at the club. While I think Redknapps time is done, its only right to acknowledge he has done a great deal of work with the team (probably not unlike Martinez at Swansea)

I dont know how anyone could forget that, it gets mentioned almost daily!

Martinez managed Swansea from Feb 2007 - Jun2009, 2 and half seasons (only 1 in the championship, finishing 8th). Had a very respectable record, P126 W63 D37 L26. Im not sure quite how much credit he should get for Swansea's style, he wasnt there especially long - but he is often credited with getting things bedded in there.

And fair play for that.

Sousa was there just a year.

Rodgers though has taken what was a good team playing good football up a level or 3 IMHO. Yes, he inherited a good set up and good players - but there is no question Swansea are a much better side under him. And in the context of taking over Spurs, its hardly the case of working something up from scratch is it? Its taking something already good and making it better...

Rodgers was youth team manager at Chelsea for two seasons 2004-2006, pre-Arnesen if memory serves. He then moved on to managing the reserves. His record at Swansea is currently P92 W42 D18 L32, including his time in the premiership (34 games) which I think is very respectable.

No it doesn't.. Arnesan joined the summer of 2005, it was Arnesan who promoted Rodgers to coach the reserves that he had spent a year bringing in and then a further 2 years after before Rodgers went to Watford in 2008. Arnesan left in 2010 for Hamburg.

there are other ways and i personally would hate to watch that style of football week in week out just for the chance of a bit of silverwear at the end of it

As opposed to what? Glorious displays of open, free-flowing football capped by such great performances as;

City 5 Spurs 1
Arsenal 5 Spurs 2
United 3 Spurs 1
Chelsea 5 Spurs 1

, no doubt. Come on, mate. Liverpool that day weren't cynical, weren't destructive, weren't counter-attacking. They were quick, accurate, and kept the ball moving, forever frustrating Real. It certainly wasn't bad viewing, as far as I recall. 'That style of football' is relative. As long as we're aesthetically pleasing to watch (i.e keep the ball on the ground most of the time and focus on possession as opposed to fouls and banks-of-four defending), I don't really mind what degree of open football we play, as long as we do play it.

Benitez did. His teams weren't cynical, or Stoke-like, or possessed of the 'two banks of four' mentality. They were just solid. And I'd take solidity over what I had to witness yesterday.

I perceive Martinez to be a bigger draw to foreign players, as he understands foreign leagues and can speak Spanish, whereas Rodgers is more of a Brit.

Whether that is true I don't know, but that is my perception.

E.g. Martinez can attract loads of latino talent from South Europe / South America.

And if we were to get a load of Argies and Brazilians and Mexicans, that would be rather appealing in the new "non-contact" era

I perceive Martinez to be a bigger draw to foreign players, as he understands foreign leagues and can speak Spanish, whereas Rodgers is more of a Brit.

E.g. Martinez can attract loads of latino talent from South Europe / South America.

And if we were to get a load of Argies and Brazilians and Mexicans, that would be rather appealing in the new "non-contact" era

Rodgers is learning Spanish and is supposed to already be quite fluent

Rodgers speaks Spanish apparently. The guy learnt it when doin stuff in Spain

Back