• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
I dont know how anyone could forget that, it gets mentioned almost daily!

Martinez managed Swansea from Feb 2007 - Jun2009, 2 and half seasons (only 1 in the championship, finishing 8th). Had a very respectable record, P126 W63 D37 L26. Im not sure quite how much credit he should get for Swansea's style, he wasnt there especially long - but he is often credited with getting things bedded in there.

And fair play for that.

Sousa was there just a year.

Rodgers though has taken what was a good team playing good football up a level or 3 IMHO. Yes, he inherited a good set up and good players - but there is no question Swansea are a much better side under him. And in the context of taking over Spurs, its hardly the case of working something up from scratch is it? Its taking something already good and making it better...

Rodgers was youth team manager at Chelsea for two seasons 2004-2006, pre-Arnesen if memory serves. He then moved on to managing the reserves. His record at Swansea is currently P92 W42 D18 L32, including his time in the premiership (34 games) which I think is very respectable.

He also did really badly at Reading, a club where he didn't have the benefit of Martinez and Sousa's foundations before him. My concern is not him working up from scratch, it's whether he has the ability to actually make things any better, or if he's just living off a legacy, so to speak. If it came down to a shoot-out between him and Rafa, I know who I'd back; the man with the trophies.

He also did really badly at Reading, a club where he didn't have the benefit of Martinez and Sousa's foundations before him. My concern is not him working up from scratch, it's whether he has the ability to actually make things any better, or if he's just living off a legacy, so to speak. If it came down to a shoot-out between him and Rafa, I know who I'd back; the man with the trophies.

id pick Martinez.

I dont want Benny hill anywhere near our fudgein club.

Maybe we should take a punt on Moses. Sure, horrible decision-making at times, but he's only twenty-one, wouldn't cost much, has played in the PL and is blisteringly fast, plus he can dribble really well. He could be a third-choice striker, and could conceivably fill in on the wings as well, should we switch to an 'inside forward' system like the one Chelsea uses.

I definitely acknowledge his input I just think Martinez is a better Manager and Coach. That Wigan side should have been buried a year or two ago but look at them now. Now imagine them with better players

If todays result sticks they are 8 points behind Swansea and -19 worse off on goal difference. In recent seasons Wigan have spent big (by their standards) on players as well - Al Habsi (?ú4m), Beausejour (?ú3m), Boseli (?ú6.5m), Moses (?ú2.5m) in the last 3 or so years. Obviously not Ronaldo level buys but for Wigan significant.

Swansea spent virtual peanuts every season until this, with their record buy being Graham (?ú3.5m) with Lita vorm and Routledge at ?ú2m or less.

I think in many ways the clubs are comparible, and that right now Swansea and Rodgers are doing a much better job.

He did well enough at Watford for Reading to want to snap him up, so its not like he had a history of failure (Watford of course taking the chance on him when he was only a reserve team manager).

I think at Swansea he has CLEARLY shown he can make teams better. They were pretenders before him, contenders afterward. And now in the premier league they are handling themselves magnificently.

id pick Martinez.

I dont want Benny hill anywhere near our fudgein club.

Oh, I'd seriously consider Martine if it were between him and Rafa. He's done good work, and he's proven to be both tactically astute and shrewd in the transfer market. Loyal as well. But, in the end, the man with the Champions League, La Liga, Spanish Cup and FA Cup medals to his name would end up being my pick. With Levy in charge, he wouldn't be able to spend much anyway, so that 'transfer policy' stick people use to berate him with wouldn't really be a problem either.

I wouldn't want either of them because they would be absolutely eaten alive by our fans at the first sign of trouble and probably couldn't cope.

He did well enough at Watford for Reading to want to snap him up, so its not like he had a history of failure (Watford of course taking the chance on him when he was only a reserve team manager).

I think at Swansea he has CLEARLY shown he can make teams better. They were pretenders before him, contenders afterward. And now in the premier league they are handling themselves magnificently.

How has he 'clearly' shown he can make things better? Just an honest question; I'm genuinely curious. Did you get to see a lot of Swansea under Martinez and Sousa? Did they play the same way?

And most importantly, would you be willing to hire a man who's impressing in his first season in the PL? Shouldn't you at least wait to see how he copes with 'second-season syndrome' before you make a judgement? You know, see how he reacts once teams have figured him and his side out?

have people really forgot how boring Liverpool were under Benitez ?

if not - you would honestly want to see us go down that route ?

I should say I have a great deal of respect for Martinez, and if we were looking for more of a left field appointment/punt he and Rodgers would be right up there for me.

I think they are both level I just think Martinez with the additional Premier League experience would get it for me though. My choice for Martinez isnt solely on this game (they will most probably concede again and maybe lose it) but to do it year in year out is just brilliant. With Rodgers lets wait till next season or the season after that as this could very well be a one off. With Martinez its not really a one off.

have people really forgot how boring Liverpool were under Benitez ?

if not - you would honestly want to see us go down that route ?

I remember them absolutely blasting Madrid apart in the CL knockout round under him a few years back. They were magnificent that day; fast, precise, powerful, blinding. They won 4-0, I think, to complete a 5-0 aggregate destruction.

Do I want nights like that? Absolutely.

Back