• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Ive watched a lot of Championship football over the last few years, so while I havent watched Swansea specifically Ive seen a fair few of their games.

My opinion is that under Martinez they were very good, played good stuff and got their share of results - but lacked a little something.

I dont recall much of them under Sousa, except that they seemed to be very very similar to under Martinez.

Under Rodgers all that Martinez did well got dialled up to 11. Martinez had certainly done a lot of groundwork, which I am sure Rodgers is most grateful for, but Swansea became much "more" under Rodgers. More composed, more resilient, more confident and the system of play they now have was really developed.

Would I give him the job? I would be very tempted in all honesty. While a record to back him up would be preferable, I do genuinely think you appoint the MAN and not the CV. For me Rodgers looks like he has everything we need, he has a very dignified manner which the fans would like, he has a philosophy of attacking possession based football which the fans would love, he has players who were in league 1 a few years back looking totally at ease in the premiership. He has experience of top clubs, and is a disciple of the Barca way. And he would have plenty to work with at the club. While I think Redknapps time is done, its only right to acknowledge he has done a great deal of work with the team (probably not unlike Martinez at Swansea)

But appointing the man, not the CV, has its disadvantages. You risk getting duped by a fluke season. Right now, Swansea are a breath of fresh air; new, unexpected, and an entirely unknown proposition for managers to tackle. Next year, when they've been figured out? When teams set out their stall against them, try to frustrate them and stop their free-flowing football? That's when Rodgers' true abilities will be revealed. Can he pick up a team under pressure? Can he adapt to the circumstances? Can he get his team to make the breakthrough against stubborn, committed sides? Can he find an alternative when the traditional free-flowing approach isn't working?

how he handles these questions will determine how good a manager he really is. We appointed Redknapp, and it was a gamble that may yet pay off. But he has answered none of these questions successfully. I want a manager who can answer these questions, and Rodgers hasn't proven that he can yet.

Perhaps what this shows is that Wigan are fairly poor at scoring goals, but not bad otherwise

For once they scored in the 7th and 8th minutes and fair play to them they have held on really well, unlike that "Spurs" team the other day.

That Franco di Santo is a really poor striker for me, really, really average

I perceive Martinez to be a bigger draw to foreign players, as he understands foreign leagues and can speak Spanish, whereas Rodgers is more of a Brit.

Whether that is true I don't know, but that is my perception.

E.g. Martinez can attract loads of latino talent from South Europe / South America.

And if we were to get a load of Argies and Brazilians and Mexicans, that would be rather appealing in the new "non-contact" era

i honestly don't think there would be one player that THFC could sign with Martinez that we couldn't with Rodgers. players are atracted to:
1- the league
2- the club
3- the money
much more than who the manager is IMO (of course a manager like Mourinhio is a different kettle of fish)

(Rodgers speaks fluent Spanish btw)

Last edited:
Back