• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
:ross:

Barcelona - Real in the final

Max profit

Max media TV rights exposure

Max audience

Max propaganda

Last edited:
Second leg advantage all the way boys!

That's the way to do it, right? fudging QUNTS

Betting companies ruining yet another decent knock-out competition

I'm willing to bet Barcelona will draw Apoel

:ross:

Barcelona - Real in the final

Max profit

Max media TV rights exposure

Max audience

Max proaganda

Really? So, one conspiracy theory failed, ignore that and just move on to the next one as if nothing happened?

One year ago both Barca and Real were in a similar situation in the quarter finals, both being among the favourites. And.... They were drawn against each other in the semi-finals.

Anyone here good at maths or statistics? What were the actual odds of Real and Barca being drawn on opposite sides of the quarter- and semi-finals for a chance of them meeting in the final? Not that far fetched really.

Yes, but Man Utd were still in it at the time and they generate massive amount of TV coverage with their 1 trillion Asian fans so they went for that option instead.

AWLAYS 2 biggies in the final through the easiest passage possible. Not guaranteed they'll make it but sure as hell we'll make it easy for them.

How convinient this year they'll have the second leg home advantage too?

If you genueinly believe these are proper draws then I've got bad news for you

There's absolutely nothing interesting about the CL anymore. Part of the excitement used to be watching teams you hadn't seen much of face each other. New players, different styles. Now it's just a self-perpetuating elite.

Yes, but Man Utd were still in it at the time and they generate massive amount of TV coverage with their 1 trillion Asian fans so they went for that option instead.

AWLAYS 2 biggies in the final through the easiest passage possible. Not guaranteed they'll make it but sure as hell we'll make it easy for them.

How convinient this year they'll have the second leg home advantage too?

If you genueinly believe these are proper draws then I've got bad news for you

It seems that whatever the outcome of the draw some conspiracy theory can be retro-fitted onto the outcome and some pattern can be seen in the coincidences that randomly appear.

There might have been some fixing in some draws at some point in time in some competitions. But I don't believe that UEFA consistently rig every draw to get things their way. Sound ridiculous.

As for the latest, "Always 2 big teams in the final through the easiest passage possible". There were arguably 4 big teams in this QF draw, Real, Barca, Bayern and Milan. You could include Chelsea in there as well, doesn't matter. Of course some of those teams will get an easier passage most of the time. Doesn't mean it was fixed.

If only Real and Barca are the big teams, then if they didn't get drawn against each other they would by definition get "an easy path"

Really? So, one conspiracy theory failed, ignore that and just move on to the next one as if nothing happened?

One year ago both Barca and Real were in a similar situation in the quarter finals, both being among the favourites. And.... They were drawn against each other in the semi-finals.

Anyone here good at maths or statistics? What were the actual odds of Real and Barca being drawn on opposite sides of the quarter- and semi-finals for a chance of them meeting in the final? Not that far fetched really.

Also they don't need Real and Barca in the final. Its the final, it sells itself.
Anyway instead of two Real - Barca legs they now just have the possibility of one.
They would have been much better up glamming one of the quarters up by making it a juicier tie if they wanted to fix things.

Last edited:
There's absolutely nothing interesting about the CL anymore. Part of the excitement used to be watching teams you hadn't seen much of face each other. New players, different styles. Now it's just a self-perpetuating elite.

Is a team from Cyprus in the quarter finals not enough?

Also they don't need Real and Barca in the final. Its the final it sells itself.
Anyway instead of two Real - Barca legs they now just have the possibility of one.
They would have been much better up glamming one of the quarters up by my making it a juicier tie if they wanted to fix things.

This is true I think.

However, had that been the outcome I'm sure we would have heard a conspiracy theory about how this was what UEFA needed so they made it happen. A conspiracy theory can be made to fit just about any outcome.

braineclipse, truly wish I still shared your idealistic view of football but unfortunately those days of naive innocence are long gone.

The rubbish exposed in Serie A and Turkey in recent years is merely the brim of the brick barrell. There are entire leagues rigged in Eastern Europe not games. Betting companies run most of the game these days and it will never change unless a revolution takes place and we start from scratch with players payed peanuts without greedy qunts agents and most importanly - no more betting

ArcspacE give it a fudging rest mate, you may be fudged off with the toss fest over Barcelona but quite frankly the way you are going on about conspiracies and brick is more annoying. You don't like Barca, we get it. Chill the fudge out, you prefer Real yet look, they got the easy Apoel draw. Whatever man.

There is certainly a self-perpetuating element of the CL elite. The group stages are obviously heavily weighted towards letting the big teams go through. And the first knockout round lets the best teams avoid each other quite often since they often win the groups. That makes the QF the first pure draw knockout stage. As a result the teams in the QF will be quite repetitive. However, like with us last season, Napoli upsetting some big teams this season, APOEL, Benfica and Marseille in the QF this season there is some change to keep things a bit fresh and I quite enjoy the big matches between the big teams. Something can be said for watching a lot of the best players in the world on a football pitch at the same time.

As for the reasons for this (I'm aware you didn't speculate, or make claims about it), I'm guessing the self-perpetuating mechanisms have been put in place under pressure from the G14 (or whatever they're called) clubs.

I'm sure there's some French, Portuguese and Cypriot supporters out there who are feeling quite excited much in the same way I'm sure you did when Spurs reached the same stage last season. Just because you have no interest in the last 8 doesn't mean others don't!

Back