• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Can you please make it clear that this post was just what you reckoned? Saw this earlier and thought you'd heard the draw and then I had to log off, been walking around thinking Chelsea have got Munich so was confused when I heard they'd got Benfica....

*Shakes fist angrily

grandpa-simpson-yelling-at-cloud-simpsons-funny-pictures.jpg

Jordinho, I'm not quite sure what you want? APOEL wouldn't have gotten to the final if it was just a champions format anyway. I'm in favour of reducing the number of teams in the CL but to say what are they excited about? I assume you were sitting at home in a strop last season at our participation in a competition called the Champions league, when we finished fourth? And I also assume you didn't get excited as we played Inter, AC Milan and Real Madrid because we had no chance of reaching the final?

No, I wasn't all that excited about who we played. I was very excited about Tottenham being in the competition, but unhappy that we sacrificed some of our league matches so our players could have a day out against Inter and Real. Until we manage to rotate sufficiently to juggle several major competitions the league should be our number one priority.

Apoel getting this far is an anomaly, but not enough to make up for some other glaring errors that reduce my interest in the CL. Take away some of the English, Spanish and Italian teams, and this season Bayern as they finished 3rd last year, and you'd have something much more interesting, where teams from France, Holland, Russia etc. could actually win it and would regularly go far and do a lot more for the interest in those countries. I don't want a competition where everyone has to support a team from a very select group.

No, I wasn't all that excited about who we played. I was very excited about Tottenham being in the competition, but unhappy that we sacrificed some of our league matches so our players could have a day out against Inter and Real. Until we manage to rotate sufficiently to juggle several major competitions the league should be our number one priority.

Apoel getting this far is an anomaly, but not enough to make up for some other glaring errors that reduce my interest in the CL. Take away some of the English, Spanish and Italian teams, and this season Bayern as they finished 3rd last year, and you'd have something much more interesting, where teams from France, Holland, Russia etc. could actually win it and would regularly go far and do a lot more for the interest in those countries. I don't want a competition where everyone has to support a team from a very select group.

You make it sound like Champions League success is the be all and end all for supporter happiness and that entire countries get no joy from football on a yearly basis.

Excluding teams from England, Spain, Italy and Germany the following countries/clubs have reached a final of a major competition this century alone:

Netherlands, France, Greece, Portugal, Feyenoord, Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Zenit Saint Petersburg, CSKA Moscow, Celtic, Galatasaray, Marseille, Sporting Lisbon, Rangers, Braga, Monaco.

There's plenty of excitement to go around on a yearly basis, even if it's not in the CL. Although i'm sure supporters of many teams reaching the knockout phase will probably be as happy as some APOEL fans are right now.

Arcspace, I didn't see ze draw, but I assume it was 2 ex-pros drawing balls from a pot as usual?

How would the conspirators code each of the 8 balls such that they would know which to pull out of the pot?

8 different heats, or textures, or vibrations?

You're starting to sound like 1882 and even he knows that's not a good thing!

(joking mr 1882!)

Would prefer Sunderland to beat Everton, just in case we have to meet one of them them later. Everton will have psychological edge over us due to the 1995 semi win.

Back