• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Routed Gunners now worth a mammoth ?ú1bn after share sale

Arsenal's humiliating Champions League thumping by AC Milan came in the same week that stakes in the club traded at their highest level ever.

An unknown investor has paid ?ú16,500 each for two shares - a price that would value the Gunners at ?ú1.1billion - plus another handful at over ?ú15,000 despite the crisis now facing beleaguered manager Arsene Wenger following such a comprehensive 4-0 defeat.

Surprisingly, the anonymous buyer is neither majority shareholder Stan Kroenke, who owns 66 per cent, nor Russian predator Alisher Usmanov, who wants to take his 29.95 per cent holding to 30 per cent

Usmanov has an offer out to buy shares for ?ú14,000, but not ?ú16,500, which is ?ú5,000 more than Kroenke's mandatory offer to stakeholders last April when he took control of the club.

Russian billionaire Usmanov is frozen out at board level. But a 30 per cent holding will make him liable for the Premier League's fit and proper person test, thus hiking up the pressure on Arsenal to grant him director status

I will be shot down for this, but I'll say it anyway.

If Arsenal do not extend Walcott's contract we should go for him when he becomes available. Yes, I mean take him on a free should that happen, no itention of paying Arsenal for him.

Yes, he's a "brick Aaron Lennon" and so on and forth.
But he's a very quick player who needs a change of environment to make the next step. If Harry stays here for more than just the season, and I really hope he snubs the FA, then he'll make Walcott take that next step. He's still 22 after all.

+ it would tinkle off the goons to turn him into the quality player they could not.

I will be shot down for this, but I'll say it anyway.

If Arsenal do not extend Walcott's contract we should go for him when he becomes available. Yes, I mean take him on a free should that happen, no itention of paying Arsenal for him.

Yes, he's a "brick Aaron Lennon" and so on and forth.
But he's a very quick player who needs a change of environment to make the next step. If Harry stays here for more than just the season, and I really hope he snubs the FA, then he'll make Walcott take that next step. He's still 22 after all.

+ it would tinkle off the goons to turn him into the quality player they could not.

Really couldn't disagree more, he offers actually nothing more than Lennon and as such represents a complete waste of money. That's before we even come to fact he's a gooner

Strange that Arsenal have let so many valuable "assets" run down their contracts. They spent a lot of money on them.

If [And it's a big IF] we could get him for free then I'd be all for it. Would be an option off the bench.

However, we don't really need him and I'm sure teams like QPR or Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Liverpool [LOL!] would bid actual cash for him. In Liverpool's case about 50 million.

If [And it's a big IF] we could get him for free then I'd be all for it. Would be an option off the bench.

However, we don't really need him and I'm sure teams like QPR or Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Liverpool [LOL!] would bid actual cash for him. In Liverpool's case about 50 million.

Probably, and yes, free only. Not paying Arsenal a dime.

Saha can't score goals. He scored twice all season in Everton.

Oops, change of environment. Doubles his tally in one game for us.

I want to agree with you, I really do. It's if he will (and he's capable) keep it up. Lesser player than Saha have scored 2 goals in 1 game. In fact Walcott probably has.

My favourite bit of Arsenal banter is to proclaim Walcott as a "world-beater" whenever he's on the ball and assure my mates he's gonna score and change the game for them.

Right before he loses possession.

Walcott would make an excellent receiver in American Football. All he does is run as fast as he can till the end of the pitch and usually a couple of yards extra, taking the ball out of play.

Saha can't score goals. He scored twice all season in Everton.

Oops, change of environment. Doubles his tally in one game for us.
There was little doubt that Saha has been a good footballer; his reputation had been down to age and injuries. O
Plus one game against a mediocre Saudi Sportswashing Machine does not guarantee a great player.

Walcott on the other hand, has never shown any signs of being a decent footballer. I am shocked it has taken Arsenal over 5 years to realise this.

Walcott would make an excellent receiver in American Football. All he does is run as fast as he can till the end of the pitch and usually a couple of yards extra, taking the ball out of play.

There's a lot more to receiving than running fast. He'd make a great half back though, like Forrest Gump .

Al3HmVGCEAI8RcF.jpg

Mertesacker has had an operation on his ankle and is ruled out 'long term'. Crap.

I only watched the Yahoo match highlights of the Sunderland game but he looked pretty terrible in a few choice moments of the match. Depending on how long Kosieicjjgldnly is out for we might see djourou getting a fair bit of game time \o/

Arsenal close to winning silverware, insists Thierry Henry

Thierry Henry has shrugged off Arsenal's 4-0 drubbing at the hands of AC Milan in Europe and insists Arsene Wenger's men are "not far from winning something".

Arsenal's comprehensive Champions League defeat in Milan has led many former players to call for a clear-out at the Emirates.

Former Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Petit has warned the club they need to completely overhaul the squad if they are to start challenging for trophies again.

However, Henry says there is no reason to panic just yet and believes the Gunners can still lift a trophy this season, with the first step being to win their FA Cup last 16 clash at Sunderland on Saturday.

"Why not?" Henry told Arsenal Player. "This team is not far from winning something, we all know it.

"If you can win at Sunderland, you don't know how the draw is going to be. You might play at home next, then the semi-finals are around the corner.

"You never know if Jack is going to come back and Abou Diaby is not far from coming back. You don't know what could happen. If you are still in the competition then those players coming back will only help you find top form.

"Hopefully the team can stay in the competition, even though it will be tough at Sunderland. Jack, Abou, you want them around.

"Jack is going to be, hopefully for the club, a talisman in years to come. He grew up an Arsenal fan so it is important to have a guy like that in the dressing room. We will see."

With Arsenal currently fourth place in the Premier League, Henry knows the team are masters of their own destiny.

"The league is going to be very difficult but the top four is in our hands," he said. "We have the squad, there is a long way to go.

"We have to play Chelsea at home, Tottenham at home, Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home, Emirates Marketing Project at home - it is clearly in your hands. Whereas Liverpool, for example, have some tricky games away. It's not impossible.

"It's sometimes down to having momentum. Hopefully we can build on what we did at Sunderland last weekend from being 1-0 down. With 15 minutes to go it didn't look like coming back.

"OK, you can say we have just lost 4-0 in Milan but you have to believe. If you don't believe then you might as well go home. You have got to believe and always think you can turn things around. The belief is all you need to have."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9088872/Arsenal-close-to-winning-silverware-insists-Thierry-Henry.html

Walcott is one of those players who has a devastating run of form every season where he looks like he's finally matured into a top player, then he goes through a brick patch where he literally looks like a Championship player.

You can't argue with the facts, he out scores and out assists most of his rivals in the same position every year (not scored too many this year though). And at only 22 he's got plenty of time to get better before his speed goes.

Back