• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Forward thread

Maybe if you just have a squad of technically capable players

Too much dream land stuff for me ... playing one way with good players will only go so far ... easier done up in Scotland. The very best managers coach players to make them better, install a winning mentality, and last of all adapt the tactics, revise and adjust accordingly; in game, in training throughout the season and career ... its scary to think postecoglu is saying it's one way and that's all he knows ... he will get found out again next season I think.

This is the prem there are some very very good teams and managers in this league.

Be interesting to see how it plays out if Pochettino is still available in 2025.

And that's Jan. 1, 2025, not some balmy day in May.

Too much dream land stuff for me ... playing one way with good players will only go so far ... easier done up in Scotland. The very best managers coach players to make them better, install a winning mentality, and last of all adapt the tactics, revise and adjust accordingly; in game, in training throughout the season and career ... its scary to think postecoglu is saying it's one way and that's all he knows ... he will get found out again next season I think.

This is the prem there are some very very good teams and managers in this league.

Arteta Klopp & Guadiola all stuck with their plan A until it was bedded in at their respect clubs before showing any signs of having a plan B - each of them were called in to question by supporters & the media for repeatedly making the same mistakes and being undone in the same fashion, exactly how Postecoglou is at Spurs currently and each of them came out with something similar to Artetas 'Trust the Process' line during this period. Can say the same for Pochettino at Spurs too.

I've got my doubts about Postecoglou but sticking to his playing principles isn't one of them, some managers will live and die by their approach and taking the rough with the smooth while putting it in place shows he is in good company.

And tbf despite what he publically says we have see him attempt to close things out with subs in games that we are winning and against City recently we saw a different setup to what we had seen previously.

Players have improved. Our mentality has been mostly really good, wouldn't expect a "winning mentality" to be instilled in a season. And there has been tactical tweaks and changes. What's not to like?

His "one way" approach is somehow both overstated and viewed through a negative lense when it really shouldn't be
Be interesting to see how it plays out if Pochettino is still available in 2025.

And that's Jan. 1, 2025, not some balmy day in May.
I wouldn't be too concerned about Poch not finding a new job, he'll be fine. Sure he was sacked by both PSG and Chelsea and his stock is no longer on the rise, but he should be able to find work somewhere before his severance pay from Chelsea runs out.

Players have improved. Our mentality has been mostly really good, wouldn't expect a "winning mentality" to be instilled in a season. And there has been tactical tweaks and changes. What's not to like?

His "one way" approach is somehow both overstated and viewed through a negative lense when it really shouldn't be

I wouldn't be too concerned about Poch not finding a new job, he'll be fine. Sure he was sacked by both PSG and Chelsea and his stock is no longer on the rise, but he should be able to find work somewhere before his severance pay from Chelsea runs out.
The other thing is it’s easier in Scotland with Celtic
That’s true but the Celtic fans have said, to a man, that he had them winning playing the best football they had seen for a very very long time
That would have been a no win situation there otherwise… because it’s so easy
Ange has a plan
We let him work with that and let’s see where that takes us

It's always funny to see posters on here packing players off to Saudi, as if they all want to go there....

I had only mentioned it because it's been a fairly long standing rumour since before January and there hadn't been any form of response to it. He's had bigger fish to fry I suppose.

I had only mentioned it because it's been a fairly long standing rumour since before January and there hadn't been any form of response to it. He's had bigger fish to fry I suppose.
Wasn't specifically referring to you. There have been plenty of comments regarding our unwanted players of just sell them to Saudi for decent money as if it's that simple, not really considering that the player has a choice in which destination he wants to move to....

Wasn't specifically referring to you. There have been plenty of comments regarding our unwanted players of just sell them to Saudi for decent money as if it's that simple, not really considering that the player has a choice in which destination he wants to move to....
They all do
But money talks
And you need an offer first and foremost
Fair play to Richy for being public with his views

Arteta Klopp & Guadiola all stuck with their plan A until it was bedded in at their respect clubs before showing any signs of having a plan B - each of them were called in to question by supporters & the media for repeatedly making the same mistakes and being undone in the same fashion, exactly how Postecoglou is at Spurs currently and each of them came out with something similar to Artetas 'Trust the Process' line during this period. Can say the same for Pochettino at Spurs too.

I've got my doubts about Postecoglou but sticking to his playing principles isn't one of them, some managers will live and die by their approach and taking the rough with the smooth while putting it in place shows he is in good company.

And tbf despite what he publically says we have see him attempt to close things out with subs in games that we are winning and against City recently we saw a different setup to what we had seen previously.

Difference with Postecoglou is that Klopp and pep had done things in other leagues of significance and in Europe to see that they have pedigree. I don't doubt Postecoglou has the skill set to do a job but when he keeps saying it's one way it concerns me. Like you say he may say something in the presser and something different indoors.

I'm all for giving him a full tilt even if we have a bad season next year, but it has to show progress in one shape or form.

My main point is that if he is to succeed and do anything of value he must have the ability do things and change things to accomodate the circumstances.. I think we were naive at times when it counted last year. Going down in almost every game and having to force late goals etc.

Hopefully we address the squad and first team with new and better players that can genuinely challenge and break through.

Players like Maddison, Bissouma, Son, Richy, Bentancur, need some serious competition to push on.

Difference with Postecoglou is that Klopp and pep had done things in other leagues of significance and in Europe to see that they have pedigree. I don't doubt Postecoglou has the skill set to do a job but when he keeps saying it's one way it concerns me. Like you say he may say something in the presser and something different indoors.

I'm all for giving him a full tilt even if we have a bad season next year, but it has to show progress in one shape or form.

My main point is that if he is to succeed and do anything of value he must have the ability do things and change things to accomodate the circumstances.. I think we were naive at times when it counted last year. Going down in almost every game and having to force late goals etc.

Hopefully we address the squad and first team with new and better players that can genuinely challenge and break through.

Players like Maddison, Bissouma, Son, Richy, Bentancur, need some serious competition to push on.
A lot of people questioned if Klopp and even Pep could do it in England.

Yes Ange's pedigree is more limited, that's the kind of manager we can realistically attract. That or someone with a better pedigree, but on a slightly downwards trajectory.

He did change to accommodate for circumstances. He just didn't deviate from his basic principles. For me that's a good thing. I don't think he's naive, I think he's well aware of the risks/downsides of playing like this.

Klopp did it with the second biggest team in Germany
Pep did it with the richest teams everywhere
That’s not saying they aren’t quality but their circumstances helped
Ange has done it everywhere but hasn’t had a chance in the biggest league until now.
Peps first season he got the same points Ange spurs did
Doesn’t mean we will do a city next season. It’s impossible without bottomless money
So we have to do it with time and conviction. Stick with the plan

We're a bit myopic here. Spoke to a Emirates Marketing Project supporter today who goes to all their games, home & away, he said in his and his mates opinions Spurs were the best team they faced this season besides Arse.

Every manager at Chelsea and PSG have been sacked. Not something you can hold against him.

We're a bit myopic here. Spoke to an Emirates Marketing Project supporter today who goes to all their games, home & away, he said in his and his mates opinions Spurs were the best team they faced this season besides Arse.
It’s because we attack them and doesn’t let them play their game
Even when playing counter attacking we still attacked them
We had great stats against city and Arssnal theoretically

But… if you lose both games to wolves or Fulham away for the first time in ages you have other issues

Back