• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Forward thread

Poor end to the season. 28 years old. Would be rather expensive even with the contract situation.

More likely than Watkins. At his best no doubt he's a really good footballer. Think he would fit the system well. But think our typical approach would be going for someone younger. If we do go for him I think it will be because that's who Ange really wants.
The fee is rumoured to be £40m
Is that expensive for a guy who is proven?

Will be interesting to see what happens on the striker front.

If we go for a clear first choice player I think it should probably be with a plan to sell Richarlison. He's 27, his value will only go down if he's backup for a year and I don't think he'll be particularly happy here a year from now if he ends up with a backup/rotation role.

I also think it's an option to bring in someone to compete with Richarlison. Ideally someone a bit younger, with top level potential. But even a cheaper "option" type solution would be useful. Certainly would have been useful in the last couple of months with Richarlison out injured.

Richarlison did well this season when given a run of games and he was fit and ready.

He's 28, and apart from this season, he's never scored more than 11 in a season in Germany and France. His record is 28, 11, 9, 10, 9, 3. Didn't even get a 1 in 4 ratio in the 2nd Bundesliga
Definitely would be quite a bit of uncertainty with a signing like that.

Interestingly he hasn't massively outperformed his xG. Outperformed xG by 4.5 in the league this season. 4 of his goals from penalties. So even excluding penalties and adjusting for xG overperformance that's a really solid season. More about the kind of chances he's getting this season it would seem.

Would we be able to provide him with similar type chances with a similar frequency in the PL? Not so sure. But he seems to thrive on crosses and balls in behind which should be a good fit.

Toney would be a safer bet imo. But also a more expensive one. Doubt we'll go for Guirassy.

Ivan Toney has scored 4 league goals since he came back from his ban, somehow I expected better. 36 league goals in two and a half season, I am not impressed.
I think he's a bit overrated tbh. You could argue his lack of goals could be explained by his lengthy absence or even a lack of motivation due to him leaving but I've never been convinced he's an £80m value striker. I just don't see it in him tbh.

You are probably right [SADLY]. As for Watkins i am not sure to be honest he has has a very good season but his previous ones were [imo] nothing special and he will be 29 before the year ends so i think i would rather go for younger.
I'm not sure I fully agree with you there. He has had one season in the last 6 years that hasn't been great (and even that wasn't so bad)
18/19 - 18 goals and assists (Championship)
19/20 - 28 goals and assists (Championship)
20/21 - 19 goals and assists (Premier League)
21/22 - 13 goals and assists (Premier League)
22/23 - 21 goals and assists (Premier League)
23/24 - 32 goals and assists (Premier League)

Not just good numbers but consistently good numbers. I do agree though that we probably need to be thinking about somebody younger than him seeing as we will have a limited budget and have perhaps as many as 3 first team players to find and 2 or 3 competition/cover players to find.

I'm not sure I fully agree with you there. He has had one season in the last 6 years that hasn't been great (and even that wasn't so bad)

Not just good numbers but consistently good numbers. I do agree though that we probably need to be thinking about somebody younger than him seeing as we will have a limited budget and have perhaps as many as 3 first team players to find and 2 or 3 competition/cover players to find.
He would be brilliant in this system but we need younger or cheaper

As you say its not bad numbers that he has put up but not for me still, his age is against him to start with and i would think we could do better.

I think he's a bit overrated tbh. You could argue his lack of goals could be explained by his lengthy absence or even a lack of motivation due to him leaving but I've never been convinced he's an £80m value striker. I just don't see it in him tbh.
I watched him quite closely in Brentford's game at our stadium this season and thought he was very good. Really gave our two at the back a hard time. Has everything needed to play as a number 9 for any team IMO.

I have seen a few suggestions in places that he could only play for a counter attacking team 'would be like Darren Bent all over again'. That is the opposite of what I think, I think Toney would be an even better player in a possession based team that dominates. He is not about using his pace to get in behind on the counter attack and he has bags of confidence.

I watched him quite closely in Brentford's game at our stadium this season and thought he was very good. Really gave our two at the back a hard time. Has everything needed to play as a number 9 for any team IMO.

I have seen a few suggestions in places that he could only play for a counter attacking team 'would be like Darren Bent all over again'. That is the opposite of what I think, I think Toney would be an even better player in a possession based team that dominates. He is not about using his pace to get in behind on the counter attack and he has bags of confidence.
I think he's a good player, just not sure he's quite the level some have rated him at. 80m seems a bit of premium for him to me, especially considering his age and contract situation. Kane was only 20m more and I think the gap is bigger than that.

I think he's a good player, just not sure he's quite the level some have rated him at. 80m seems a bit of premium for him to me, especially considering his age and contract situation. Kane was only 20m more and I think the gap is bigger than that.
It won’t be £80m

It will be Maddison levels of fee IMO as the circumstances are quite similar contractually

That is of we want him

I got a similar good impression at that game, he won most headers against Romero

Back