• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Scores and scores of clubs all over Europe - perhaps up to 100 - could have taken Cisse, and yet somehow it's uniquely a Harry/Spurs failing that we didn't take him?

The guy is a bit under a 1 in 2 striker over his 7 years in Europe (as per Wiki) and is on a massive heater at the moment. Fair play to him, and he might well have suddenly bloomed at 26. But ffs let's not pretend it was a no-brainer purchase, or that the guy is going to score 1 in 1 for the rest of his Toon career. We've seen the same hot streaks many times and you can't judge them over 13 games. Michael Ricketts anyone? There were people on here saying we should have signed that Fulham Polish guy a few weeks back - since then, not a goal and absolutely pants performances from what I've seen.

The knee-jerkery on this board really is totally unbearable at the moment.

Scores and scores of clubs all over Europe - perhaps up to 100 - could have taken Cisse, and yet somehow it's uniquely a Harry/Spurs failing that we didn't take him?

The guy is a bit under a 1 in 2 striker over his 7 years in Europe (as per Wiki) and is on a massive heater at the moment. Fair play to him, and he might well have suddenly bloomed at 26. But ffs let's not pretend it was a no-brainer purchase, or that the guy is going to score 1 in 1 for the rest of his Toon career. We've seen the same hot streaks many times and you can't judge them over 13 games. Michael Ricketts anyone? There were people on here saying we should have signed that Fulham Polish guy a few weeks back - since then, not a goal and absolutely pants performances from what I've seen.

point taken but MIcheal ricketts? rubbish example mate LOL

Top post. For a more recent example - look at Odemwingwe - although Cisse would most likely turn out to be a much better player but the media reference is fairly accurate

Last edited:
I'm going to stat calling you BrainOfMan!!!!

great post

they do have one true point though, since berbatov left we have not managed to identify and purchase permanently ONE good striker, despite being CL hopeful contenders.

you have to look at other teams and what they are prepared to do in order to secure that position. even liverpool (though they fudged up) paid what was necessary to secure the guy that they thought would be englands future number 9. for a while united wont need to do that cause of rooney, chelsea did the same in torres but stil had drogab and anelka to hope for a come back...which drogba is dong now that avb is gone, arsenal have Van persie, Emirates Marketing Project are stockpilling, et etc etc

we should have been able to permanently secure the services of at least ONE guy in the last 4 years

Fair enough on Berbatov, although he would be difficult to replace because he was so special for us.

Could be argued we got Crouch and Pav in that replaced Berbatov at different times. Neither were week in, week out guarenteed starters like he was in the season we got 4th, but at the end of the day we finished top 4 with them partnering Defoe, and we only got 5th with Berbatov, although obviously our squad wasn't as good when he was here. But at the end of the day Pav and Defoe was good enough to beat Arsenal and Chelsea while Crouch and Defoe was good enough to beat Emirates Marketing Project and clinch us the top 4.

But Crouch and Pav definitely did their jobs for a time. But then the next season Defoe was injured for long parts and was then unfit when he came back, and while Crouch and VDV had a somewhat effective partnership Pav became more and more marginalised. But we did have success post Berbatov, and then we got Ade when we could.

Put it this way if Ade goes this summer and we can't afford to bring him back, I'm absolutely certain we will sign one, maybe 2 quality strikers, for a reasonable price (maybe 10 million each) that our fans and other fans will be wondering why they didn't get. But the reason we will have got them is because we needed to replace Ade, where as they already had Cisse/Aguero/Carroll/Torres/Jelavic and didn't have the money or the squad place to bring in another quality striker where as we did.

I'm really not worried about our scouting system. We are definitely in for Verthongen for example. We need a centre back, a quality centre back is available, and we are there for him if he wants us. It would be really worrying if we weren't, because that's a position we would need to fill, a first team position that we can afford to pay for real quality, and hopefully he will come to us. But people shouldn't start saying that because we didn't sign an unproven striker who's in some good form when we already had our own very effective striker doing the job himself that our scouting system isn't working/Harry only signs off of MOTD etc.

Fair enough on Berbatov, although he would be difficult to replace because he was so special for us.

Could be argued we got Crouch and Pav in that replaced Berbatov at different times. Neither were week in, week out guarenteed starters like he was in the season we got 4th, but at the end of the day we finished top 4 with them partnering Defoe, and we only got 5th with Berbatov, although obviously our squad wasn't as good when he was here. But at the end of the day Pav and Defoe was good enough to beat Arsenal and Chelsea while Crouch and Defoe was good enough to beat Emirates Marketing Project and clinch us the top 4.

But Crouch and Pav definitely did their jobs for a time. But then the next season Defoe was injured for long parts and was then unfit when he came back, and while Crouch and VDV had a somewhat effective partnership Pav became more and more marginalised. But we did have success post Berbatov, and then we got Ade when we could.

Put it this way if Ade goes this summer and we can't afford to bring him back, I'm absolutely certain we will sign one, maybe 2 quality strikers, for a reasonable price (maybe 10 million each) that our fans and other fans will be wondering why they didn't get. But the reason we will have got them is because we needed to replace Ade, where as they already had Cisse/Aguero/Carroll/Torres/Jelavic and didn't have the money or the squad place to bring in another quality striker where as we did.

I'm really not worried about our scouting system. We are definitely in for Verthongen for example. We need a centre back, a quality centre back is available, and we are there for him if he wants us. It would be really worrying if we weren't, because that's a position we would need to fill, a first team position that we can afford to pay for real quality, and hopefully he will come to us. But people shouldn't start saying that because we didn't sign an unproven striker who's in some good form when we already had our own very effective striker doing the job himself that our scouting system isn't working/Harry only signs off of MOTD etc.

i dont see how Pav did his job, i like crouch but there was definately something lacking significantly with him, i saw him more of a partner to someone or a aplyer we could rotate. Not at the striker we needed to spear head progress

if Pav was considered a success then the reason you are okay with the scouting is very different from the reason i am 'currently' okay with the fact that we didnt get cisse. Pav was not the guy to play with VDV, he just wasnt.

crouch to a degree but the team was lacking something at the time to be honest

the pair of them 'did a job' but they were no the strikers identified to plug a hole. they couldnt have been.......if they were? then i would have a problem with the scouting too

i'm basically agreeing with something nayim said to me about two years ago......about how we are trying to pucrhase the right guy when he becomes available

I cringe when someone scores a good goal (which for the record in no way on this planet did he mean that) becuase I know there's going to be a thread on here either a) creaming themselves over said player or b) asking why we didnt sign him.

i dont see how Pav did his job, i like crouch but there was definately something lacking significantly with him, i saw him more of a partner to someone or a aplyer we could rotate. Not at the striker we needed to spear head progress

if Pav was considered a success then the reason you are okay with the scouting is very different from the reason i am 'currently' okay with the fact that we didnt get cisse. Pav was not the guy to play with VDV, he just wasnt.

crouch to a degree but the team was lacking something at the time to be honest

the pair of them 'did a job' but they were no the strikers identified to plug a hole. they couldnt have been.......if they were? then i would have a problem with the scouting too

i'm basically agreeing with something nayim said to me about two years ago......about how we are trying to pucrhase the right guy when he becomes available

Pav was a guy willing to be rotated and when he got his chance in the second half of 09/10 he completely took it. He wasn't so great when he was brought in, and he wasn't so great for the last year, but he had a period where he was definitely adding something to the team. But he was probably a bad purchase over all, because he was purchased to play alongside Bent and it was just a bad idea. Either he was identified as a player that he wasn't, or Commoli actually thought it would be a good idea. Either way Harry did well to get some value out of him when he did.

Crouch also did a job. Definitely agree there was something lacking with him but at the end of the day, the strikeforce of Defoe/Crouch/Pav got us 4th. We then added VDV who is an upgrade on Defoe's spot, and once we could, we got Ade in. Pav and VDV weren't a good partnership but the discussion wouldn't have been in scouting him to play Pav with VDV when he was signed because VDV wasn't here yet.

Last season we maybe could have got someone in, but the strikers that were on the move last year weren't in our price range - Carroll and Torres. And anyone identified would had to be definitely better than Pav, who a couple of months before had just proven himself to be a good player scoring goals in our run to the top 4.

I think everything happened as it reasonable could have been expected to. Ade was a definite upgrade on Pav but I'm not sure there were many definites on the move last season, which is why we were liked with the likes of Rossi, Llorente etc. Crouch is an anomaly all on his own in that he did a job for us, he does a job for Stoke and he would 'do a job' for probably any team in the world because of the strange type of player that he is. He is an option to be used if you want to use it, but we had success with him too.

Cisse has been averaging 2 goals in every 3 games played since his move to Germany 3 years ago I believe, in terms of minutes per goal. For the (putting it nicely) average Freiburg.

People need to stop assuming that just because a player has only come to their attention within a certain recent timeframe, that he wasn't performing excellently beforehand.

In the transfer rumour thread way back I asked this question.

I think given our striker issues, which may become more problematic in the summer, I would be surprised/disappointed if we weren't at leat looking at him.
Respected German Football pundit, Rafael Honigstein, had said way before Saudi Sportswashing Machine bought him that he'd be a great signing and that he'd been scoring goals for fun for a team constantly fighting relegation.

?ú10M seems like it would have been good business for us.

I know he couldn't play the Ade role, but to me his control and movement is so good that he would have added something to our attck - ruthless chance conversion at the least you'd imagine.

Anybody have any views of this, from a coaching/playing point of view or perhaps a club insider/ITK point of view (perhaps the fear we may be to reliant on too many players who potentially could go to the ANC?)? Perhaps there are/were some personality issues?

Thoughts?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? Had you ever heard of him before he rocked up at Saudi Sportswashing Machine? I certainly hadn't and the fact that no other English teams were in for him suggests perhaps he was not expected to amount to too much. He's certainly hit the ground running and been a fantastic success so far, but let's see what he does next season before judging him.

Amr Zaki, now there is a blast from the past. Anyone remember his overhead kick against Liverpool?

He's an attacking midfielder though (#10 essentially) - albeit a highly rated one

In FM and FIFA12 maybe. But in real life he's spent this season playing upfront in 352.
He's only a number 10 in the same way Suarez is. ie not at all.

I'd be delighted we started next season with Jovetic, Ba and someone like Yakubu or Shane Long as backup.
Defoe has to go. He can only play in a 442. We can't change formation just for our 3rd string striker.

Back