• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

He was the second highest goal scorer in Germany last season so why assume he would have been a squad player? I personally had never seen him play but I had heard about him. We could have signed him in the summer instead of Ade since he had a better goal scoring record.

Even if we had brought him and sold Pav in the summer it would have been an idea. But Cisse is just one player, but we failed to scout and buy a single striker last summer which was poor especially as we knew Pav was unreliable and Harry was not keen on 442 every week which means we were not going to get the best of Defoe.

Even if we were playing 1 up front we needed to strikers fighting for that one place. We were in 4 competitions so there would have been enough games to go round, and add to that injuries.......

It is ridiculous as some have said, to say buying a striker from abroad is a risk and then use that as an excuse to buy no one

people like us hearing about him isnt enough, i've heard about at least 10 strikers like him...including diouf when he was younger...and many more who were supposed to be talented but offered little in the end

the premiership is THE greatest footballing league leveller on earth. its the hardest one to play in overall. if you havent consistently proven yourself somewhere else AND if your marketability / exposure is not high then you will be overlooked at the higher levels of football more often than not. simple..

i find the last sentence of your first paragraph a little , i dont know how to put it politely, i'll thought at or at the very least not well explained / expanded upon. "we could have bought him in the summer instead of ade as he had a better goal scoring record". Hindsight is a 20/20 level sight.....you would have rather bought an unknown striker (media coverage / exposure wise) , a striker had only recently shown promise.., instead of a proven mulit skilled and athletic hold up player that has proven his worth in the past in the premiership and was deemed good enough for a squad place in the at the time second best team in the world in REal madrid for next to nothing, simply because someone else's numbers loked better for once in their career in a weaker league than the premiership? You might want to think that over and i can be sure that levy doesnt operate in that manner. (one would hope)

and for your information , we DID get a striker...his name was Ade. and until our recent poor form .......the guy was mustard for our overall team play. but of course you've always thought the Ade purchase was wrong from the beginning ? i'm sure you hated every moment of our impressive run and blamed our strike force for ....i dont know, but you're moaning now... coincidentally during a less than acceptable period this season. Not surprising to me this happens to people in general, it happens to everyone at some point.

buying aborad for the premiership IS a risk factor ..and you have to be careful when you do

I find you reasoning flawed and illogical as Levy has proved himself a good negotiator

yes , because we didnt pay over the odds for players in the past...what on earth was i thinking. Levy never gets taken on a negotiiating table for another adult player thats on a permanent contract

VDV aside, which was an odd one.....i would say that it goes either way. its funny cause thinking about it now...Levy even sold bent on the super cheap

You dont need to be a scout to look at the euorpean top scorers charts.

I could give Redknapp a few 'insiders' like that just by living over here and reading the papaer.

The big bundesliga miss for all the top clubs in the prem was Marco Reus, Dortmund already bagged him. Going to be an absolutely massive star.

Dortmund are unbelievable. Get Kagawa in for 200k, sell him on for 14 million to Man U and get in an upgrade as his replacement that costs less.

They've really got their house in order.

Perfectionist Patinkle Ciss?® a natural fit in the Saudi Sportswashing Machine No9 shirt

The striker's wonderful swerving shot at Stamford Bridge marks him out as someone special

• Share 4
  • Comments (42)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/sport/Pix/columnists/2012/5/3/1336066212717/patinkle-cisse-008.jpg Saudi Sportswashing Machine's Patinkle Ciss?® has proved to be the signing of the Premier League season. Photograph: Scott Heppell/AP

There was something enchanting about the way Patinkle Ciss?® knelt to the ground to kiss the Stamford Bridge turf after scoring a goal of such impeccably high standards it instantly shot to the top of his personal goalscoring charts. The homage to the grass upon which he prospered followed a celebration where he pointed to the heavens. The Saudi Sportswashing Machine striker is evidently full of gratitude to be in the position where he is flourishing so much, while most observers just feel thankful to be able to sit back and watch it.

Ciss?® reflected on what he describes as the best goal of his career with obvious enthusiasm. "I was so happy to score it," said the Senegalese. "When the ball came to me, I was only thinking about scoring. It was an instinctive finish." But that dash of spontaneity tells only part of the story.

Tim Krul, the Saudi Sportswashing Machine goalkeeper who confronts Ciss?® in practice, revealed that a perfectionist's streak underpins the form which has illuminated the club's positive run to the fringes of Champions League qualification. "He's incredible," Krul assessed. "He gets so upset when he misses a chance in training. Sometimes you'll see him arguing with himself for five minutes about how he missed it. It shows you what fantastic commitment he has. He wants to score all the time. But he doesn't score goals like that against me."

In-house teasing aside, Krul is full of admiration for the electric impact Ciss?® has made since joining the club from Frieburg last January. "If you have a striker like Ciss?® in your team you'll win games. If you can keep a clean sheet he'll win you matches. But to be that tired at the end of the game and to do that from out on the touchline was something special. He's world class and to get him for that price, he is a worthy No9."

Although Ciss?®'s first strike against Chelsea on Wednesday was a goal of considerable refinement and importance, his second was, understandably, the talk of the dressing room. "It was an amazing, amazing goal," gushed Jon?ís Guti?®rrez. "It is difficult to score with that part of your boot, I didn't know that was possible."

Since moving to Europe from his native Douanes Dakar at the age of 16, his goal ratio has incrementally improved. In France, he scored roughly a goal every 2.7 games. In Germany, he managed a goal every 1.7 games. In England, that sublime, swerving strike which arced past Petr Cech took his numbers to even better than a goal a game, 13 in 12 appearances in the Premier League. The 26-year-old Ciss?® is relishing the chance to demonstrate his wares on a higher stage, and it is no surprise to hear that he is currently enjoying life. "I came to the Premier League to show my quality, and everything is going well. I'm enjoying my football ÔÇô everything is good on and off the pitch."

Ciss?® has revelled in the famous Saudi Sportswashing Machine No9 shirt and received the backing of another previous incumbent. "I thought his first goal against Chelsea was good but his second was sensational," said the former Saudi Sportswashing Machine favourite and quintessential No9, Alan Shearer. "He had no right to shoot from there. Usually a player takes time to settle but he's taken no time whatsoever. He looks at ease, which is great. It's not only that he scores goals but his general play is very good. His movement behind defenders is great."

Ciss?® is another shining example of the Saudi Sportswashing Machine scouting department's midas touch. The club deserve the credit not only for following through their hunch on a player that had been scoring regularly in the Bundesliga (certain other Premier League clubs who had looked at him were apparently doubtful that he could score goals in England, judgment that looks risible now) but also for doing so at the market's most complicated point in mid-season.

The most hardened Premier League managers are not fans of the January transfer window. Sir Alex Ferguson is far from the only one to voice the opinion that there is "no value" at that time of the year. Even when he urged Manchester United to buy Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic in January 2006, he was purchasing them more for following seasons and had little expectations of an immediate impact. In fact both players struggled during their initial half-a-season in the Premier League. It is not unreasonable to expect a player coming from abroad to require some adaptation time. Indeed, sometimes even transfers from within the Premier League are anything but an instant hit. The January that preceded Ciss?®'s arrival was hardly a great advert for the midwinter purchase, as the infamous deals that took Fernando Torres to Chelsea and Andy Carroll to Liverpool were struck.

This season's January market has, though, been remarkably productive. Everton can reflect on the promising arrival of Nikica Jelavic from Rangers, whilst two short term signings have been excellent in Swansea's Gylfi Sigurdsson and Fulham's Pavel Pogrebnyak, both, like Ciss?®, from the Bundesliga. Evidently there are bargains to be had in the January window.

i find the last sentence of your first paragraph a little , i dont know how to put it politely, i'll thought at or at the very least not well explained / expanded upon. "we could have bought him in the summer instead of ade as he had a better goal scoring record". Hindsight is a 20/20 level sight.....you would have rather bought an unknown striker (media coverage / exposure wise) , a striker had only recently shown promise.., instead of a proven mulit skilled and athletic hold up player that has proven his worth in the past in the premiership and was deemed good enough for a squad place in the at the time second best team in the world in REal madrid for next to nothing, simply because someone else's numbers loked better for once in their career in a weaker league than the premiership? You might want to think that over and i can be sure that levy doesnt operate in that manner. (one would hope)

You are right hindsight is 20/20 and it i seasy to identify a player once he has started scoring goals in this country. However, if I had been the manager of Spurs I would have identified a number of strikers last season and had them scouted a number of times during the season. I myself would had made a number of scouting visits withpout advertising them in the media. By the summer I would have had a list of targets and I would have signed a couple. That may or maynot have included Cisse, but I would have relied on the judgements of my scouts as well as my own judgement. That is what I would have done and I do not think Levy would have had a problem with that

and for your information , we DID get a striker...his name was Ade. and until our recent poor form .......the guy was mustard for our overall team play. but of course you've always thought the Ade purchase was wrong from the beginning ? i'm sure you hated every moment of our impressive run and blamed our strike force for ....i dont know, but you're moaning now... coincidentally during a less than acceptable period this season. Not surprising to me this happens to people in general, it happens to everyone at some point.

Correction Ade was not purchased he was loaned which meant our main striker coul dnot play agiainst City, so that was a problem for me. We did not do the deal until we had lost our first 2 matches, another problem for me. Thirdly, the loan of Ade was not enough which meant we struggled when he was injured or suffering a loss of form.

buying aborad for the premiership IS a risk factor ..and you have to be careful when you do

In the final analysis there are still more foreign players than British players playing in this league. The fact is buying any player is a risk, that does not mean we should not take it. There can never be 100% guarantees, the best we can do hope that our management scout appropriately and make good judgement calls, something at the moment we are failing to do when it comes to buying strikers. By saying we should be careful or you are doing is stating the blindingly obvious which I agree with. Besides, I think we could both give numerous examples of players bought from this league that have been failures

The issue is not that we did not sign Cisse but that we did not buy anybody last summer, and even our loan was late. And when we finally bring someone in it is Saha who in my opinion is simply not good enough

To be fair I watch a lot of Bundesliga and did think Cisse was a tad overrated, seemed a bit like an Andy Cole tap-in merchant at times. But towards the end of his time at Freiburg he improved leaps and bounds, and in his defence the goal record was always there. Definitely worth a punt.

Every teams forum has a similar thread to this. We will always miss out on a good deal somewhere or other. If Marin is a smash at Chelsea everyone will say we should have one for him.

Lets see if we can get Leandro perhaps.

Is Redknapp a little guilty of overrating his strikers? He knows now how increasingly difficult it is to play Defoe. I'd say he's nailed on to leave this summer.

yes , because we didnt pay over the odds for players in the past...what on earth was i thinking. Levy never gets taken on a negotiiating table for another adult player thats on a permanent contract

VDV aside, which was an odd one.....i would say that it goes either way. its funny cause thinking about it now...Levy even sold bent on the super cheap

Bent wanted to go and Harry did not want to keep him. He was sold on the cheap to get him out of the club.

As for playing over the odds, sometimes you have to blame the manager who identifies a player. If Levy follows that judgement one could argue that the manager who identified the dud deserves the stick. I still have seen nothing to convince me that Spurs would have had to pay ?ú15m for Cisse as opposed to Saudi Sportswashing Machine's ?ú10m

What I really want to know is what Ian Broomfield is supposed to be doing. You certainly never hear him being mentioned in the same revered tones as Graham Carr.

The closest is this, which is Redknapp discussing the Sandro deal:

“I didn’t spot him, I didn’t spot him. I’d be a liar if I said I spotted him. He was recommended to us by Ian Broomfield the chief scout who went out to Brazil for three weeks. He followed him, I think he watched him four times; I didn’t have a chance to go to Brazil last year, it was impossible for me during the season.
“Ian is my chief scout, I rely on him. It was the first time I’ve done that but he came back and recommended him very highly. The chairman obviously was very keen; he went over there to complete the deal, so we got the kid here."

Every teams forum has a similar thread to this. We will always miss out on a good deal somewhere or other. If Marin is a smash at Chelsea everyone will say we should have one for him.

Lets see if we can get Leandro perhaps.

Is Redknapp a little guilty of overrating his strikers? He knows now how increasingly difficult it is to play Defoe. I'd say he's nailed on to leave this summer.

In all honesty I do not care about missing out on Cisse. I do care however that when we made the CL we did not buy a striker, and in Jan 2011 we did not buy a striker, and last summer we only signed Ade on loan, and in Jan 2012 we only brought in Saha. I think that is simply not good enough.

I know I sound like a broken record but I still do not comprehend how in Jan 2011 we are making bids of almost ?ú40m for the likes of Aguero, Llorente and Rossi yet come Summer 2011 we only get Ade on loan after we have lost our first 2 matches

I know I sound like a broken record but I still do not comprehend how in Jan 2011 we are making bids of almost ?ú40m for the likes of Aguero, Llorente and Rossi yet come Summer 2011 we only get Ade on loan after we have lost our first 2 matches

Maybe Levy was banking on a second successive CL season and when we flopped, the chequebook went cold?

What I really want to know is what Ian Broomfield is supposed to be doing. You certainly never hear him being mentioned in the same revered tones as Graham Carr.

The closest is this, which is Redknapp discussing the Sandro deal:

“I didn’t spot him, I didn’t spot him. I’d be a liar if I said I spotted him. He was recommended to us by Ian Broomfield the chief scout who went out to Brazil for three weeks. He followed him, I think he watched him four times; I didn’t have a chance to go to Brazil last year, it was impossible for me during the season.
“Ian is my chief scout, I rely on him. It was the first time I’ve done that but he came back and recommended him very highly. The chairman obviously was very keen; he went over there to complete the deal, so we got the kid here."

Maybe normally our scouts were ignored and that is why Carr left us to join Saudi Sportswashing Machine :)

I think the point is, if Broomfield hand-picked Sandro he can clearly spot a player, so why the over-reliance on Redknapp's old farts club?

Broomfield has been given Arry's collection of DVDs - 'Premiership, The 2005-2009 years' looking at experienced talent for our late August rush

Maybe Levy was banking on a second successive CL season and when we flopped, the chequebook went cold?

I think we were in the top 4 at the beginning of Jan 2011. We were more likely to have made the CL last season if we had signed someone in Jan 2011. Kind of like there is no guarantee that Saudi Sportswashing Machine will make CL but they have a better chance now that they have strengthened up front

Last edited:
Back