• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

In FM and FIFA12 maybe. But in real life he's spent this season playing upfront in 352.
He's only a number 10 in the same way Suarez is. ie not at all.

I'd be delighted we started next season with Jovetic, Ba and someone like Yakubu or Shane Long as backup.
Defoe has to go. He can only play in a 442. We can't change formation just for our 3rd string striker.

I don't play either of those games so I wouldn't know. As good of a logic as a turd really but thanks for that.

He plays in a very similar role to Dempsey actually. Bue he's most certainly not a striker nor someone how can lead the line - which is exactly what we need if (more close to when) Ade leaves. He is nothing like Suarez and barely has a 1 in 4 career record.

Interesting about the number of scouting trips you intend to make (MID SEASON) while you're competing on all fronts..League, FA cup, CL, and premiership as a first team manager coach. I dont tjink redknapp has hat amount of time on his hands and when he does go i would have thought it 2would be to see the final shortlist of 1 or 2 players at the top of the list.

Either way I together with my scouts I would have a list from whih I would have acquired two strikers last summer.

yes i am sure that the loan of ade was a problem for you, gawd darn it if only you were that vocal about your displeasure of our temporary purchase of Ade when we were flying.....maybe next time eh?

I think you are now being rather disingenuous africanspurs so let me clarify/repeat,

1. I was displeased that we signed him after we had lost our first two matches and not before the season started
2. I was displeased that we only signed Ade because I had no faith in Pav, and had stated that fact on numerous occasions which meant if Ade got injured, suffered a loss of form or if we played Emirates Marketing Project we would struggle. Guess what when he got injured or had a loss of form we struggled
3. At the beginning of the sesaon I thought Ade and Defoe would be a good partnership, I still think they are both Harry has chosen not to rely on that partnership which not only reiterates how important Ade has been but also how necessary it is for a player of similar quality who can play upfront on his own.

you can communicate more when we are flying high a bout how much you dont like a contributor as opposed to only come out of the shade when things arent going so well. woujld carry more weight. the loan of ade wasnt enough?[/B] we had ade, defoe and pav...THREE internationals in our team...whats the problem again? (not taking hindsight into account)

When we playing well he was still missing guilt edged chances in front of goal. What I have said is that I would not be satisfied if we start next season with Ade as our number 1 striker

there can never be 100% guarantee, true.......which is why i said minimise or cut the risk....not eliminate it completely cause thats impossible . there are more foreign players in the league than english, i dont have time to spell out what would turn out to be 10 volumes (500 pages each) of why that is the case..needless to say, if you can find a british / english coach and / or youth fooballers ..they wil tell you why that is. but i will say this , then you have to look at the risk factors vs expenses / cost at different tiers of the league...you have the top performing teams, top earners and biggest exposed teams , you have like at least 3 other sub catergory teams factored around their finances and fan base.....the higher you get up the chain the lower the risk is taken on purchases. Its a common practice...... why should a club that has high potential for gains and ALOT to lose go out there and risk a significant amount of money on players with higher risk to return ratios than players that are conditioned to suceed here?

Yet despite the risks you enumerate above at the tail end of the Jan 2011 transfer window we were suppose to be making bids approaching ?ú40m for strikers from Spain yet but come summer 2011 we then are unable to identify a single striker to buy.

how do you even know we arent scouting anyway? and how do you know that saha isnt just a victim of a team in bad form? you kept quiet when he played well against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but yet you want to include him as not good enough during a period where EVERYONE was playing below their level.

I think the fact that he had only scored 2 league goals all season and the fact that Everton were so desperate to pay up his contract and get him out of the club to be a warning sign. Add to that the fact that his injury record rivals Ledley King's, I would say if we really were scouting, if the best option we could come up with was Saha then I must confess that concerns me greatly.

and further more what on earth do you expect from a third choice striker that is satisfied with his role ? knowing he wont start but he wants to come on and do his best and make an impact. A THIRD STRIKER!!!

Harry has proved he has no faith in the Ade/Defoe partnership. When we play 1 up front and a 5 man midfield or 1 upfront with VDV just behind, or a 433 the fact is it is a role that Defoe has never been able to carry out effectively due to his seize and skill sets (Defoe is only effective with a strike partner, normally a big guy). Saha is best equipped of our other strikers to step in for Ade but alas he cannot do it very well. Not good enough

actually i might be going about this all wrong....YOU tell me what squad player we should have bought that would come to us and be happy with playing on the bench...in january..or better yet, you could tell me which striker we could have got that would have replaced ade straighht off the bat....in jaunary.

Why limit myself to a player happy to sit on the bench?

Anyway I would have gone for Leandro Damiao in the summer and or Lo?»c R?®my in the summer because I would not have started the season with Pav, his time was over at Spurs. No way would I have waited until Jan.

And least |I forget...........

we had ade, defoe and pav...THREE internationals in our team...whats the problem again? (not taking hindsight into account)

Pav was brick
Harry had no faith in the Ade/Defoe partnership
Defoe whom I like cannot play upfront on his own or with VDV, well not effectively anyway

I don't play either of those games so I wouldn't know. As good of a logic as a turd really but thanks for that.

He plays in a very similar role to Dempsey actually. Bue he's most certainly not a striker nor someone how can lead the line - which is exactly what we need if (more close to when) Ade leaves. He is nothing like Suarez and barely has a 1 in 4 career record.

The reference to Suarez is the way some people called Suarez a number 10 before he joined Liverpool and how he was too similar to VDV. Similarly you are calling Jovetic a number ten when he's plainly not.

IF he's not a striker and can't lead the line how has he successfully played the striker's role in a 433 this season?
That's the thing i like about Jovetic, he cant play left centre or right in the front 3 in a 433 and he can play as one of the 2 in a 442.

You'll could dismiss signing Messi with your above arguments.

Either way I together with my scouts I would have a list from whih I would have acquired two strikers last summer.

dont just say either way, you have to follow through with your logistics. In your mind you could find time to evaluate all these players mid season. How exactly? and if your scouts do it then how can you be as confident with their reccomendations...not to mention we dont know what they say to redkknapp

I think you are now being rather disingenuous africanspurs so let me clarify/repeat,

1. I was displeased that we signed him after we had lost our first two matches and not before the season started
2. I was displeased that we only signed Ade because I had no faith in Pav, and had stated that fact on numerous occasions which meant if Ade got injured, suffered a loss of form or if we played Emirates Marketing Project we would struggle. Guess what when he got injured or had a loss of form we struggled
3. At the beginning of the sesaon I thought Ade and Defoe would be a good partnership, I still think they are both Harry has chosen not to rely on that partnership which not only reiterates how important Ade has been but also how necessary it is for a player of similar quality who can play upfront on his own.

i was being disengenous, sorry, but stil

point 1. Why are you sitting there thinking we had an easy hand in the matter? totally ignoring or not addressing the various factors of his owner club and the financial constraints we faced? you make it like it was all sorted but we just decided to wait instaed of working on the thing. again..we had no area of power to work with , al cards helpd by city. yet you arent happy because we were two games late and he would miss ONE game in the season

Point 2. ade had a loss of form way before this recent dry patch where he wasnt scoring...but we still played well and we still won. so i dont see how point 2 stands as tall as you might perceive

point 3. cant really argue with that.

When we playing well he was still missing guilt edged chances in front of goal. What I have said is that I would not be satisfied if we start next season with Ade as our number 1 striker

okay thats fine. i think i would be happy enough with it personally.

Yet despite the risks you enumerate above at the tail end of the Jan 2011 transfer window we were suppose to be making bids approaching ?ú40m for strikers from Spain yet but come summer 2011 we then are unable to identify a single striker to buy.

is this you looking at rumours in the paper? i thought you said you dont do that? something like that or you uised the fact that it was paper rumours to discredit what i had to say, but now it appears a fair point to use? Not to mention as far as risk goes , you dont think that there is minimal risk buying a successful big country internal in the second best league in the world that has been successful at various levels of european and international contests? you dont see how that could be assessed risk whee the risk is probably assumed to be less than than the les exposed / marketed african player with not as a much european experience?

but i have no idea why we didnt pull out the cash though. odd. i can only assume we targeted ade, rossi got injured and for whatever reason llorente wasnt bought and remy decided to go somwhere else

I think the fact that he had only scored 2 league goals all season and the fact that Everton were so desperate to pay up his contract and get him out of the club to be a warning sign. Add to that the fact that his injury record rivals Ledley King's, I would say if we really were scouting, if the best option we could come up with was Saha then I must confess that concerns me greatly.

i see your concern , its valid on many levels. but i'd like to use my actual eyes in these kind of thigs. saha is a VERY good premiership footballer, but he is too injury prone...his goal record means little and what everton wanted means little. good striker and good pav upgrade IMO

Harry has proved he has no faith in the Ade/Defoe partnership. When we play 1 up front and a 5 man midfield or 1 upfront with VDV just behind, or a 433 the fact is it is a role that Defoe has never been able to carry out effectively due to his seize and skill sets (Defoe is only effective with a strike partner, normally a big guy). Saha is best equipped of our other strikers to step in for Ade but alas he cannot do it very well. Not good enough

if you look at the line ups, harry has used 2 strikers alot this season. so the first part doesnt make such sense to me. agreed about defoe as a lone striker...bad. saha is a matter of opinion and i dont share yours on him

Why limit myself to a player happy to sit on the bench?

whats the alternative? a significant upgrade to Ade in JANUARY?

Anyway I would have gone for Leandro Damiao in the summer and or Lo?»c R?®my in the summer because I would not have started the season with Pav, his time was over at Spurs. No way would I have waited until Jan.

how do you knwo we didnt go in for them?

The reference to Suarez is the way some people called Suarez a number 10 before he joined Liverpool and how he was too similar to VDV. Similarly you are calling Jovetic a number ten when he's plainly not.

IF he's not a striker and can't lead the line how has he successfully played the striker's role in a 433 this season?
That's the thing i like about Jovetic, he cant play left centre or right in the front 3 in a 433 and he can play as one of the 2 in a 442.

You'll could dismiss signing Messi with your above arguments.

unless he's adapted his game or something...as far as i can remember from when i followed footbal alot in the past...Jovetic wasnt considered a striker

unless he's adapted his game or something...as far as i can remember from when i followed footbal alot in the past...Jovetic wasnt considered a striker

He gone from being a creative winger to being very effective as a false nine.
He has 14 goals in 27 this season.

He gone from being a creative winger to being very effective as a false nine.
He has 14 goals in 27 this season.

wow, for a brick fiorentina with a mad coach...thats not bad

whats his dispersion like though...as in are his goals clustered together , in patches, or evenly spread across games?........do you know? i know i'm being silly but it would be good to know this about him cause i used to REALLY rate him. then he got injured

wow, for a brick fiorentina with a mad coach...thats not bad

whats his dispersion like though...as in are his goals clustered together , in patches, or evenly spread across games?........do you know? i know i'm being silly but it would be good to know this about him cause i used to REALLY rate him. then he got injured

He does seem to score them in 2s

J9DfE.jpg

dont just say either way, you have to follow through with your logistics. In your mind you could find time to evaluate all these players mid season. How exactly? and if your scouts do it then how can you be as confident with their reccomendations...not to mention we dont know what they say to redkknapp

This argument can go on ad infintum, bottom line our performance on the pitch during the 2010/2011 season revealed we needed an upgrade up front. I am disappointed we did not do so. I think with a combination of the combined resources of our club be it scouts/manager a target should have been acquired.

point 1. Why are you sitting there thinking we had an easy hand in the matter? totally ignoring or not addressing the various factors of his owner club and the financial constraints we faced? you make it like it was all sorted but we just decided to wait instaed of working on the thing. again..we had no area of power to work with , al cards helpd by city. yet you arent happy because we were two games late and he would miss ONE game in the season

I wan not happy because I do not think giving all the factors you have enumerated I do not think we were adequately prepared for the season, hell yes. We had 3 months to acquire a striker.

Point 2. ade had a loss of form way before this recent dry patch where he wasnt scoring...but we still played well and we still won. so i dont see how point 2 stands as tall as you might perceive

In spite of him not because of him. And when Ade was unavailable we made hard work of things

is this you looking at rumours in the paper? i thought you said you dont do that? something like that or you uised the fact that it was paper rumours to discredit what i had to say, but now it appears a fair point to use?

I said I do not beleive everything I read in the papers. Besides by the end of that discussion (whether or not we actually made those multimillion pound bids in Jan 2011)I deferred to you and accepted you were probably right and I wrong.

Not to mention as far as risk goes , you dont think that there is minimal risk buying a successful big country internal in the second best league in the world that has been successful at various levels of european and international contests? you dont see how that could be assessed risk whee the risk is probably assumed to be less than than the les exposed / marketed african player with not as a much european experience?

That has gone well over my head, could you kindly rephrase that?

i see your concern , its valid on many levels. but i'd like to use my actual eyes in these kind of thigs. saha is a VERY good premiership footballer, but he is too injury prone...his goal record means little and what everton wanted means little. good striker and good pav upgrade IMO

Pav had such a low bar that buying an upgrade on him is nothing to right home about. Firstly, I vehemently disagree with you about him being a very good premiership footballer and secondly I would not have signed him due to his dodgy injury record.

By the way if you are going to have Saha on the bench and only bring him on when Ade is injured or when we are desperate for a goal then I have to say his inability to score goals would be a factor for not signing him, especially over the previous 3 and a half years

if you look at the line ups, harry has used 2 strikers alot this season. so the first part doesnt make such sense to me. agreed about defoe as a lone striker...bad. saha is a matter of opinion and i dont share yours on him

We can agree to disagree, no harm in that

whats the alternative? a significant upgrade to Ade in JANUARY?

I think we are going round in circles again

how do you knwo we didnt go in for them?

I think fans in general are more interested in who their club actually signs as opposed to whom they may or may not have gone in for.

What was he trying to do then?

Score obviously, but have a shot on goal. He tries that again, 99 time out of a hundered that goes no where near what just happened. It was a freak goal that he will never do again.

I remember a Blackburn player a while back (his name escapes me) hit a shot so hard and fast that went like rocket right in the roof of the net that people were talking about it for ages. He never did it again.

I gave Alnoso credit for his half way line goal, because a couple of weeks later, he did it again.

Why do Strikers rich vein's of form mean you regret not buying them ?

It's been a long time question of mine and a bit of a bug bear really. Let's me explain....

I'll start from the turn of the centuary (these are PL goals only)

2000-2001 : We had Markus Stewart scoring 19 goals for Ipswich. I remember it well, he was talked about like the best thing since sliced bread, he was class. He never did it again. Ever.

2001-2002 : We had Pahars for Southampton, scores 14, I remember he was supposed to only get better and better. He never did it again. Ever.

2002-2003 : That was Beatties year for Southampton, scoring 23. England striker, talked about a lot, remember he scored against us a few times and after his goal tally, I said do it again. He never did, Ever.

2003-2004 : That was Forssell's year remember ? Scored 17 for Birmingham that year. Never did again, Ever.

2004-2005 : We had the diving penalty king extraordinaire Johnson, diving his way to 21 goals for Palace. He never got that many penalties again, ever.

2005-2006 : Harewood. 14 goals for the spammers. Did jack brick ever again.

2006-2007 : We come to Benni MaCarthy, 18 goals for Blackburn. He was supposed to the the business. Never did it again, ever. Kevin Doyle 13 for Reading, didnt McCarthy quote something like ?ú12m to buy him ? lol he never did that again and never will.

2007-2008 : I had to endure Santa Cruz, 19 goals for Blackburn. He wishes he could do it again, but will never.

2008-2009 : Yawn year, nothing out of the ordinary for me.

2009-2010 : As above

2010-2011 : Peter Odemwingie 15 goals for West Brom. Dont even ask, he wont.

2011-2012 : Ba and Cisse for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, 16 and 13 goals (to this date) so far are the most talked about. Going from the previous 10 years, will they do it again ?

My points are flavours of the month for one season are not the players we should be buying. Look above, look at those names (cringe). At the time yes, they did it for a season, they all sounded good and would have cost us a fortune, but now looking back, oh my lord. We need to buy consistantly good strikers not one that have their rich vein of form then die off into obsscurity never to achieve those false heights again.

p.s. This is my longest thread ever, and not one swear word.

Good post Wriggly.

I'll add another name: Michael Ricketts at Bolton scoring for fun one season and then pop, disappeared.

Back