• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I seem to be in the minority here, but I think VdV is average, at best. Sure he's talented, but factoring in his lack of mobility, fitness, fight (the odd sliding tackle is not fight) and failure to add anything to the team bar goals (and he doesn't score enough to justify those other deficiencies), I'd say the following are 'better' players: Bale, Modric, (Adebayor), Kaboul, Lennon (and King). Overall, Parker and Friedel added more to the team last season, too.

I have more sympathy for this argument than many. Not that I want him gone, but he's a tricky one to manage and to fit a team around (as opposed to, fitting into a team).

I seem to be in the minority here, but I think VdV is average, at best. Sure he's talented, but factoring in his lack of mobility, fitness, fight (the odd sliding tackle is not fight) and failure to add anything to the team bar goals (and he doesn't score enough to justify those other deficiencies), I'd say the following are 'better' players: Bale, Modric, (Adebayor), Kaboul, Lennon (and King). Overall, Parker and Friedel added
more to the team last season, too.

LMAO

I seem to be in the minority here, but I think VdV is average, at best. Sure he's talented, but factoring in his lack of mobility, fitness, fight (the odd sliding tackle is not fight) and failure to add anything to the team bar goals (and he doesn't score enough to justify those other deficiencies), I'd say the following are 'better' players: Bale, Modric, (Adebayor), Kaboul, Lennon (and King). Overall, Parker and Friedel added more to the team last season, too.

Our 4th best goal scoring ratio in the Premier League era.
Just beaten by Klinsmann, Adebayor and Sheringham - ahead of Berbatov, Keane and Defoe.

you can fly via somewhere. The world doesn't stop just because a direct flight isn't available.

I understand that but there are three flights in later today which are direct and are from Brazil. My point was really that due to the time difference and the flight length it is unlikely that he would have arrived this morning private or commercial. He would have surely have waited for a "direct" afternoon arrival flight which were available.

yep. Don't see how you'd consider that low though tbh mate?

?6m for a 26 year old who has Champions League experience, is regarded as one of the best players in his position in his league and the best defender within his national team. Sounds cheap to me. Who do you think WE could go and get for six million quid who can boast the same?

Difficult to get a high fee for a squad player, no matter how good he is.
Hands are forced when buying club know we aren't going to use him, that the player want to leave, and that there's two years left on contract.

?6m for a 26 year old who has Champions League experience, is regarded as one of the best players in his position in his league and the best defender within his national team. Sounds cheap to me. Who do you think WE could go and get for six million quid who can boast the same?

Are you Levy in disguise? 6m for a squad player we obviously are not going to use is excellent business.

One of the ITKs on SC Akqayid keeps saying get ready for the servers to crash.. he's implying it's all about to kick off any second!

.....we'll see

Considering Charlie is at best a backup to Walker and possibly 3rd choice with Naughton coming back from a year with Norwich, I'm sure we could easily get someone to fill his role for ?6m and still have change

Back