• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of the ITKs on SC Akqayid keeps saying get ready for the servers to crash.. he's implying it's all about to kick off any second!

.....we'll see

Ah the loser that gets nearly everything wrong. oohhhhh can't wait for the servers to crash any minute now.....yep any minute now it's gonna happen....yep just any minute from now.

Bwah we get so many of these "get ready it's going to kick off" moments over the summer, can't recall any that actually happened.

Considering Charlie is at best a backup to Walker and possibly 3rd choice with Naughton coming back from a year with Norwich, I'm sure we could easily get someone to fill his role for ?6m and still have change

It has nothing to do with his position within the squad. We have been fortunate that Walker has progressed. If he hadn't, Corluka would still be our #1 RB. But that isn't the point in the slightest. He was Tottenham's #1 RB for 3 years, he was Leverkusen's for 6 months and he is a central figure in the Croatian national team. My question wasn't "Which 3rd choice journeyman can we pick up for ?6m", it was who can you find with Charlie's experience, in the prime of his career with plenty of time to run on his contract for such a cheap price. Give me some names of proven CL players, mid twenties who are a given to start for their national team that cost six million quid please.

I've pretty much accepted Modric is going. Levy did brilliantly to keep him last summer, but I don't think he'll get his way again this time. I reckon he'll go to Real Madrid.

superspurs ? 1 hour ago

Its on, will be completed the weekend.

Jan and his agent are bluffing Ajax as they know the player has to go this window as Ajax can not afford to let him leave on a free.

The press are just rehashing comments made last week to make up a new story.

Jan will be done and dusted, along with Glyfi and AVB the weekend when all 3 will be announced and the new shirt will be displayed to the public for the 1st official time

why, whats different from this year in his contract compared to last ?

He played great at the Euros which raises his stock even higher.

A year less on his contract.

We all know players eventually get their own way.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm worried that one of the main reasons that Levy said no to Modric last summer was because of who it was approaching. If it was a club that wasn't one of our biggest rivals, I'm not so sure he would have been so defiant.

Redknapp was able to settle Modric down after the transfer window closed and all the speculation died down, will the next manager be able to do the same?

why, whats different from this year in his contract compared to last ?

One year less of it to run. So no significant difference.

More to the point, I'm not sure that it's a case of Levy not getting his "way again this time". He made his point last summer and was true to his word. Power struggle won. I suspect that he will be happy to sell Luka this summer for a high price - especially if it's to a club like Real Madrid. Means that Luka won't be going to PL rival and it also puts us in pole position to sign any player that might be surplus to requirements at the Bernabeu, should we want them.

It has nothing to do with his position within the squad. We have been fortunate that Walker has progressed. If he hadn't, Corluka would still be our #1 RB. But that isn't the point in the slightest. He was Tottenham's #1 RB for 3 years, he was Leverkusen's for 6 months and he is a central figure in the Croatian national team. My question wasn't "Which 3rd choice journeyman can we pick up for ?6m", it was who can you find with Charlie's experience, in the prime of his career with plenty of time to run on his contract for such a cheap price. Give me some names of proven CL players, mid twenties who are a given to start for their national team that cost six million quid please.

Hardly a proven CL player, the guy has played less than 10 CL proper games. Simply playing CL games doesn't make you 'CL Proven'

For a player with his athletic limitations, ?6m is a fair price. A good deal for both teams. The 'name a player' argument is stupid, because nobody knows the value of any player until you ask the club.

I like Corluka and he's a good player, but no more. He is a decent defender with good positioning, but athletically challenged which massively limits him. You talk about him as if we're selling Philip Lahm for ?6m.

More to the point, I'm not sure that it's a case of Levy not getting his "way again this time". He made his point last summer and was true to his word. Power struggle won. I suspect that he will be happy to sell Luka this summer for a high price - especially if it's to a club like Real Madrid. Means that Luka won't be going to PL rival and it also puts us in pole position to sign any player that might be surplus to requirements at the Bernabeu, should we want them.

I agree with this, but I also think if Levy doesnt want to sell he wont. If he does go it's simply because Levy has decided to sell, not because Modric got his way.

that is indeed surprising.

ahead of bent as well? armstrong?

Games per goal ratio (league only)

1.86 - Jurgen Klinsmann
1.94 - Emmanuel Adebayor
2.40 - Teddy Sheringham
2.54 - Rafael van der Vaart
2.59 - Dimitar Berbatov
2.62 - Robbie Keane
2.89 - Jermain Defoe
2.94 - Chris Armstrong
3.33 - Darren Bent
3.43 - Ahmed Mido
3.58 - Les Ferdinand
3.71 - Roman Pavlyuchenko
3.97 - Steffen Iversen
4.29 - Frederic Kanoute
4.35 - Nicky Barmby
6.08 - Peter Crouch

Why would we sign Gylfi just because VdV has two years left on his contract?!?!? We'd just extend VdV's deal......!

Cant see VdV going anywhere - he's one of the 3 best players we have

It's not simply because of that, but I think it's the whole combination of things. We'd be extending the deal of a declining performer who may not fit into the new tactical system, rather than signing someone for less money, making a profit on the deals and someone who has his best years ahead of him.

If it's AVB, I don't think Rafa has the pace to play in the top 3, and I don't think he is best a lot deeper in the middle 3. It makes a lot of sense to me. I could be well wrong, and I love Rafa as a player, but I think he was much more suited to Harry, who would play him just off the striker and be the main attacking fulcrum, as opposed to potentially a new manager that prefers pacy attackers being the main support to the central man.

Yeah, I don't see why people say '1 year less' as if it makes all that much difference.

If it's 2 years left, then it makes a difference. It's the last summer that the club can charge maximum price and get full value, because if they hang on another year they risk losing the guy for nothing. 5 years to 4 years wouldn't make that much difference to the club, and I'm sure if Levy really wanted to dig his heels in again he could.

But it could also make sense to let him go now, because it may be hard to extract the same level of motivation for someone that feels he had 'given the extra year' and now will well and truly be distracted, and also because if we can get Sahin in plus 30 mil, that represents excellent business and allows us to really strengthen the team in all sorts of other areas too.

...He also hinted at Moutinho!

Lol...I'd love it if we unveiled Moutinho tomorrow, and made no announcement on a manager.

Even though it would be blatantly obvious who it is by that point, it would just be hilarious to see our club website still doing everything 'by the book'. And to see some papers still say 'Levy is still considering a swoop for Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, or former England coach Fabio Capello' for example.

Not that those managers wouuldn't want Moutinho, but...yeah.

If the 25m + Carcalho + Sahin for Modric rumour was true I think I would be happy with that.

That buys us a top class striker, gets us a replacement to Modric (perhaps not the same but still quality (and younger)) and adds depth to the defence, over all that leaves us stronger.

And I think for it to be worth our while in selling Modric it has to be a deal with that sort of benefit

Just got it confirmed.
MASSIVE MASSIVE

Will post it here in 5 mins IF I get the go-ahead from my source. (Don't want to jeapordize his job as he needs to feed his family.

He played great at the Euros which raises his stock even higher.

A year less on his contract.

We all know players eventually get their own way.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm worried that one of the main reasons that Levy said no to Modric last summer was because of who it was approaching. If it was a club that wasn't one of our biggest rivals, I'm not so sure he would have been so defiant.

Redknapp was able to settle Modric down after the transfer window closed and all the speculation died down, will the next manager be able to do the same?

all this means nothing IMHO.

i think that if levy wants to sell HE will sell, if he doesnt then it wont happen.

i have a feeling he is more than willing to sell if he can get certain guarantees , money and players. in the end everyone win in that scenario. but only if he wants to sell and we arent bullied into doing so.

Back