• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Berbatov had, what, a year left on his contract? It was either sell him then or recieve a minimal fee in January while the player sulked his way through the season because he knew he'd be leaving one way or the other.

Modric is a totally controllable entity. He has four years to run on his contract. Four years. If we don't sell him this summer how likely is he to sulk for four years straight? He'd be thirty by the time his contract ran out and no one in Europe would want to tke a chance on him.

No, Modric has little choice but to buckle down and give it his all once the window closes. He knows this. We know this. Ergo, we hold all the cards.

The days of Berbatov-era bullying are long gone. Levy hands out long contracts for a reason.

I would love to be in that room with Modric his agent and Levy. Just watching. I imagine Daniel smoking a cigar, probably wearing a top hat, cape and a monocle. Getting his pocket watch out, checking the time and then putting it back...

Sahin turn us down? Why would a turkishman turn down the chance to come to Tottenham?! :)

Raphael Honigstein said on ESPN Press Pass Spurs are trying to get Sahin as part of the Modric deal but Sahin doesn't want to come here. I wouldn't say this one is 100% dead but it doesn't look promising.

Raphael Honigstein said on ESPN Press Pass Spurs are trying to get Sahin as part of the Modric deal but Sahin doesn't want to go there. I wouldn't say this one is 100% dead but it doesn't look promising.

If he needs a club to impress at he could do a lot worse than us.

Good post. People who genuinely believe we have no money are talking rubbish.

I don't think that, we must have made significant amounts selling players and have made strong savings on wages. But without clarity on whether the stadium is draining resources it is a fair question to ask were the money is going, or rather why it isn't being spent.

I don't think that, we must have made significant amounts selling players and have made strong savings on wages. But without clarity on whether the stadium is draining resources it is a fair question to ask were the money is going, or rather why it isn't being spent.

TRY HERE/THIS !!???

thumbnail.aspx

Prior to around 2009 we spent money like it was going out of fashion. All of a sudden it stopped. Why? Ticket prices went up, champions league income came by the bucketload, players went for much more than they were bought in. Yet still nothing's been spent. There's money there but we're holding it back.

Some said it was for the new manager as Levy didn't trust Harry with it - what a load of bollox that's turned out to be.

Levy said money would be available regardless of our stadium intentions - again looks like bollox.

Some said we must sell to make room in the 25 - guess what we have!!

Huge fudge up in my opinion.

TRY HERE/THIS !!???

thumbnail.aspx

And as I have posted elsewhere it is my feeling that the stadium and training ground are likely draining resources. If so then I accept that considering their importance to the club (even if a balance has to be struck). But I was responding in relation to the point that Levy has assured fans that resources would not be greatly affected by these projects, based on the last 3 windows I am unconvinced by that. Finally, shouting does nothing for anyone.

Remember - it's been a very difficult summer to sign players...

Firstly, we had to wait for the euros to start.

Then, we had to wait for the euros to finish.

Then, all the players and agents were on holiday,

Then, we had to wait for the Olympics to start,

Then, we had to wait for the Olympics to finish,

Then, we had to wait for our trip to the USA to finish,

Then, we had to wait for all the 'big boys' to finish their spending so we could see what scraps were left

Then we had to...

Oh gonads. There's always a bloody excuse why we are not signing anyone.

Prior to around 2009 we spent money like it was going out of fashion. All of a sudden it stopped. Why? Ticket prices went up, champions league income came by the bucketload, players went for much more than they were bought in. Yet still nothing's been spent. There's money there but we're holding it back.

Some said it was for the new manager as Levy didn't trust Harry with it - what a load of bollox that's turned out to be.

Levy said money would be available regardless of our stadium intentions - again looks like bollox.

The market as a whole has been stagnant since the banking crisis and the only clubs which have been spending are those with sugar daddies.

And as I have posted elsewhere it is my feeling that the stadium and training ground are likely draining resources. If so then I accept that considering their importance to the club (even if a balance has to be struck). But I was responding in relation to the point that Levy has assured fans that resources would not be greatly affected by these projects, based on the last 3 windows I am unconvinced by that. Finally, shouting does nothing for anyone.

Levy said that but we can only take his word for it.

The thing is I dont think it actually is draining resources - why the hell buy Sig if we had limited funds? It is the Sig signing that confirms to me we do have the funds but we are being ****s about signing a couple of strikers.

I blame the clubs we are trying to buy from too but I can imagine Levy I really can.

I don't think we've got the money. Of course none of us really know, but I'm guessing we don't. Perhaps AVB knew this when he took over and accepted it because he wanted to stay in England.

Levy can't come out and say the stadium is going to affect our transfer budget because teams would then circle like vultures.

It doesn't look good if we do have some money but their choosing not to give it to AVB.

I think it's a safe assumption that the recession hasn't affected football milo.

It will at clubs which depend on credit to fund transfer activity. There are still massive amounts of TV money coming into the Premier League (and even more from 2013-14) but at most clubs this is almost all going on players' wages.

DSF -

Levy's always confidently stated that the stadium build would never affect the transfer policy, true. However, much of that was said before the effects of the financial crisis became fully apparent. Cheap credit dried up, and is presumably still much harder to find than in the pre-2008 era. That presumably has had an effect on our ability to spend on the team. Ditto the money spent on the Stratford affair, which in all likelihood did come out of the club coffers, due to the suddenness of the whole affair and the need to move quickly. Ditto the increased wage budget, which remains at a CL level despite our last involvement in the competition coming a season and a bit ago. Ditto the new training ground, which has probably swallowed up much of the money received from the increased commercial deals we've signed over the last few years. All these things have impacted on our ability to spend.

Finally, there are very few players who can make a difference to the side at this point in time. It's no use going for the likes of Fletcher or Pogrebynak- they wouldn't elevate us to the level we want to be at. We're currently on the rung directly below the big boys - above the majority of our rivals but below the real giants of Europe. To get us up to their level, we need

a)Champions League footie, and

b)world-class players/coaching staff.

Now, we reach the crux of the problem - world class players will only come to us when we secure Champions League footie. However, with the massively competitive nature of the PL these days, we need a world-class player or two just to qualify for the aforementioned competition. So, we need players who will only come to us if we qualify for the CL, but we need those same players to help us qualify for the CL. It's a difficult situation to be in, but it's one we now find ourselves stuck in.

There is a way out of it, which is signing young, talented players who have slipped under the radar somewhat. Sandro was, and remains, a prime example of this type of signing. However, I very much doubt Redknapp even considered players from outside the PL and England, unless they were either very, very good (And thus well-known) or proven over the years (and thus on high wages). Thus, we find ourselves with no real targets to pursue other than the ones that, as mentioned before, are very unlikely to consider dropping to our level when they can simply wait for the bigger boys to come and pick them up. It's intensely frustrating.

AVB will change that, I'm sure of it. His scouting system will likely encompass a broader range of players, and we will eventually start picking up those raw diamonds, the ones that can make a difference to our team without being too expensive.
However ,for the moment, we're playing a really, really difficult game, and hence I'm not surprised we're not making much progress. I'm frustrated and angry, of course, but not surprised.

I look at the likes of Paulo Dybala('the new Sergio Aguero'), picked up by Palermo for a relatively minor fee, and I wonder why we aren't in for these players. Then I remember that the system we had in place for years has only just come to an end, and it'll take time for a more extensive, deliberative scouting system to be set up. IN the meantime, hope and pray, that's all we can do.

Levy said that but we can only take his word for it.

The thing is I dont think it actually is draining resources - why the hell buy Sig if we had limited funds? It is the Sig signing that confirms to me we do have the funds but we are being ****s about signing a couple of strikers.

I blame the clubs we are trying to buy from too but I can imagine Levy I really can.

I agree. The Sig one is interesting in that it was a surprising target, but surely it didn't cost any more than what we have brought in from likes of Pav, Kranky and other sales? We must have funds there, no way would AVB have taken the job without guarantees but then he may have underestimated how Levy deals. That said the market is problematic, and our market status and clout is less than we might think. Just shocked we are in this position, relying on a striker who even Harry was no longer convinced by is deeply concerning. As for your final point I agree, but then Levy has a reputation for being extremely tough so can't be surprised if others behave likewise.

Ahh to the days of Ramos when we had a lot of our transfers in before the start of the season
Where are Niang and MVila mate? You said they were signed.

Just like Akqayid said that Adebayor and Lloris were signed.

Where are all these "signed" players, in our new sauna complex getting ready for Saturday?

Back