• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We don't need 5 CBs plus King. Most teams only have 4, some even 3. Look at Chelsea with Terry, Luis, Alex/Cahill. Ivanovich and Essien able to cover if needed. United have Rio, Vidic, Smalling, Jones. Not sure if I want to count Evans as a footballer.

Thing is, Chelsea looked dire at the back when Terry was out and they hadn't signed Cahill yet.. Luiz and Ivanovic were causing all sorts of problems with eachother, I mean I think at one stage they had to play Ferreira there (I think that was actually against us at WHL).

Arsenal have a lack of centre backs and that cost them really early on. Man Utd without Vidic simply aren't that good at the back, imagine if Ferdinand got injured all season too.. They'd of had Jones/Smalling and Evans at the back and one of them at right back. It's not the most EXPERIENCED Man Utd defence.

We are lucky we have the likes of Gallas, King, Dawson, Kaboul and even Nelsen last season. Caulker coming back from loan, Walker's ability to play centre back too.

It makes me laugh that people are delighted that Nelsen is going.

He was brought in for a very short period to cover a very specific hole we had, he played a half dozen times when needed, he didn't make a single mistake that I can remember, and probably cost fudge all.

You'd swear he was bought as the future of Spurs but is now being unceremoniously dumped. Which is a horrible, horrible failure to discern the different reasons different players are brought in at various stages of the season. It also feeds the nasty insinuation that Harry would have 11 Nelsen's in the team if he could, when it is abundantly clear he was a rather wise and cheap stop-gap, nothing more.

Frees up wages of a near-nothing player who would have taken the place of a potential much, much better defender in the 25-man squad. Why is that laughable? He appeared less mobile than King on certain occasions.

And yes - Arry does like older, cheaper players who also happen to get paid wages while in some cases contributing very little to the team. So - the more fringe units we can clear - the better, imv. This is not another supremacist anti-agenda towards our manager - a mere observation and concerning reality in our transfer dealings

Last edited:
A glowing endorsement. I guess he might be taking Song's place in the team, or maybe rotating with Song and Wheelchair.

I don't think he'd take Song's place in the team but I think he may be brought in to play alongside him. Song/Mvila would be a bit like Vieira/Gilberto which brought them success.

Song....Mvila
....Wheelchair

is a pretty scary midfield, I mean Arteta would be the one they'd replace but you can bet if Wheelchair is still injured in the upcoming season Arteta would be there and he's been alright this year.

Thing is, Chelsea looked dire at the back when Terry was out and they hadn't signed Cahill yet.. Luiz and Ivanovic were causing all sorts of problems with eachother, I mean I think at one stage they had to play Ferreira there (I think that was actually against us at WHL).

Arsenal have a lack of centre backs and that cost them really early on. Man Utd without Vidic simply aren't that good at the back, imagine if Ferdinand got injured all season too.. They'd of had Jones/Smalling and Evans at the back and one of them at right back. It's not the most EXPERIENCED Man Utd defence.

We are lucky we have the likes of Gallas, King, Dawson, Kaboul and even Nelsen last season. Caulker coming back from loan, Walker's ability to play centre back too.

Arsenal have a lack of QUALITY CBs. Djorou is permanently injured, Squillaci toss and Mertesacker :lol:

I think Nelsen was an excellent stop gap signing. Allowed us to cover our injuries really well without having to spend any real money. Filled a gap while we waited for our strategic target to become available this Summer.

I am surprised that Nelsen is heading off to the MLS. From what I saw of him he could put off his virtual retirement for another year and easily play another season of Premiership football at a number of the mid to lower ranking clubs.

I think Nelsen was an excellent stop gap signing. Allowed us to cover our injuries really well without having to spend any real money. Filled a gap while we waited for our strategic target to become available this Summer.

I am surprised that Nelsen is heading off to the MLS. From what I saw of him he could put off his virtual retirement for another year and easily play another season of Premiership football at a number of the mid to lower ranking clubs.

He'll get some sort of coaching role and supposedly has an American(?) wife.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

THFC News‏@THFC_Rumours

A very reliable source has told me that Sneijder is interested in a move to the Premier League, and that Levy is talking to his agent #thfc

WhoScored.com ‏@WhoScored

Most headed goals in Europe's top 5 leagues this season: Athletic Bilbao 19, Marseille 17, Lyon/Man Utd/Schalke/Osasuna 16

Llorente and Remy

Easy, play him against the smaller teams, play him in europe, play him in the cups.

Don't play him against the 'top 6', and try and avoid playing him against the 'top 10' away from home.

Swansea, with an inferior squad and "attacking" playing style managed the same amount of clean sheets as us last season and Caulker played pretty much every game he was available for them. I'd give him the step up.

swansea, with an inferior squad and "attacking" playing style managed the same amount of clean sheets as us last season and caulker played pretty much every game he was available for them. I'd give him the step up.

vorm !!!!!

Swansea, with an inferior squad and "attacking" playing style managed the same amount of clean sheets as us last season and Caulker played pretty much every game he was available for them. I'd give him the step up.

I would as well.. I was responding to someone who didn't think he was good enough.. ;)

If we have Dawson, Kaboul, King and Gallas it will be hard enough giving Vertonghen enough time to get acclimatised without adding Caulker to the mix. Give him another year on loan. This will be our last season with Gallas and possibly King.

If we have Dawson, Kaboul, King and Gallas it will be hard enough giving Vertonghen enough time to get acclimatised without adding Caulker to the mix. Give him another year on loan. This will be our last season with Gallas and possibly King.

With the option to recall?

Just in case Gallas and King both spend all season in the physio room...

Frees up wages of a near-nothing player who would have taken the place of a potential much, much better defender in the 25-man squad. Why is that laughable? He appeared less mobile than King on certain occasions.

And yes - Arry does like older, cheaper players who also happen to get paid wages while in some cases contributing very little to the team. So - the more fringe units we can clear - the better, imv. This is not another supremacist anti-agenda towards our manager - a mere observation and concerning reality in our transfer dealings

The thing with Nelsen and Saha is that they were both picked up FOR FREE ON SIX MONTHS CONTRACTS to replace Bassong and Pav, and IMO played at least as well. I doubt they were on bigger wages than their replacements.

I agree with you ArcspacE in that I'm happy for them to make way for better options, but it has annoyed me how other people have acted as if they are typical of Harry's signings.

In fact, maybe you are one of those people; I disagree with you about these players who have increased our wage bill but contributed very little to our team. Who are they? Friedel, Gallas and Parker have all contributed a lot. Maybe Pienaar, but he doesn't really qualify as an 'older player' and we should be able to sell him at a profit.

vorm !!!!!

GK-Comparison-1.png

GK-Comparison-2.png

Never really thought of him as being dominant in the air, impressive.

Back