• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Swansea, with an inferior squad and "attacking" playing style managed the same amount of clean sheets as us last season and Caulker played pretty much every game he was available for them. I'd give him the step up.

And play him ahead of who? Vertonghen (assuming he signs)? Or Kaboul? Or Gallas? Or King (when fit)? Maybe Daws...

We need every point we can get to finish top 4

Playing in a team like swansea which has so much possession can only help defenders as they're under the cosh less. Compare playing for a team which has 60% possession against playing for one which has 50%. that means the opposition only have 40% compared to 50% so you thereore have 20% less defending to do (1 - 40/50). that can only help you look good (am not saying that he isnt though)

top 10 average possession 2011/12:

1. arsenal - 59.6%
2. city - 57.7%
3. swansea - 57.6%
4. utd - 57.3%
5. spurs - 56.3%
6. chelsea - 55.4%
7. liverpool - 55%
8. wigan - 49.9%
9. fulham - 48.9%
10. wolves - 47.8%

top 10 average possession 2011/12:

1. arsenal - 59.6%
2. city - 57.7%
3. swansea - 57.6%
4. utd - 57.3%
5. spurs - 56.3%
6. chelsea - 55.4%
7. liverpool - 55%
8. wigan - 49.9%
9. fulham - 48.9%
10. wolves - 47.8%

Interesting that Saudi Sportswashing Machine arent in the top 10 - shows that they are bloody efficient/effective when they have the ball given that they finished 5th

GK-Comparison-1.png

GK-Comparison-2.png

Never really thought of him as being dominant in the air, impressive.

Penalty saves really skews those totals.

If we have Dawson, Kaboul, King and Gallas it will be hard enough giving Vertonghen enough time to get acclimatised without adding Caulker to the mix. Give him another year on loan. This will be our last season with Gallas and possibly King.

I'd personally give King a job in on the coaching staff and sell Dawson. King's body has finally cracked on him, it was a valiant effort but nobody can avoid training indefinitely. As for Dawson, he's never been good enough imo. Caulker has truely outstanding potential, putting him on loan for another season is of no value to anyone. Sink or swim time.

And play him ahead of who? Vertonghen (assuming he signs)? Or Kaboul? Or Gallas? Or King (when fit)? Maybe Daws...

We need every point we can get to finish top 4

Playing in a team like swansea which has so much possession can only help defenders as they're under the cosh less. Compare playing for a team which has 60% possession against playing for one which has 50%. that means the opposition only have 40% compared to 50% so you thereore have 20% less defending to do (1 - 40/50). that can only help you look good (am not saying that he isnt though)

Did you actually see King for the second half of the season? You think that with another summer of doing nothing and another preseason not being able to train his legs will miraculously come back to him? Even Gallas is starting to wobble. Kaboul/Vertonghen will be our first choice next season and Caulker will be pushing them. Dawson isn't even on my radar.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

THFC News‏@THFC_Rumours

A very reliable source has told me that Sneijder is interested in a move to the Premier League, and that Levy is talking to his agent #thfc

add messi, ronaldo, falcao, neuer and pique and we might just win the title. make ithappen mr levy.

He should be loaned. Needs to be playing every week, not sitting on the bench or just as likely in the stands.

He should be loaned. Needs to be playing every week, not sitting on the bench or just as likely in the stands.

I'll guarentee you that he'll play every CC/Europa game and be 3rd/4th choice in the league. That is not a bad starting place. What do you do next season when you have the three same names potentially ahead of him? Loan him again?

Ridiculous, at this point, loaning him out makes a competitor stronger and us weaker, he is ready to be part of our campaign, there is no profit in denying him the opportunity.

You can't havea recall on a senior player playing in the Prem.

Is this new?

You could loan him out on a one month rolling loan deal, which would pretty much achieve the same thing..

It's not like you need to register him for the league, as he is U21...

Did you actually see King for the second half of the season? You think that with another summer of doing nothing and another preseason not being able to train his legs will miraculously come back to him? Even Gallas is starting to wobble. Kaboul/Vertonghen will be our first choice next season and Caulker will be pushing them. Dawson isn't even on my radar.

Agree that King was poor last season however I bet that next year if we had injuries and only one of Kaboul, Vert and Gallas available then the majority of posters on here (and Harry) would chose King over Caulker and Dawson in order to step in.

My point though was more that people here are saying that we should throw caulker into league games next season - some saying against hte weaker teams, some saying against all teams. As I said, we need every point we can get to finish top 4 so am not sure that playing Caulker reguarly ahead of Kaboul, Vert or Gallas makes sense

I'll guarentee you that he'll play every CC/Europa game and be 3rd/4th choice in the league. That is not a bad starting place. What do you do next season when you have the three same names potentially ahead of him? Loan him again?

Ridiculous, at this point, loaning him out makes a competitor stronger and us weaker, he is ready to be part of our campaign, there is no profit in denying him the opportunity.

Amusingly this is not exactly a bad thing if you loan him to a team that you do not think will compete with you in the league. After all, do you not want a stronger Swansea team that can take points off Arsenal, Chelsea etc?

Whilst as he is loaned from us, when we play them he would be unavailable.

So strengthening a competitor is not exactly a bad thing.

Agree that King was poor last season however I bet that next year if we had injuries and only one of Kaboul, Vert and Gallas available then the majority of posters on here (and Harry) would chose King over Caulker and Dawson in order to step in.

My point though was more that people here are saying that we should throw caulker into league games next season - some saying against hte weaker teams, some saying against all teams. As I said, we need every point we can get to finish top 4 so am not sure that playing Caulker reguarly ahead of Kaboul, Vert or Gallas makes sense
I don't agree with playing him ahead of Kaboul or Vertonghen (assuming we sign him), however, I would put him ahead of both Daws and King and depending how he performs in cup games, I'd possibly think about putting him ahead of Gallas as Gallas is having more and more slip ups. Seriously, our CBs are not as good as people think (well, King, Gallas, Daws). Past reputations don't block shots.

Back