• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gallas leads five out Spurs exit as AVB trims his squad to make room for Damiao

Andre Villas-Boas will start his Tottenham cull this week after finalising a list players he deems surplus to requirements.

The Portuguese manager wanted to give each member of the Spurs squad a chance to prove themselves during the opening few weeks of his White Hart Lane reign.

Tottenham returned from their three-match US tour on Tuesday before beating Championship side Watford 1-0 in a pre-season friendly on Sunday.

And Villas-Boas has now decided which players he feels have no future at the club under his leadership.

The former Chelsea manager will inform the squad members who will be allowed to leave White Hart Lane ahead of the new season in a series of private meetings, which are understood to be planned for this week.

David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Sebastien Bassong, William Gallas and Kyle Naughton are all expected to be told they can leave this summer, while a number of the club's youngsters will be made available for loan.

Sandro, Steven Caulker and Gio Dos Santos will be given extra time to prove their credentials due to their involvement in the Olympic Games

Meanwhile, Villas-Boas will step up his quest to strengthen the Tottenham squad this week.

The club are considering resurrecting their attempts to sign long-term target Leandro Damiao as they continue to be frustrated in their move to sign Emirates Marketing Project striker Emmanuel Adebayor on a permanent deal.

Fulham forward Moussa Dembele is also interesting Villas-Boas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2184633/Tottenham-boss-Andre-Villas-Boas-FIVE-door.html

The original JJetset @jetsetyid
Great story in the Daily fail today. I think they have got basically everything WRONG!!! #numpties

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Liverpool have told Emirates Marketing Project that defender Daniel Agger, 27, will cost at least £22m after City made an informal inquiry for the Dane.

Full story: The Guardian

Juventus are interested in Liverpool's Luis Suarez as they fear that Robin van Persie will decide not to join them.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Santi Cazorla's move from Malaga to Arsenal has not been officially announced, but the midfielder is already training with Arsene Wenger's squad at a camp in Germany.
Lucas Moura

PSG are said to be in pole position to sign Moura

Full story: Daily Mail

Lucas Moura is said to be favouring a move to Paris St Germain rather than Manchester United, with the 19-year-old rumoured to consider Manchester "boring".

Full story: talkSPORT

Inter Milan chairman Massimo Moratti claims his club are out of the running for Moura because PSG have already made Sao Paulo a huge offer to sign him.

Full story: insidefutbol.com

Jack Sullivan, son of West Ham joint-chairman David, has said on Twitter that the club's interest in Liverpool striker Andy Carroll is over.

Cardiff City are keen to sign Craig Bellamy from Liverpool, although Mark Hughes would like to add the Welshman to his QPR squad.

Craig Bellamy

Bellamy could return to Cardiff, where he spent a season on loan

Bologna are demanding a fee in the region of £16m for Gaston Ramirez, 21, a target for Liverpool and Tottenham. Inter Milan are also said to be looking at the Uruguayan playmaker.

Full story: talkSPORT

Liverpool are set for further talks with Swansea City over midfielder Joe Allen now that the 22-year-old's involvement at the Olympics is over.

Full story: Metro

Stoke City are in talks to sign Polish international left-back Sebastian Boenisch, 25, who is available after his contract with Werder Bremen expired.

OTHER GOSSIP

Ravel Morrison, now on loan at Birmingham City, was flown home from West Ham's pre-season tour because he needed to have seven teeth removed.

AND FINALLY

Cristiano Ronaldo says he may follow former Manchester United winger David Beckham and play in Major League Soccer in the United States later in his career.

Full story: The Sun

I spotted this when I was on that site. I love this guy and if he wants out of RM we should be jumping all over it.
Coentrao eyes Benfica return

Top class player who is streets ahead of what we have at the momemnt, although Real Madrid paid around 30m for him so

- I doubt they would take a massive loss - still young on a long contract
- I doubt Levy would make our record signing for a position which is currently 'ok', especially in view of our striker shortage
- I doubt he would want to take a step down

We shouldnt even be considering buying anyone who isnt a striker at the moment. This is where our weakness lies. In all our key pre-season games we only averaged a solitary goal per game. Roughly the same as at the end of last season. We should concentrate ALL our available resources on two top quality strikers before we even think about any other position at present.

Tottenham will step up their bid to sign Leandro Damiao this week with a formal bid worth around £15 million for the Brazilian striker.

Spurs have chased Damiao for 18 months and could finally land the 23-year-old as his club Internacional are understood to be more open to selling their star man than a year ago.

Internacional vice-president Luciano Davi has claimed that the club have not received any offers for Damiao from Spurs they but are aware that Tottenham’s interest has intensified, while Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus have also been strongly linked with moves for the Brazil international.

Damiao is currently in England playing for the Brazil national team at the Olympics and his agent, Vinicius Prates, has also been in the country and held talks over personal terms with the Londoners.

The striker has previously suggested he would rather play in Serie A than join Tottenham, but the Premier League side are ready to launch a charm offensive to persuade him to re-unite with former Internacional team-mate Sandro at White Hart Lane.

Spurs have had a representative at each of Brazil's matches during London 2012, in which the forward has scored four goals in as many games to add to his record of 70 goals in 115 appearances during his time in Porto Alegre.

New Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has approved a renewed effort to sign Damiao as he looks to add two strikers to the squad before the start of the season, with Jermain Defoe currently his only senior striker.

The move for Damiao is understood to be independent of Tottenham's ongoing attempts to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Emirates Marketing Project.

Spurs have agreed a £4m fee and £170,000-a-week wage package for the Togolese forward, who spent last season on loan at White Hart Lane, but Adebayor is in dispute with City after demanding the transfer fee be paid to him.

Tottenham are considering alternative targets to Adebayor but are still confident that the deal will go through, while Damiao is considered to fit the club's mould for prospective new signings as a young player with the potential to become a star.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/07/3291659/tottenham-to-step-up-leandro-damiao-pursuit-with-15m-bid

Are we sure he's overrated though? The man is 22 years old and leading the line for Brazil. His hold-up game has improved by leaps and bounds, and he has always been a class finisher. He is incredibly strong and has surprising mobility for a man of his size. Sure he is not rapid, but not too many strikers of his size are, and he has HUGE potential.

I went to Brazil's quarter final against Honduras on Saturday and paid special attention to Damaio. Granted this was against lower opposition but he was basically Brazil's best player. His movement is good, he has pace - not blinding but still quick. I don't think he's particularly big but he wins his fair share in the air. He is more likely to flick the ball on than bring it down on his chest - though this may have been the team tactic. He is very strong. His finishing is good though he did miss when clean through. He also has very good vision for spotting other players making runs and sent a couple clear after receiving the ball and turning - Sheringham-esque in fact. Pretty much agree with your assessment and he stood out enough for me to see that he's worth the hype.

@BFairthorne: #Modric #Madrid deal still likely to happen, but one team needs to give a little. #Spurs

Do we F**k!!... Squeeze em for every penny

I went to Brazil's quarter final against Honduras on Saturday and paid special attention to Damaio. Granted this was against lower opposition but he was basically Brazil's best player. His movement is good, he has pace - not blinding but still quick. I don't think he's particularly big but he wins his fair share in the air. He is more likely to flick the ball on than bring it down on his chest - though this may have been the team tactic. He is very strong. His finishing is good though he did miss when clean through. He also has very good vision for spotting other players making runs and sent a couple clear after receiving the ball and turning - Sheringham-esque in fact. Pretty much agree with your assessment and he stood out enough for me to see that he's worth the hype.

Good write-up (should ask AVB for a role!)

We should also be able to see him in action again tonight as they play in the Semi's

Last edited:
if that roumour is true then gallas being identified as someone to leave is atrocious.

he's our best and most versatile defender

I agree - he is also a "wise old head" which can be hugely valuable. Of our defenders I would have thought Dawson would be the one to be dropped, being the least versatile and least suited to a high line.

Im also very surprised at the idea of Naughton being sold. He seems the most natural back up to Walker and can do a credible job at LB

Greg Stobart @gstobart
As I wrote in my piece, Spurs bid for Leandro Damiao is independent of ongoing Adebayor saga
Agents who brokered Sandro's move to #THFC have offices in Porto Alegre are also involved in the Leandro deal
A few have said that it will take more than £15m to sign Leandro Damiao. Probably right but it's a good offer & clubs will negotiate

We shouldnt even be considering buying anyone who isnt a striker at the moment. This is where our weakness lies. In all our key pre-season games we only averaged a solitary goal per game. Roughly the same as at the end of last season. We should concentrate ALL our available resources on two top quality strikers before we even think about any other position at present.

One of the most ridiculous things I have read on here in a long time, believe me, on here, that Is some feat.

As soon as it is clear to other clubs that Internacional are prepared to let Damaio leave, plenty of other richer and, to LD, more attractive clubs will be in for him. Unless he is absolutely best mates with Sandro (and/or Gomes) I don't see any way he will come here.

Be disappointed to see Gallas leave. Don't think Dawson is suited to playing a high line, and Verts looks suspiciously ponderous too. Bit worried about our ability to defend the ball over the top - predict Walker will be doing a lot of running this season covering for the CB .

@BFairthorne: #Modric #Madrid deal still likely to happen, but one team needs to give a little. #Spurs

Do we F**k!!... Squeeze em for every penny

:ross: get f*cked - like we're being out of order for protecting ourselves when losing one of our STAR PLAYERS, ffs.

Back