• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yet in the 18 months since we have been unable to cough up the money to buy anybody. Funny how those alleged bids were made in the couple of days of that transfer window. Aguero is on over £150K a week. I do not believe Levy would have been willing to cough up those kind of wages

There's a difference between not signing players and not having the money to sign them though. Like you alluded to with Augero we have the money to bid big but then don't want to pay the wages that come with players of stature that cost the big bucks...

I don't think those bids ever happened. Would be interesting to know who planted the story.

Weren't they on deadline day? Would make them being fabricated plausible I guess. Either way, I do think we have the money to spend big for the right player who fits our criteria. But that's just my hunch, absolutely nothing to base my opinion on.....

We can spend if we want, you don't need to have the exact amount in cash laying around. It's about finding the right player where the total financial package makes business sense.

akqayid @akqayid

In Gooner news. Not that I give a flying fudge... RvP took a massive step closer to Utd. Think Stretford has agreed wages now

There's a difference between not signing players and not having the money to sign them though. Like you alluded to with Augero we have the money to bid big but then don't want to pay the wages that come with players of stature that cost the big bucks...

But 18 months is pretty pathetic considering how desperate we are

We can spend if we want, you don't need to have the exact amount in cash laying around. It's about finding the right player where the total financial package makes business sense.

Then how come it takes us so long to find the right player, it has been a while?

I don't think we've been that desperate, unless it was an exceptional player ot deal. We had strikers we needed to sell first.

It's actually probably the case that Aguero wasn't on massive wages at Athletico. It was his first European club since leaving Argentina wasn't it? I think Emirates Marketing Project probably just brought him into line with their wage structure - if u think he's gonna be a starting player for you you give him that salary. I also think that Rossi was / is on a relatively affordable wage - he went from a Man U reseve and has only had a couple of moves. Villareal aren't a club that pays massive wages. Also, a Spanish journo on talksport was talking about Chelsea and FFP rules, he shot down suggestions that Juan Mata was a massive purchase he said in Spain it was reported he was on v low wages at Valencia. Basically what I'm saying is that it's possible we went for these players as the all-in financial commitment to sign them would probably be within our means taking fees and wages into account. We just got trumped and outbid or just failed to get the deals over thevline in time

But 18 months is pretty pathetic considering how desperate we are

We've always had good strikers with some very good strengths but also glaring flaws...You could even include Ade in that. I know they've all been heavily criticised in certain quarters but say what you want Defoe,Crouch,Pav are all international quality strikers.

To upgrade from this you're looking to go into the top bracket of striker, and they are both very expensive, and at a premium. There's no point signing players for the sake of it. It's been a struggle to get these coveted strikers in that's for sure...

Bentley hitting the road? Fulham renew their interest in Spurs midfielder

The England international is fit after a long knee injury lay-off and could move across London either on loan or permanently

Fulham boss Martin Jol is keen to sign Tottenham winger David Bentley.

The former England international, 27, is anxious to get back to playing regularly and kick-start his career after a lengthy lay-off because of a knee injury suffered while on loan at West Ham last season.

Tottenham may be willing to loan him out or sell, with QPR also interested.

Fulham, who are facing losing goal-scoring midfielder Clint Dempsey, are looking for a wide player and were linked with Bentley earlier in the summer.

Bentley nearly moved to Major League Soccer to help him get back into shape, but is now over his knee problem.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-transfers-david-bentley-could-1228058

It's actually probably the case that Aguero wasn't on massive wages at Athletico. It was his first European club since leaving Argentina wasn't it? I think Emirates Marketing Project probably just brought him into line with their wage structure - if u think he's gonna be a starting player for you you give him that salary. I also think that Rossi was / is on a relatively affordable wage - he went from a Man U reseve and has only had a couple of moves. Villareal aren't a club that pays massive wages.

What Aguero was on is irrelevant, in this day and age when a footballer moves for £38 million pounds his agent will ensure he gets a wage commensurate with that transfer. As for Rossi if he had moved for a similar amount his agent would have ensured the same.

One of very few players who could be considered as an upgrade on Benny. I'm sure Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal would all be ahead of us though.

I am inclined to disagree simply because when I have seen him play he looks good going forward but very suspect defensively

Back