• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No way. He started the season playing off the striker but about 7 games in Jol switched him to a deeper central role alongside Murphy and he didn't look back since.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17973106
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17885305

That was just a couple of last games. To be fair I think he used him in both roles a fair bit. Was a number of games where Murphy was out so he either played Dempsey or Dembele there. Quite often it was Frei, Duff or Ruiz out wide.

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
Sky Sports understands Saudi Sportswashing Machine have made a bid to sign Andy Carroll on a season-long loan with an option to buy.

when does it ever work like that though.....clubs generally sell their best players for huge sums and try to replace them with cheaper options

Understood. But often that is because the club want to sell or are happy to sell for a good price or are looking to turn a profit on the player - we aren't trying to sell him, he is demanding to leave and we kept him for a full year and now enough is enough and really he has to go... so if we just use the entire fund on his replacement, and that replacement is just as good... we are no further forward or backward which would be ideal really.

I don't think we can always win in EVERY deal - sometimes you need to pay what you need to pay - and sometimes you strike a bargain - but you can't do it EVERY time.

We should just do both deals, Modric out, Moutinho in - and go to America with pretty much the full squad (with Adebayor)

By the way I really like Dembele. I need to see him in a CM position more regularly to be convinced of him there. I just know from his tendencies to be quite selfish a lot of times, that it may hamper our style of play a little where Luka was very much a give and go player. Anyway, you know me, I can be easily convinced

Cristiano Ronaldo will NOT be extending his contract at Real Madrid, which expires in 2015. (Al Jazeera)

Ok but the difference is that your suggesting one of Parker or Sandro with Sig and VdV, whereas Dembele was partnered with two proper CMs in Murphy and Diarra, so he had loads more protection.

Murphy might be a proper CM but he was on his last legs and could barely move let alone run. Diarra too isn't the most energetic player nowadays either so it's clear to me that he'd have far more protection with us (I wouldn't partner him with VDV).

The only reservation i have is with Murphy and Diarra he was the one with the most attacking responsibility whereas with us it would be Sigurddson so we're not sure how he'd do.

I'd take any reports claiming that we're no longer interested in Moutinho with a large pinch of salt.

I'd be surprised if either we or the player gave up so easily. And I'd be surprised if there isn't still a deal to be done.

This.

As long was we get Moutinho for £10m less than Modric, then all is good. £24m (€30m) Moutinho, £35m (€45m) Modric or something.

If that happens will have swapped Corluka/Krancjar/Modric for Sig/Verts/Ade/Moutinho with zero net spend.

We can then use the Defoe/Pienaar/Gio/Bentley/Jenas money to fund Lloris and a back-up striker.

Murphy might be a proper CM but he was on his last legs and could barely move let alone run. Diarra too isn't the most energetic player nowadays either so it's clear to me that he'd have far more protection with us (I wouldn't partner him with VDV).

The only reservation i have is with Murphy and Diarra he was the one with the most attacking responsibility whereas with us it would be Sigurddson so we're not sure how he'd do.

Ahh ok... so would you use VdV as one of the front 3 still? Would you prefer Dembele to VdV in that role? I think Moutinho would be much more beneficial to us, but I still think Dembele could be a fantastic acquisition for us too.

If we can't sign Moutinho or Sahin then Hudd is worth a shot I think.

I like Cabaye too. Moves the ball well, good shot and sound defensively.

Big fan of Dembele too but he is not close to the same level player as Modric. Worth a punt though if all else fails.

Back