• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeh mate i'm convinced he can with 2 runners like Sigurddson and Parker/Sandro next to him. He's done it with Holland with a midfield of Sneijder and Van Bommel/De Jong which is far more attacking and less energetic than ours imo (Sigurddson is far superior defensively than Sneijder and Parker/Sandro is equal to De Jong but more energetic than mvb).

----------------------------Sandro/Parker----------------------------

---------------------------------------------VDV-----------------------

-------------------------Sigurddson------------------------------------

anyway i still hope we buy a Modric replacement obviously but wouldn't be at disappointed if we line up with those 3 come the start of the season.

I'm yet to be convinced of this too. It's off the ball I worry. It's not that he doesn't work hard. He runs a lot. But I don't think he is particularly clued up positionally to play that CM role. For the dutch against quality opposition in Portugal, whilst he scored, he left De Jong horribly exposed time after time. He's nowhere near as effective as Luka in that role. However his goal threat as we all know would be far greater.

Hang on a minute guys - imagine if there was an identical player to Modric, called Modrat. Cloned at birth.

If we sell Modric for £35m, surely it would be absolutely fine to buy Modrat for the same £35m as you are just replacing him like for like.

Therefore if we believe the replacement is as good as the original, we should be willing to reinvest the full amount we get in, like for like.

If AVB really believes Moutinho is the heartbeat of the new Spurs, has great international experience, is a winner, maybe we should just invest in the guy and not worry about how much we "make" from the deal to swap Modric for Moutinho

Hang on a minute guys - imagine if there was an identical player to Modric, called Modrat. Cloned at birth.

If we sell Modric for £35m, surely it would be absolutely fine to buy Modrat for the same £35m as you are just replacing him like for like.

Therefore if we believe the replacement is as good as the original, we should be willing to reinvest the full amount we get in, like for like.

If AVB really believes Moutinho is the heartbeat of the new Spurs, has great international experience, is a winner, maybe we should just invest in the guy and not worry about how much we "make" from the deal to swap Modric for Moutinho

I can understand this line of thinking too. Ideally we would have preferred not to have sold Luka. It's a simple question is Modric much better than Moutinho?

Fulham have signed 16-year-old Moussa Dembele on a 3-year deal from PSG. They now have 2 Moussa Dembele’s. #FFC -- BackPage. (@BackPage)

Except VDV is usually among top in distance covered.

So? He'd be left chasing shadows, as if we're not already easily overrun in that area. Let him drift about and effect things in the final third which is what he's good at. I think it's amazing how people think #10's can play Luka's role.

Last season he played CM for Fulham. Jol gave him a deeper role and transformed him into a CM playmaker to great effect, he was immense.

I always thought he was still more advanced. So it would be:

Duff------Diarra--------Murphy-------Dempsey
------------Dembele -------------------------
-------------------Pogrebnyak----------------

I'm pretty certain that was how most games were

So? He'd be left chasing shadows, as if we're not already easily overrun in that area. Let him drift about and effect things in the final third which is what he's good at. I think it's amazing how people think #10's can play Luka's role.

Your point was that he can't run, which isn't true. A lot of his running isn't very productive though. Very similar to Rooney in that extent. If he was more disciplined he could easily play in midfield.

I always thought he was still more advanced. So it would be:

Duff------Diarra--------Murphy-------Dempsey
------------Dembele -------------------------
-------------------Pogrebnyak----------------

I'm pretty certain that was how most games were

No way. He started the season playing off the striker but about 7 games in Jol switched him to a deeper central role alongside Murphy and he didn't look back since.

And, upon the sale of Modric, money in the bank

You think perhaps he might have learnt a lesson there - skimping on Frazer Campbell and Zokora did us a whole world of good didnt it?

He has brought in a new manager, backed him in the market so far - if AVB says Moutinho is the man, and we have the money, then we damn well better get Moutinho. Skrimping at this point fudges the whole situation

i dont know about learning lessons, and im sure Levy didnt fcuk up before on purpose by skimping, but i just cannot see him paying 31 mill for Moutinho if he gets 35 mill for Modric. 1) Moutinho isnt worth 31 mll...2) We still need money to strengthen the front line

he has backed AVB so far by spnding 8 mill on Vert, 7 mill on Sigurdsson, and 6 mill on Ade(when the deal is done)....good players but for affordable prices. Thats Levy's way

when does it ever work like that though.....clubs generally sell their best players for huge sums and try to replace them with cheaper options

i dont know about learning lessons, and im sure Levy didnt fcuk up before on purpose by skimping, but i just cannot see him paying 31 mill for Moutinho if he gets 35 mill for Modric. 1) Moutinho isnt worth 31 mll...2) We still need money to strengthen the front line

he has backed AVB so far by spnding 8 mill on Vert, 7 mill on Sigurdsson, and 6 mill on Ade(when the deal is done)....good players but for affordable prices. Thats Levy's way

Levy has a new manager.

He has given him the reigns to take us to the next level, agreed upon "the project"

He is making some very schrewd moves, bargain buys for sure, perhaps to allow for some spending?

Either way - if he doesnt back his new manager now the guy will fail. Its that simple. He needs to fullfil his promise of support.

And ultimately, if we get Moutinho and a few million for Modric (effectively) then we are still "up" and doing fine financially.

All that said, genuinely I cannot imagine Moutinho going for £30m+.

Back