• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1. He's a thick ****
2. His agent have probably told him he should be paid a lot more than he is right now. If Arsenal don't give him a massive payrise he might see out his contract.

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
Brazilian club Santos say they have been offered Florent Malouda but are 'scared' of his wage demands

I'd take any reports claiming that we're no longer interested in Moutinho with a large pinch of salt.

I'd be surprised if either we or the player gave up so easily. And I'd be surprised if there isn't still a deal to be done.

I'd take any reports claiming that we're no longer interested in Moutinho with a large pinch of salt.

I'd be surprised if either we or the player gave up so easily. And I'd be surprised if there isn't still a deal to be done.

total_gambler_1877_15.jpg

I think the hold up of modric going to Real is that we are trying to tie up Moutinho at the same time. I dont think Levy wants another Berba situation happening and Levy will also be wary that if we were to get rid of Modric someone like Moutinho a high profile signing has to be the replacement.

if they dont budge with the 31 mill price tag then its no deal imo

Porto do not sell their players cheaply....imagine, they sold Ferraira to chelsea, 8 years ago, for 14 mill, Bosingwa for 18 mill a few years ago, 20 mill for Anderson to United 5 years ago. I could go on and on. Those players were never worth that amount, but Porto dont care. They get top dollar for their talent

same with manager. They didnt budge over AVB's 13 mill release clause a year ago.

the Porto board must have gone to the same negotiating school as Levy

Originally Posted by indianspur

Porto do not sell their players cheaply....imagine, they sold Ferraira to chelsea, 8 years ago, for 14 mill, Bosingwa for 18 mill a few years ago, 20 mill for Anderson to United 5 years ago. I could go on and on. Those players were never worth that amount, but Porto dont care. They get top dollar for their talent

same with manager. They didnt budge over AVB's 13 mill release clause a year ago.

It all depends upon how important AVB believes the signing of Moutinho to be. It is perfectly apparent that Levy is doing all that he possibly can to support his new head coach.

If, say, Spurs get £35 million plus add ons (or a player) for Modric, and if AVB sees Moutinho as central to his plans, then Levy can justify paying £30 million. He will have got a younger replacement while adding further funds to the kitty. Sure, Moutinho's not exactly the same kind of player as Modric. Not as dangerous going forward, perhaps. But he's still a fine player who does have some qualities that Modric lacks.

Crucially, there are two further things about Moutinho which could make him at least as valuable to Spurs as Modric currently is:

a) He knows AVB and has excelled in the type of formation and playing style that AVB will adopt.
b) He really wants to play for AVB again, at Spurs.

So even if Porto do dig their heels in (though I suspect that there is probably a little wriggle room), I believe that the Moutinho deal could still be done. Perhaps a compromise can be reached in terms of the staging of payments, with Spurs spreading the cost over five years or so? That way, both parties could be satisfied.

Last edited:
If Moutinho and Sahin are both not happening i wonder who we're going to target...

Not many like for like replacements, depends a bit on what we're looking for in the player

Yann M'Vila, Bruno Soriano
Beñat Etxebarria, Kevin Strootman, Ganso, Michael Carrick
Jordy Clasie, Yohan Cabaye

Not many like for like replacements, depends a bit on what we're looking for in the player

Yann M'Vila, Bruno Soriano
Beñat Etxebarria, Kevin Strootman, Ganso, Michael Carrick
Jordy Clasie, Yohan Cabaye

Perfect. Not the same style, but arguably an improvement.

[video=youtube;RxXfeSrNj-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXfeSrNj-g[/video]

Other than that, I'd also mention Borja Valero and Javi Martinez as possibilities, the latter less so than the former though. Marvin Martin would have been a good repalcement as well, but he's just moved to Lille. Other than those guys, not many others come to mind. Joe Allen, maybe. Moussa Sissoko, possibly, although his development's stalled somewhat. Mathieu Valbuena, again, maybe, though he woudn't be playing his natural No.10 position.

Indeed, Atletico Madrid had to cough up 35 mill pounds for Falcao and the only reason Chelsea did not get Hulk last season was because they refused to budge on their asking price. Yep, looks like Levy may have met his match

Back