• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i do find it strange though that we're seemingly ditching our wage structure - anyone know how much extra the new tv deal nets us ? maybe it's down to that, that we think we can up one or two players wages ?

also if he was going to be pumping in loads of cash surely we'd be giving Modric a 100k contract and getting him to stay

Pretty sure a £100k a week wouldn't be enough to keep Luka from leaving.

i do find it strange though that we're seemingly ditching our wage structure - anyone know how much extra the new tv deal nets us ? maybe it's down to that, that we think we can up one or two players wages ?

also if he was going to be pumping in loads of cash surely we'd be giving Modric a 100k contract and getting him to stay

The wage structure has long been misunderstood and misreported, IMO. I don't believe that we've ever had a predetermined top wage. We've only ever had a maximum wage budget within which we have to accommodate all the players and coaching staff. Then it's just a matter of dividing that figure up in a manner which recognizes that some players are more valuable than others but which doesn't lead to too great a disparity, thereby fostering resentment.

Over the past few seasons, we've reduced the number of players on our books considerably, I believe. We've also increased revenues. So there should be latitude to offer more lucrative wage deals.

I think its as much a case of ditching Jenas, bentley, Pienaar type squad players on big (ish) money who provide no worth allows us to spend more on players we DO want.

Also, while Im sure Bale is on big bucks I doubt Vertonghen and Sigurdsson are huge earners, and Im not even sure Moutinho would be (what is money like in Portugal?)

If we can balance the squad toward the youth more then I suspect the wage bill will reduce on average, allowing us room within our usual boundaries to pay higher amounts to select players

Within reason, I don't think it's about money for Modders. He wants to win things. He wants to play in the Champions League.

i agree with Modric wanting to win things - my point was more that if we were pumping in loads of money like that gooner blog suggests (which i don't agree with) then a new bumper contract plus heavy investment in the team may persuade him to stay - the blog seemed to suggest we'd be a new Chelsea/City but still be selling our best player - doesn't stack up

i agree with Modric wanting to win things - my point was more that if we were pumping in loads of money like that gooner blog suggests (which i don't agree with) then a new bumper contract plus heavy investment in the team may persuade him to stay - the blog seemed to suggest we'd be a new Chelsea/City but still be selling our best player - doesn't stack up

I would love him to stay, and i hope we can persuade him to do just that.

Even if we were now as rich as Croesus, Real Madrid would still be a huge draw for any of our players.

A part of me believes we're not selling Modric - not sure why but I think he plays another season here.

I'd love to have him for another year too but the only way that will happen is if nobody meet Levy's valuation. He's on the market. I guess it could happen but I give it only a 10% chance he'll be here at the end of the window.

Anybody else see the Benzema to Spurs teletext (linked to the Modric deal). That's even more unlikely.

Even if we were now as rich as Croesus, Real Madrid would still be a huge draw for any of our players.

of course - i just don't see the article being in any way correct, so it's all hypothetical but with that financial backing we'd be in a good position not to have to cave in to a player wanting out as the transfer fee/ player running down his contract would have less of an impact compared to if we didn't have the backing - like last season for example when we still held firm on the matter

Football_Juice
Rumour: Jermaine Jenas is in talks with Nottingham Forrest over a potential move to the club.

I happy to see him go
I just can't seem to generate any ill will towards him. He played hard for us last season even though he had wanted to move - not for $$$ but for ambition. You have to respect that - even if it means they want to leave us.

I just can't seem to generate any ill will towards him. He played hard for us last season even though he had wanted to move - not for $$$ but for ambition. You have to respect that - even if it means they want to leave us.

Agreed.

Please buy a replacement for Lennon, He offers no goal threat and His decision making is terribe.
Buy Remy or Adrian to play on the right of the front 3 with Ade central and Bale on the left.

Middle 2 of Sandro and Moutinho and allow Sigurdsson freedom and Sell VDV and buy a striker from the sale funds.

Bale you're reknowned for being utterly mental on these forums. Do you purposefully say ridiculous things are do you genuinely believe them?

Why do you want to get rid of any cover whatsoever?! Okay, sigurdsson is the AM but sell VDV, so who plays there when Sig can't play? Same with RW?

Back