• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I doubt we have offered Gylfi more than 40-45k a week, thing is that Liverpool fans/club cant accept that he may simply prefer to join Spurs for footballing reasons

He no doubts enjoys working with Rodgers, but somehow Rodgers seems to have disappeared from the two previous clubs they have been together and after a short time too. Rodgers was sacked at Reading after a few months, and left Swansea after 6 months of Gylfi being there. Who really knows how long Rodgers will be at Liverpool, could all go tits up quickly and he might be out the door in no time and Gylfi will be left wondering what a mistake he made

So what if Gylfi has looked at both clubs, the players, listened to the plans for the future from each, and has decided that he likes Tottenham's overall proposal more??? sounds sensible to me

We're not really among the big boys - Liverpool can't compete with the big boys hence their extremely average signings. When we can mix it with Chelsea, City etc that's a different matter altogether!

Spurs winning Sigurdsson race

Tottenham appear favourites for Icelandic star's signature

Last Updated: June 26, 2012 7:01pm

Sigurdsson spent the latter half of last season on loan with the Swans from Bundesliga side Hoffenheim and appeared set to complete a permanent deal this summer.

But the situation was complicated when Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers took over at Anfield last month, sparking interest from the Reds.

Spurs could now snatch the youngster from under the noses of their Premier League rivals.

German newspaper Bild claims the managerless North Londoners have lined up an ?8million deal for the 22-year-old Iceland international.

The former Reading midfielder scored seven goals in 19 games for Swansea last term and was named the Premier League player of the month for March.

Deadline

Hoffenheim have given Sigurdsson until Saturday to secure a move to England having allowed him extended leave after they returned to pre-season training just over a week ago.

Swansea thought they had secured the player on a permanent basis after agreeing a club-record ?6.8million fee soon after the end of the season but before Sigurdsson could complete a medical their manager was lured to Liverpool.

Rodgers admitted he would be interested in signing the midfielder for the Reds but stressed the player had to first speak to new Swansea boss Michael Laudrup.

When the prospect of him moving to the Liberty Stadium having diminished it seemed Anfield would be his next stopping place but now it could be White Hart Lane.

Last week Hoffenheim coach Markus Babbel, himself a former Liverpool player, said of Sigurdsson's planned move: "If, by the deadline on June 30, he has done nothing then he will return to his pre-season with us.

"We have agreed this with him."

Sigurdsson is contracted to Hoffenheim for another two years but despite impressing in his first campaign in 2010/11 he dropped down the pecking order last season, forcing his loan to Swansea.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7843350/Spurs-winning-Sigurdsson-race

Ivanovic urges Modric move

Blues defender calls on Croatian playmaker to make summer switch

By Jure Bohoric. Last Updated: June 27, 2012 5:53am

The Blues spent much of last summer courting the Croatia international, with big-money bids put to capital rivals Spurs.

They were ultimately left empty-handed, with Tottenham reluctant to part with a player tied to a long-term contract and considered to be a key figure in their future plans.

It is, however, being suggested that Chelsea may be ready to test their resolve once more, while Manchester United have also been mentioned as long-standing admirers.

Ivanovic feels that the time is right for one of European football's top creative talents to test himself on a grander stage and has urged Modric to link up with the current holders of the UEFA Champions League crown.

Great player

"Chelsea need a player like him," the Serbian defender told Sportske Novosti.

"He is a really great player and wouldn't need long to adapt to a new club.

"He has been playing in England for a while now, he knows the Premier League, he has the right mentality and knows how to play on the level required at Chelsea.

"I'm sure that he needs something new in his career. He needs to move to a bigger club.

"I believe at Chelsea he would become an even better player. I urge him to come to Chelsea - he won't regret it."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7842486/Ivanovic-urges-Modric-move

i wasnt under the impression that sigurdsson was anywhere near a winger OR a centre forward?

why havent people addressed this? is Glen right about that? does sigurdsson primarily play on the wing? if so he's a slow one and that means that we are playing some sort of wonky

Dembele's faster and stronger. Sigurdsson's far more lethal in front of goal, and is better at set-pieces. They're both quite good.

Overall, though, I'd have Dembele just because at a pinch he could cover up front. Doesn't mean I'm not happy about the potential Siggy signing, though, I loved the fella last season.

why do you think siggy is more lethal?

Sigurdsson on the wing? well besides the fact that he rarely if ever plays that role, besides the fact that his main strength being his runs centrally, despite the fact he's not particularly fast..yeh why not FFS:rolleyes:

Ive seen Sigurdson roam wide during games a lot, but then Swaneas formation allowed for that freedom.

I would say though he is certainly a central player in the main, but can go wide to create space or put a cross in.

He isnt a "wide player" at all though.

presumably his 7 goals in 19 games for Swansea compared to Dembele's 2 in 45 for Fulham.
i thought that might be it.

siggy played in the support striker position..../ tip of the diamond, dembele played in the CM position i thought?

siggy also took their set pieces , dembele didnt for fulham. then there is the system that swansea played versus fulhams style......i dont know. stick dembele on the tip of the diamond or as a support striker in rodgers system where he as absolute license to roam into that box...i think he gets alot more than just 2 goals

i wasnt under the impression that sigurdsson was anywhere near a winger OR a centre forward?

why havent people addressed this? is Glen right about that? does sigurdsson primarily play on the wing? if so he's a slow one and that means that we are playing some sort of wonky

I'll see your 'Wonky Winger' and raise you a 'Sweeper Keeper'?

i thought that might be it.

siggy played in the support striker position..../ tip of the diamond, dembele played in the CM position i thought?

siggy also took their set pieces , dembele didnt for fulham. then there is the system that swansea played versus fulhams style......i dont know. stick dembele on the tip of the diamond or as a support striker in rodgers system where he as absolute license to roam into that box...i think he gets alot more than just 2 goals

But that was the comparison, Sigurdsson and Dembele. The rest doesn't matter. Ifs and maybes. The set pieces part is a very strong asset, something we definitely lack.

I think this means the end of Rafa to be honest. 2 years left on his contract, so we can either get a decent fee for him now rather than lose him for free in 2 years time. Actually keeping him for another 2 years and letting him go may be not the worst thing, since he would hit his 30s and not command a massive fee anyway, but his performances would decline and injuries would stack up.

This is us getting Siggy in to replace Rafa, with Siggy's best years ahead of him, and we'll probably be able to turn a profit on the dealing too. Siggy replaces the goals from midfield, and also fits into a 4-3-3 that are likely to play. If it's AVB, Rafa doesn't really have the pace to play in the front 3, and doesn't suit the midfield.

Gonna be an interesting summer for the new man. The club will likely be letting Rafa and Modric go. Good replacements will be needed. I think Siggy and Sahin would be great business actually, and the Modric money would allow us to strengthen other areas too.

Back