• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Didn't know where to put this but if anyone remembers a young footballer called Miki Roque (used to be on Liverpools books). He died the other day due to cancer, only 23.

I always thought Emirates Marketing Project signing the likes of Nasri/Clichy were more attempts to undermine a close rival in Arsenal than in actually valuing the players themselves (as seen by fairly average performances throughout the season by both)

Could this be Spurs identifying us as a key rival for next season and attempting to scupper our early transfers plans? It's an awful lot of money to place on doing so, and Spurs aren't city, but we know they have very solid financial backing

Ian McGarry ‏@garbosj
RVP contract of ?225k per week with #MCFC was agreed in March. The fee to #AFC is the only part of deal outstanding.

But one of Lambert’s other targets could be more difficult to secure after Spurs have stunned Villa by slapping a ?6million price tag on right-back Kyle Naughton.

Lambert wants two new full-backs and hopes to offload Alan Hutton. He worked with Naughton last season at Norwich where he was on loan.

But his hopes of bringing Naughton to Villa Park have been hit by his massive asking price.

Nottingham Forest right-back Chris Gunter is now being considered as a cheaper option.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-cant-afford-spurs-941343

I like the Luka you! Ivanovic urges Modric to move to Chelsea but Spurs want to swap him for two Madrid stars

Could Ricardo Carvalho and Turkish midfielder Nuri Sahin be on their way to the Lane?

Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic has urged Luka Modric to join him at Stamford Bridge.

Spurs and Croatia playmaker Modric has Europe’s top clubs fighting for his signature.

But Chelsea’s Serbian right-back has told 26-year-old Modric he should turn his back on the Manchester clubs and Real Madrid to sign for Roberto Di Matteo’s Champions League winners.

Ivanovic said: “I think at Chelsea he would adapt instantly and become a better player.

“He should come to Chelsea - it won’t go wrong!”

Croatia were eliminated from Euro 2012 by Spain and Italy, but Modric impressed and his stock is rising.

But Ivanovic insists Modric should stay in England. He added: “Chelsea as a team have needed a player with these qualities. He would fit in quickly and strengthen the squad.

“He has been in England a long time and knows about the way football is played on the island and the mentality of the players.

“He has exceptional quality, and moving to a bigger club is necessary for him to take the next step in his career.”

As reported on MirrorfFootball last week, Modric has made it clear to Tottenham chiefs he finally wants out of the club this summer .

Spurs appear to have hijacked Liverpool’s move for Hoffenhem midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson as a replacement.

Spurs are believed to have told the Madrid they want defender Ricardo Carvalho - surplus to requirements at the Bernebeu - and 23-year-old Turkish midfielder Nuri Sahin in exchange for Modric

And Modric’s Croatia team-mate Dario Srna reckons Modric would be a hit in Spain and could win the prestigious Ballon D’or award given to the best player in Europe if he went there.

Srna said: “”Modric is a great friend of mine and an outstanding football player.

“I know that Manchester United and Chelsea want him, but playing in Spain would allow for further development of his talent and I believe that he could win the Ballon d’Or.

“In the Spanish league he could be much brighter, because in England it is a more physical game and it is difficult for his features to come out.”

In a stinging sideswipe at Modric’s current club, Srna added: “I respect that Tottenham have excellent players, but they are never going to win the Premier League.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/branislav-ivanovic-has-told-luka-modric-941337

Good to see the 'Let's unsettle Modric' train back on track.

But one of Lambert’s other targets could be more difficult to secure after Spurs have stunned Villa by slapping a ?6million price tag on right-back Kyle Naughton.

Lambert wants two new full-backs and hopes to offload Alan Hutton. He worked with Naughton last season at Norwich where he was on loan.

But his hopes of bringing Naughton to Villa Park have been hit by his massive asking price.

Nottingham Forest right-back Chris Gunter is now being considered as a cheaper option.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-cant-afford-spurs-941343

If there's any truth in the story, ?6 million is hardly a massive price to ask, given that we paid ?4 million for him and he has since matured as a Premier League player.

To the tune of 'Ebeneezer Goode'

Si-gurd-son, Si-gurd-son
He's Gylfi Sigurdsson

I tried to get that started with Tommy Huddlestone a while back, never caught on though. You know that Sigurdsson will be the Van Der Vaart "na na na na na na na na na, Gyulfi Sigurdsson", same brick different player.

Gotta say I'm very pleased with this signing. The first time I saw him play was when he came on as a substitute against Arsenal in January and absolutely ran the show, setting up Swansea's winner. I was impressed by his first touch, ball control and the accuracy of his passing. I instantly put him in my fantasy league team, which earned me a ridiculous amount of points as he kept on scoring goals. He can shoot from distance with two feet, which is something I really appreciate considering the number of one-footed players we have had in our team over the years. He has shown an eagerness to take responsibility with penalties, free-kicks and corners from a young age and at only 22 (4 years younger than Modric, 3 younger than Huddlestone, 1 younger than Sandro and same age as Livermore), he has the potential to get even better.

Very excited if we can pull this one off.

Breaking the Ice: Liverpool still hoping to steal Sigurdsson from under Spurs' noses

The Iceland international has yet to agree personal terms, and that has left an opening for new Reds boss Brendan Rodgers to exploit

Liverpool haven't given up hope on signing Gylfi Sigurdsson, despite being beaten to the punch by quick-acting Spurs.

The London club stole a reach march in the race to land the highly rated striker, after agreeing an ?8million fee with his club Hoffenheim.

But the Iceland international has yet to agree personal terms with Tottenham, and that has left an opening for new Reds boss Brendan Rodgers to exploit.

Sigurdsson has a close relationship with Rodgers after enjoying a lengthy loan spell under the Irishman at Swansea.

And Liverpool will hope to use that connection to persuade him to ignore Spurs' advances, despite the attractive package offered by the London club.

The 22 year old has originally agreed to sign on a permanent basis for Swansea, but that deal fell through when Rodgers took the Anfield job.

Now Spurs are strong favourites in the chase because of their spending power on wages, but Liverpool have one other weapon in their armoury.

The German club's manager is former Reds favourite Marcus Babbel, and he would be happy to see his striker switch to Anfield.

But to make that happen Liverpool will have to match the ?8million asking price, and move closer to Sigurdsson's wage demands.

Rodgers is also in the running to sign Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge, but again, the player's salary demands are a stumbling block given the desire to bring a spiraling wage bill under control at Anfield.

Spurs are also hoping to pursue talks with the England striker's agents, and if they land Sturridge it could pave the way for the Merseyside club to snap up Sigurdsson.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-hope-to-steal-gylfi-sigurdsson-941316

Hell go to Liverpool. This is quite blatant from Hoffenheim to get the price up. Let's not forget Swansea thought they had their man.

Breaking the Ice: Liverpool still hoping to steal Sigurdsson from under Spurs' noses

The Iceland international has yet to agree personal terms, and that has left an opening for new Reds boss Brendan Rodgers to exploit

Liverpool haven't given up hope on signing Gylfi Sigurdsson, despite being beaten to the punch by quick-acting Spurs.

The London club stole a reach march in the race to land the highly rated striker, after agreeing an ?8million fee with his club Hoffenheim.

But the Iceland international has yet to agree personal terms with Tottenham, and that has left an opening for new Reds boss Brendan Rodgers to exploit.

Sigurdsson has a close relationship with Rodgers after enjoying a lengthy loan spell under the Irishman at Swansea.

And Liverpool will hope to use that connection to persuade him to ignore Spurs' advances, despite the attractive package offered by the London club.

The 22 year old has originally agreed to sign on a permanent basis for Swansea, but that deal fell through when Rodgers took the Anfield job.

Now Spurs are strong favourites in the chase because of their spending power on wages, but Liverpool have one other weapon in their armoury.

The German club's manager is former Reds favourite Marcus Babbel, and he would be happy to see his striker switch to Anfield.

But to make that happen Liverpool will have to match the ?8million asking price, and move closer to Sigurdsson's wage demands.

Rodgers is also in the running to sign Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge, but again, the player's salary demands are a stumbling block given the desire to bring a spiraling wage bill under control at Anfield.

Spurs are also hoping to pursue talks with the England striker's agents, and if they land Sturridge it could pave the way for the Merseyside club to snap up Sigurdsson.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-hope-to-steal-gylfi-sigurdsson-941316

Jesus fudging Christ. How many factual/grammatical errors can you get in one article? Is that what passes for journalism these days?

I can't decide what's funnier. The idea that signing Daniel Sturridge would have anything to do with whether we sign a player in a different position or not, or that Markus Babbel being Hoffenheim manager might have anything to do with where he is sold to. This isn't Football Manager where the club's manager just turn down a bid from another club in a foreign league because he likes another one better :lol:

Last edited:
Back