• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just been thinking about it some more - if we could have got him in at the start of the summer and had time for him to train with the squad and get a few games under his belt then I'd be over the moon. Now we've played our first game of the season, it might be better for squad harmony to stick with what we have (as you say, we have good options) and progress with the season.

I wouldn't be disappointed with us signing a solid 'keeper for above our transfer record - a good 'keepers are hard to find, and they are worth their weight in gold, IMO.

Agreed, I think signing a younger GK like Butland far more likely at this point, or we will wait until next summer which is what I would wager on.

Like last season when we started with Adebayor, Defoe and Pav? And never used Pav.... and barely used Defoe....

never used Pav? didnt he start in almost every european game and league cup game?

and I think Defoe played in over 20 matches?

mad mad mad post, you did not watch matches last season?

footballaucourant @footaucourant
#Inter could save up to €20m in wages in the next few years should Julio Cesar go to #QPR

Sky Sports @SkySports
Sky Sports understands Swansea have tabled a bid for Blackpool star Tom Ince.

never used Pav? didnt he start in almost every european game and league cup game?

Totally right... but do we want to spend £20-25m on a striker who will play in the Europa League and be a sub? And will that striker want to come and have to fight for a place?

I'd pay that for an up and coming hungry young star who will make our strikers all play at the top of their game to make sure they are in the starting 11... but then again I'm not in charge of the purse strings otherwise I'd imagine we would be in League 2 if I was...

The european games were virtually thrown. They werent taken seriously at all.

Defoe played in plenty of matches, though not often for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

I watched the matches. Adebayor was our only proper striker for the system and was used exhaustively, the others practically ignored.

The young promising striker or Defoe play. We're aren't going to break our transfer record for a backup.

And score how many? Defoe as the focal point?

It's not back-up - it would one of our staring wide forwards anyway (presuming we're talking about the same player here - if not apologies)

Last edited:
I've never seen Leandro play wide as part of a front three, and from what I've seen it wouldn't suit him.

As edited above - I thought we were talking about Willian

I actually think Ade can play out wide with Leandro up-top - the former likes to drift and can be very useful in dragging defenders, opening up spaces, etc. But that wouldn't be part of a 4-3-3 so I doubt AVB would sanction it

I've never seen Leandro play wide as part of a front three, and from what I've seen it wouldn't suit him.

Yeah, I think Ade would be better than Damiao as an inside forward, but I don't think it suits either too much. Although Ade did drift wide right a fair bit last season.

As edited above - I thought we were talking about Willian

I actually think Ade can play out wide with Leandro up-top - the former likes to drift and can be very useful in dragging defenders, opening up spaces, etc. But that wouldn't be part of a 4-3-3 so I doubt AVB would sanction it

That works, in large part (imo) because Ade starts centrally and moves wide, forcing defenders to track him/hand him off which inevitably causes space and/or confusion

I doubt it would be anywhere near as effective if he were to be starting in a wider position.

That said, 442 or some vairant has proven successful with this squad so there is no harm in playing both in some situations

We have so many games, both Leandro and Ade will get more than enough game time. Leandro is best being integrated slowly anyway like Sandro was so we don't have to be overly concerned this season. There will be times when we will be chasing games and need both of them on, we need another top striker one isn't enough. Next season we will be in the Champions League so will definitely need both then :)

Back