• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Leandro is a fantastic player that I know of," said Villas-Boas of the Brazilian. "I went to see him in Brazil when I was doing nothing [during the summer]!

"He is obviously a good, good player but he is not on our prospect at the moment, because I think we are closed on what we are trying to do with the strike situation."

Asked about a reported offer being put in for Willian, Villas-Boas added: "No. He is a player I was interested in last year, an extremely talented player. I wouldn't want to go very deep because I feel it would be disrespectful for Shakhtar, which is a club I have a good relationship with.

Not committing either way.

Willian - may be

Damiao - no way

Last edited:
AVB said he didn't even know Sherwood was at the Malaga game ... must be fibbing surely.

Ha! Yes, absolutely.

Strangely, that gives me a small spark of hope that we could be seriously in for Isco.

Can't believe that we wouldn't face very, very serious competition for him, though.

Yeah and he was absolute dog brick at doing it. In theory it should work (I was all for Harry trying to accommodate him in this role) - but in practice the opposite is true. He's not good enough positionally or defensively, and lacks the discipline to play in that position, IMO.

I agree that he was not great in that role, but I think / hope he is such a good player that he could adapt to that role. But there are no guarantees that it will happen. My thought was that it would be enough with Sandro or Parker defensive job in the games when VDV playing CM.

Well wouldn't be the first time the press have mis-reported quotes. What did he say on SSN?

Basically what that article says is but I never heard him say this - "because I think we are closed on what we are trying to do with the strike situation." I think we're very much in for them.

Because AVB is playing the exact same systems his mentor did - Porto being the most successful example to date.

Chelsea made it work year back, I don't think it's impossible per se - although it's much easier with a ball playing player, granted

I disagree.

And so do the Chelsea players who thrived under Mourinho but who couldn't get properly to grips with AVB's preferred system!

So you haven't seen enough of him but you have seen enough of him to not be sure?

Exactly.

Ive seen that he looks flaky and very left sided. I have qualified this a number of times to say I havent seen enough to reach a confident judgement - all Im saying is what I have seen is more negative than positive.

Ha! Yes, absolutely.

Strangely, that gives me a small spark of hope that we could be seriously in for Isco.

Can't believe that we wouldn't face very, very serious competition for him, though.

That's what I took from it, he was very open on Damiao and Willian but as soon as they asked about Isco he stopped them before they'd even finished the question.

I disagree.

And so do the Chelsea players who thrived under Mourinho but who couldn't get properly to grips with AVB's preferred system!

To be fair - they were about 7 years older and missing some key figures in defensive midfield.

For me the fundamental blue print is the same - 4-3-3 - wide forwards, direct attacking pressing game, etc.

I would be very surprised if we spent £15m+ on a striker now we've got Ade, especially given AvB's system and the fact we have both VdV and Sig.

If anything we need a young promising striker than can replace Kane, and is happy to be a squad player for now.

That's what I took from it, he was very open on Damiao and Willian but as soon as they asked about Isco he stopped them before they'd even finished the question.

Would be a real coup if we got him - even though it's a cast iron certainty that he'd pack his bags for Real or Barca within a couple of years and we'd be their bitch.

But I'd be okay with that.

I agree that he was not great in that role, but I think / hope he is such a good player that he could adapt to that role. But there are no guarantees that it will happen. My thought was that it would be enough with Sandro or Parker defensive job in the games when VDV playing CM.
Like van Bommel in the Dutch national side?

I'd rather we sign an accomplished central midfielder to replace Modric should he go. VDV has never played in that position for a full season during his career.

I would be very surprised if we spent £15m+ on a striker now we've got Ade, especially given AvB's system and the fact we have both VdV and Sig.

If anything we need a young promising striker than can replace Kane, and is happy to be a squad player for now.

What happens if Ade is injured or suspended?

Having Adebayor as a starting striker works best for the squad as AVB won't upset too many players, and he's used to the other players. But which young strikers could we sign for reasonable money? I'm not sure if he's still available, but signing Loic Remy for foward/wing cover could be a good for the squad.

I'd really like for us to push for Lloris, should funds allow.

Would be a real coup if we got him - even though it's a cast iron certainty that he'd pack his bags for Real or Barca within a couple of years and we'd be their bitch.

But I'd be okay with that.
By which time we'd have won the league three times and be back-to-back Champions League winners - it's a price worth paying! :)

Back