• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
really? people sayin Sigg will be a better player and can replace VDV straight away? Id say thats not appreciating VDV

I think the discussion has more been about Sigurdsson possibly being better suited to AVB's preferred style of play rather than being a better player than VDV.

Tancredi Palmeri @tancredipalmeri

According to Sky Italy,Inter signed uruguayan Alvaro Pereira from Porto for 10m € + 3m linked to bonus

His release clause was around triple that!

We should have been all over at that price - they're also competing in the EL, ffs

I think straw man is a much better defintion around the CSI-like investigative skills which have been used to deduct (mostly from no quote articles) that

- he wants to go back to Germany because of his wife (massive assumption based on a Sun article, iirc)
- does not want ot fight for a spot with a younger player
- cannot last 90 minutes in a competitive game
- does not fit AVB's pressing game eventhough he has not played a single game this season as a starter

Those aren't straw man arguments.

They may or may not be flawed arguments.

They may or may not be baseless arguments.

But they are definitely not straw man arguments!

Long thread this one. Will Lean toward facts rather than rumours as well.

POTL

It means Willian, or Leandro. Or both.

buy both and get this over with

will be happy for the next 12 months

Even if we sign those two, I won't be happy if we fail to sign a Modric replacement.

Such a player is critical for us - especially if we wish to play a high energy pressing game. That only works if you spend most of your time in possession.

Even if we sign those two, I won't be happy if we fail to sign a Modric replacement.

Such a player is critical for us - especially if we wish to play a high energy pressing game. That only works if you spend most of your time in possession.

A Modric replacement won't come until he's sold IMO and it looks like it's going to the wire.

Perhaps VdV's formation would be less reliant on this type of player

Sounds like the same speculation from a few months ago. All the talking is on Hamburg's end and I don't see anything being said on our side that would suggest he's moving on.

If the Willian links are real and there's genuine interest from our side, I can see there being more impetus for VdV moving on, but it's still too early to say.

Friedel Cudicini Gomes

Walker Naughton Kaboul Vertonghen Gallas Caulker Ekotto

Sandro Parker Livermore Moutinho

Lennon Willian Sigurdsson Van Der Vaart Bale

Ade Damiao Defoe

Would love Lloris too but I guess he'll have to wait.

I would like to see VDV take over Modrics role, at least in games where we should be better than the teams we face. Especially all the home games. He has held this role in the national team on a few occasions during the European Championship qualifiers.

The contradiction was

He wouldn't cost as much in the first place and secondly - has all the ability, imv to take over Lennon position out wide

What contradiction? Stating that I am not qualified to make a full judgement, but offering what I do understand to be the case is not contradictory at all.

It was an attempt at setting the ball rolling on learning more about the player.

If we go for him I hope he is as good as you think, I sincerely do, but as yet I simply do not share your confidence.

It also seemed to me he plays LW. Not sure he will get many games there...

Perhaps VdV's formation would be less reliant on this type of player

You mean AVB's, I presume!

As I said, I think a team playing a high energy pressing game cannot afford to be too often or for too long without the ball. The players will burn out early in every game.

Barca couldn't press as they do, when not in possession, if it wasn't for the fact that they tend to be in possession for 60-70% of every game.

So, unless AVB is to abandon his high energy pressing strategy, it is imperative that we sign a player who can keep the team ticking along in possession. Without Modric, we have no such player.

Back