• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guess who the most consistent two teams in the Premier League over the last decade have been?

The two who are the two biggest in Europe and nothing like as vulnerable as us to losing their best players?

The two who dish out 6 figure weekly salaries to players like confetti?

Yep, that'll be them.

Getting rid of VDV this season would be ridiculous. Yes they occupy the same position, but you need a plan B if plan A hits a bad patch of form or is ineffective. Siggy is as yet unproven in our team and Rafa has proven effective every season he has been here. If Siggy grabs the bull by the horns and smashes in 15 goals, fair do's we can talk about selling Rafa next year, but to do it this year would be a bit pre-emptive

I think it's more a case of VDV wanting to leave - for his wife's benefit.

I'm pretty sure that AVB would prefer that he stayed.

I don't know much about the situation but apparently we've made an approach for him in the past. Let's not forget that he was one of the best goalkeepers around when Inter won the treble.

But I'd rather we got Lloris, less risk attached etc.

First I've heard of our supposed interest in him was a few weeks ago. And they smelled like agent flimflam to me.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine away - no modric no ade no parker and no vdv for most of the game. thats our top 4 players from last season.

yet i thought we did surprisingly well and attributed it to avb.

The difference between us and the likes of City is that they made wholesale changes of quality to their squad - we're merely tweaking. Bringing in Robinho to replace Varius Vassell is a world away from what we're doing!

Now, I don't disagree with changes. Change is necessary is order to move with the times and progress as a football club. But too much change can be a bad thing, as AVB found from his time at Chelsea. Now, I don't think the same will happen with us, as the first XI won't be much different from last season - just that the squad may be tweaked around. The likes of Huddlestone and Dawson moving on (one on loan) will not shake the foundations of the club because they didn't feature much last season. Bit part players like Kranjcar, Corluka etc won't be missed too much as they weren't making positive noises within the club as Redknapp didn't play them enough over the last two seasons.

I back AVB 100% - I just want this transfer window to be over with so we can get on with the season and see what we have to work with. But comparing our situation to City or Chelsea is rather defunct.

Good post. The first eleven won't look that much different from last years first eleven when it comes down to it. You could see 8-9 of the same players that would be considered our best team in the season gone will likely be starting most games this season. King and Modric are the two obvious absentees.

At first I was aghast at the thoughts that Dawson and Hudd were leaving the club, and players such as Bentley and Jenas were somehow still here. In fact I'd gladly see both Dawson and Hudd remain at the club, but I understand the reasons why they might be deemed surplus to requirements. When you look at it objectively then this transfer window is critical for AVB. He is attempting to change the style of play at Spurs and needs to have some semblance of success on the pitch for just long enough that he's still here to take the next steps in his master plan. If he gets this wrong then he has to wait until January before he can get new personnel through the door. That's a long time in management. I hope the fans and more importantly Levy gives him enough time to carry this through.

Last edited:
Good post. The first eleven won't look that much different from last years first eleven when it comes down to it. You could see 8-9 of the same players that would be considered our best team in the season gone will likely be starting most games this season. King and Modric are the two obvious absentees.

At first I was aghast at the thoughts that Dawson and Hudd were leaving the club, and players such as Bentley and Jenas were somehow still here. In fact I'd gladly see both Dawson and Hudd remain at the club, but I understand the reasons why they might be deemed surplus to requirements. When you look at it objectively then this transfer window is critical for AVB. He is attempting to change the style of play at Spurs and needs to have some semblance of success on the pitch for just long enough that he's still here to take the next steps in his master plan. If he gets this wrong then he has to wait until January before he can get new personnel through the door. That's a long time in management. I hope and fans and more importantly Levy gives him enough time to carry this through.

thats true, he would have seen from last season that we had a very good side, hence us getting 4th. To change that massively would be a huge risk. His style of play still might not suit ours but agree that to change this he needs to gradually change our players, whilst getting results at the same time. I hope Levy gives him longer than Ramos as I do see us losing a few more games than last season just as we are adapting from our play from last season. I hope im wrong and we go on and win the title, but thats not going to happen!

Nuri Sahin has passed his medical at Arsenal, according to SSN in Germany. One-year loan deal.

Hmm.....3rd time lucky? The SS news have twice already run headline stories in the last week that Arsenal have signed Sahin but it wasn't the case. They jumped the gun on both occasions and pulled the stories fairly pronto.

I'm still hoping against hope that Sahin might be part of the Modric deal but that boat has probably sailed.

I can't see how 2 players leaving who hardly played last season is going to make a difference? Maybe at training but not on the pitch.

We can't expect our rivals for CL places not to improve their squads. So I'm not going to get worked up about Arsenal signing Sahin.

It's what Spurs do in the transfer market that interests me.

Get In

Spurs locked in Willian talks

Andre Villas-Boas keen to land Brazilian from Shakhtar

By Graeme Bailey - Tweet me: @skygraemebailey. Last Updated: August 23, 2012 9:44am

The 24-year-old attacking midfielder has long been linked with a move to England, with Chelsea having previously failed to land him, and numerous bids have been turned down in the past 18 months.

Now Sky Sports can confirm that Spurs are working hard to secure his signature.

Andre Villas-Boas has sanctioned the move for a player who was brought to his attention during his time with Chelsea, and he believes Willian would be an excellent addition to his squad.

However, Spurs have seen their approaches rebuffed and at least two offers have already been rejected by Shakhtar.

The Ukrainian giants have always insisted that they want at least £20million for the Brazil international, who has two years left on his current deal.

Sky Sports understands Spurs are still in talks with Shakhtar, meaning the North London club are trying to push through a deal before next week's transfer deadline.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8011199/Spurs-locked-in-Willian-talks

Get In

Spurs locked in Willian talks

Andre Villas-Boas keen to land Brazilian from Shakhtar

By Graeme Bailey - Tweet me: @skygraemebailey. Last Updated: August 23, 2012 9:44am

The 24-year-old attacking midfielder has long been linked with a move to England, with Chelsea having previously failed to land him, and numerous bids have been turned down in the past 18 months.

Now Sky Sports can confirm that Spurs are working hard to secure his signature.

Andre Villas-Boas has sanctioned the move for a player who was brought to his attention during his time with Chelsea, and he believes Willian would be an excellent addition to his squad.

However, Spurs have seen their approaches rebuffed and at least two offers have already been rejected by Shakhtar.

The Ukrainian giants have always insisted that they want at least £20million for the Brazil international, who has two years left on his current deal.

Sky Sports understands Spurs are still in talks with Shakhtar, meaning the North London club are trying to push through a deal before next week's transfer deadline.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8011199/Spurs-locked-in-Willian-talks

Is he any good? I've never watched him

Back