• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope you're not being serious

I am serious

(edit) almost no premierleague squad has been stable year after year with the same squad except for United and maybe the backbone of Chelsea (Lampard, Terry, Drogba)

if we want to be like Liverpool, fine, then lets stick with what we got

there is a huge difference between AVB and Harry. If he wants a new squad, then fine, he is the manager and will triumph or fail with his decisions

Last edited:
I am serious

no premierleague squad has been stable year after year with the same squad except for United and maybe the backbone of Chelsea (Lampard, Terry, Drogba)

if we want to be like Liverpool, fine, then lets stick with what we got

there is a huge difference between AVB and Harry. If he wants a new squad, then fine, he is the manager and will triumph or fail with his decisions
The difference between us and the likes of City is that they made wholesale changes of quality to their squad - we're merely tweaking. Bringing in Robinho to replace Varius Vassell is a world away from what we're doing!

Now, I don't disagree with changes. Change is necessary is order to move with the times and progress as a football club. But too much change can be a bad thing, as AVB found from his time at Chelsea. Now, I don't think the same will happen with us, as the first XI won't be much different from last season - just that the squad may be tweaked around. The likes of Huddlestone and Dawson moving on (one on loan) will not shake the foundations of the club because they didn't feature much last season. Bit part players like Kranjcar, Corluka etc won't be missed too much as they weren't making positive noises within the club as Redknapp didn't play them enough over the last two seasons.

I back AVB 100% - I just want this transfer window to be over with so we can get on with the season and see what we have to work with. But comparing our situation to City or Chelsea is rather defunct.

The difference between us and the likes of City is that they made wholesale changes of quality to their squad - we're merely tweaking. Bringing in Robinho to replace Varius Vassell is a world away from what we're doing!

Now, I don't disagree with changes. Change is necessary is order to move with the times and progress as a football club. But too much change can be a bad thing, as AVB found from his time at Chelsea. Now, I don't think the same will happen with us, as the first XI won't be much different from last season - just that the squad may be tweaked around. The likes of Huddlestone and Dawson moving on (one on loan) will not shake the foundations of the club because they didn't feature much last season. Bit part players like Kranjcar, Corluka etc won't be missed too much as they weren't making positive noises within the club as Redknapp didn't play them enough over the last two seasons.

I back AVB 100% - I just want this transfer window to be over with so we can get on with the season and see what we have to work with. But comparing our situation to City or Chelsea is rather defunct.

good comment, my comment was a bit generalized. What I am saying, I´m all for changes if we are getting better and younger players in instead of those that are going out.

lampard and vdv - VDV more talented, but Lampard will get you more goals. i.e VDV more skillful. That said Id have Lampard in over VDV
kevin nolan and vdv - VDV far more talented than Kevin Nolan, unsure on how many goals Nolan got for Saudi Sportswashing Machine/Bolton on average a season but would have VDV in the team
cahill and vdv - Cahill stronger and good headerer of the ball but VDV the more talented one id say. would have VDV in the team
dempsey and vdv - tough one, Dempsey had an amazing season one which probably wont be replicated, going to sit on the fence on this one im afraid.

taking that into account. can you see how the goals could be replaced with a lesser talented player?

I'm not in any illusion that Siggy is as talented as VDv ..he isnt..but positionally for that spot he occupies in the formation i have no doubt that he is good enough to get goals from there

good comment, my comment was a bit generalized. What I am saying, I´m all for changes if we are getting better and younger players in instead of those that are going out.
For sure. Having this much work to do before the transfer window is out worries me a bit. We need some help on the wings, up front and in midfield (if Modric goes).

taking that into account. can you see how the goals could be replaced with a lesser talented player?

I'm not in any illusion that Siggy is as talented as VDv ..he isnt..but positionally for that spot he occupies in the formation i have no doubt that he is good enough to get goals from there

I see your point and can see how someone of lesser talent could come in and score more goals, however I do think VDV brings more to the team than just his goals, and possibly more than the 7-10 I mentioned. He brings others into the team, sets up goals, plays little one two’s and has little touches that not a lot of our other players possess. He can attract opposing players in tight spaces which opens up space around the field. I think he is one of our most important players and to lose him would be a big blow.

Getting rid of VDV this season would be ridiculous. Yes they occupy the same position, but you need a plan B if plan A hits a bad patch of form or is ineffective. Siggy is as yet unproven in our team and Rafa has proven effective every season he has been here. If Siggy grabs the bull by the horns and smashes in 15 goals, fair do's we can talk about selling Rafa next year, but to do it this year would be a bit pre-emptive

Just don't think it'll happen. Willian and Damiao are good players, and worth every penny as long as it's somewhere around the 16 million mark. Anything above that? Only reserved for someone truly special, I feel.

I will be very surprised if we don't break our transfer record this window.

£1 million was once a sum reserved only for truly special players. Nowadays, it's a price that second tier clubs will pay for lower league journeymen without even blinking.

I am serious

(edit) almost no premierleague squad has been stable year after year with the same squad except for United and maybe the backbone of Chelsea (Lampard, Terry, Drogba)

Guess who the most consistent two teams in the Premier League over the last decade have been?

Why? His star has faded over the past few years.

We're not even interested as far as I know. It's just been agent talk.
I don't know much about the situation but apparently we've made an approach for him in the past. Let's not forget that he was one of the best goalkeepers around when Inter won the treble.

But I'd rather we got Lloris, less risk attached etc.

For ages people have been crying out that we dont have a system that runs through the club. Harry basically just did the 4-4-2 and went with that with little or no tactical set up and let the players quality almost speak for itself. This has its plus points but also its negative points.

When we played the Scum in the league cup and they put out their kids and so did we you could see that having a settled system and players that suit that system all the way through the club made a massive difference. It has allowed them to constantly let players go and yet still stay at the sharp end of the premiership every year.

AVB will do that to us, we will play a system from the top of the club to the bottom, this will allow the team to be able to bring youngsters into use more often than just playing the best player we have even if he is shoehorned into a position.

A lot of our squad and first team suit this system, which is why I believe AVB or Rodgers was ideal for this club. There are going to be some sacrifices. Most of the team we have lost would be gone anyway. WE cannot stop Modric from leaving and King had to retire. VDV could be a hard one to swallow, he is a talented player. We all know that. But we also know he is not the best at Defending or tracking other players. All the players at United do that. I think that is one of the reasons berba is overlooked.

So, its a hard pill but one for the better. There will be some losses that we wont like, but we have to believe its for the long term improvement of the whole setup at spurs. Im prepared for a season of being around 5th to 6th with improvement towards the end of the season. And then next year i will expect more. Of course i hope that we are in the mix for the CL spots. But we always have to give a new manager time.

The problem for AVB at Chelsea was quite the opposite, IMO - too little change in terms of personnel.

AVB was expected to change Chelsea's style of play without being given the proper tools to do so. Instead, he was faced with an entrenched squad of senior players that didn't buy into his ideas. Fatal.

Back