• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I honestly don't think we're going to break our transfer record this window. We paid, what, sixteen and half million quid for Modric/Bentley? Can't see us paying more than that for Willian or Damiao. Should still be enough to get them, though. Only question is; do we actually have the money for both plus the Modric replacement/possible GK? Questionable.

I think we'll have to smash our record to get Damiao. No idea about Willian.

As to whether the money is there, we have cleared a lot of players off our books over the past eight months:

Pav; Charlie; Niko; Bassong; Pienaar; Nelsen; Saha; Alnwick.

And more seem likely to follow:

Modric; Dawson.

Plus a few more sent out on loan (not least Thudd).

And Ledley has retired.

So, at the very least, space for new signings has been made on the wage bill. There's a fair chunk of incoming money too.

Last edited:
Jarvis and Fletcher both set to undergo medicals today. Nice little windfall for Wolves there.

Nice? They are ripping off two desperate tossers (Fat taco and Artie Ziff)! Very nice windfall for them.

Jarvis is a £3million player at best.

(Based on one game) Sigurdsson seemed to be more effective at pressing and this can be key for AVB. I for one think VdV should start.

Ii'd like to think

- there is a whole lot more to (good) football than 'pressing'
- let's wait for VdV to start a game and then make some kind of objective comparaison - better yet, let's wait for 5 games each

I honestly don't think we're going to break our transfer record this window. We paid, what, sixteen and half million quid for Modric/Bentley? Can't see us paying more than that for Willian or Damiao. Should still be enough to get them, though. Only question is; do we actually have the money for both plus the Modric replacement/possible GK? Questionable.

Why not? It was 4 years ago, we have to do it once.
If Levy payed that much for Bentley he can do it again for some real quality.

Last edited:
It has probably been mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, but Ade was given the number 25 shirt - which means the number 9 is still not taken...hmmm... :-k

It has probably been mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, but Ade was given the number 25 shirt - which means the number 9 is still not taken...hmmm... :-k

Yes. :)

Ade has usually preferred the 25 shirt, but last season it was taken by none other Danny Rose.

zamorano.jpg

Sigurdsson has to earn his place ahead of VdV, imho (not idea what AVB thinks on this - simply my take) - not assume it by default because of some perceived fitness superiority

really?

from a really good poster who has a lot of football sence this is a rather silly comment

everybody starts with a fresh plate with a new manager, if the manager thinks that Sigurdsson is more effective, then it is his decision. It has nothing to do with age or experience.

Sigurdsson is not the default AMC, and neither is VDV

TEAMtalk @TEAMtalk

Queens Park Rangers are reportedly in talks to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar

maybe AVB is just trying to balance the books while optimizing the squad.
not looking for 1-for-1 replacements. but if you can buy low sell high and keep the squad ticking, why not? the savings could be reinvested in other areas that needs strengthening.

Willian looks brick to be honest. what doe she do that young Townsend don't? a few step overs and thats it? 20 mill no thanks.

Why not? It was 4 years ago, we have to do it once.
If Levy payed that much for Bentley he can do it again for some real quality.

Just don't think it'll happen. Willian and Damiao are good players, and worth every penny as long as it's somewhere around the 16 million mark. Anything above that? Only reserved for someone truly special, I feel.

There is a difference between keeping the squad ticking over and wholesale changes. If the first team was stable then turnover in the squad wouldn't be a worry and Dawson and Huddlestone could be part of this. However, we have to face two major changes in the first XI, with King's retirement and Modric's presumed exit, and a new manager, who may or may not be successful, so I've be happier with less change.

The talk of Dawson, Huddlestone, Defoe and RvdV leaving, on top of Modric and King, reminds me too much of the eleven in, eleven out under Ramos and we don't need 'Arry to remind us how that went.

Just don't think it'll happen. Willian and Damiao are good players, and worth every penny as long as it's somewhere around the 16 million mark. Anything above that? Only reserved for someone truly special, I feel.
The only problem is that someone 'truly special' won't come to Spurs while other clubs are snooping around. We need to take a few risks every now and then rather than playing 'Moneyball' all the time.

In todays market, that's the price for a very good player (or an average one if English). You're going to have to pay far more for exceptional players.....

Back