• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A question on ITK scoring ...

If an ITK repeatedly claims Ade deal done deal, about to be announced, and he eventually signs, does that count as a correct call or one correct call and 50 wrong ones. Is it 100% ITK or 2% ITK?

Its funny how before the Ade signing was announced there was a lot of doom and scepticism setting in. Suddenly we make one signing and the other proposals take a new lease of life. Curiously signing one striker makes claims that we will sign another more believable. As they say, its the hope that kills you.

who was it that was going on about pictures taken on tuesday?

you watch him a lot then?

Sigurdsson to date had only a few good games in a no-pressure promoted side - think I'll reserve judgement for now. VdV has been for the last 2 season, imv - our most naturally talented player and often one of the most influental figures - in addition to adding 15 goals/season from midfield (when was the last time we had that - fudge it, most of our strikers struggle to match this tally). Not to mention his considerable career achievements and immense experience at the highest level. So, I hope you can understand while I'm not falling for the Sigurdsson love-in just yet - potentially a very good player, exciting prospect - but some way to go still.

Last edited:
Sigurdsson is not fit to lace his boots - quite a long way to go before he can prove himself anywhere near VdV's level

That's more than a bit harsh.

Of course, at the top level, Sigurdsson doesn't have VDV's record. And maybe he doesn't have VDV's natural talent either.

But not fit to lace VDV's boots? Not having that!

Not least because Sigurdsson is seven years younger than VDV and is almost certainly more suited to the way that AVB wants to play. He can cope with a high energy pressing game in a way that VDV simply won't.

I think VDV will go if we manage to bring Willian or someone similar in.

Willian can play anywhere across the attacking midfield positions (left/right wing or behind the striker).

.....................................Ade/Damiao/Kane

Bale/Willian/Townsend.......Willian/Sigurdsson........Lennon/Willian

..........................Sandro/Livermore....Parker/Livermore (possible another to come in here M'Villa?)

Obviously Damiao and Willian can be replaced with other players if the moves don't come off.

Not sure that I understand the logic. If we play the 4-2-3-1 formation which AVBs played at the weekend, then for the '3' positions you would want to have 5 players plus a kid (ie so that you have something close to 2 players per position). Bale, Lennon, Rafa, Will.i.am and Sigurdsson would be those 5 with Townsend playing in Europa and CC games. 4 plus a kid would leave you short.

If on the other hand we eventually move to AVB's preferred 4-3-3 formation then Sigurdsson/Rafa would be one of the 3 midfielders - after all, this is where Sigurdsson played for Swansea and Rafa played in the summer when Holland moved to 4-3-3. You would then have Willian, Bale and Lennon competing for the 2 spots which play off the front man

Sigurdsson to date had only a few good games in a no-pressure promoted side - think I'll reserve judgement for now. VdV has been for the last 2 season, imv - our most naturally talented player and often one of the most influental figures - in addition to adding 15 goals/season from midfield (when was the last time we had that - fudge it, most of our strikers struggle to match this tally). Not to mention his considerable career achievements and immense experience at the highest level. So, I hope you can understand while I'm not falling for the Sigurdsson love-in just yet - potentially a very good player, exciting prospect - but some way to go still.

Exactly. I like Sigurdsson but find it incredible how a couple months ago no-one on here was desperate for us to sign him and now lots think he's a world beater and better than VdV!!! I put it down to the fact that he's our main attacking signing (I dont count Ade as he was here last year) and therefore people are desperate for him to succeed

If VDV goes I think it will be because HE WANTS TO not because we are trying to get shot.

He and Sigurdsson offer fantastic cover for that position, as well as different dynamics.

I suspect in VDVs mind he would rather go to Germany (been on the cards anyway for personal reasons) and be #1 for a side than stay here and fight for a spot against a young up and comer...

That's more than a bit harsh.

Of course, at the top level, Sigurdsson doesn't have VDV's record. And maybe he doesn't have VDV's natural talent either.

But not fit to lace VDV's boots? Not having that!

Not least because Sigurdsson is seven years younger than VDV and is almost certainly more suited to the way that AVB wants to play. He can cope with a high energy pressing game in a way that VDV simply won't.

See me previous response.

As for the bolded bit - on what findings have you drawn this conclusion, just out of interest? Bear in mind, VdV has just about always been in the Top 3 distance covered stats over the last season or so. I've said this before but it appears Redknapp's default 60 min. Defoe sub has created a myth of an unfit player who can barely keep his legs straight when in fact - most statistics suggest the very opposite. His commitment on the field is another aspect which numbers fail to show - a player who looks ready to die for the team. And before someone throws in the 'clever runner' response - well, which one is it - if he runs a lot - he's not running 'clever' - if he runs less 'he's not pressing hard enough'.

So for you to categorically conclude Sigurdsson is better suited for a pressing game based on 60 minutes in the season so far in a game he was largerly invisible to begin with - it a bit harsh, imv. He's a vintage Levy buy - young, relatively cheap investment with strong qualities of an appreciating asset - potentially to yield considerable profit in a few years to come. He has massive potential and that's exciting, no doubt - but some of the comments relegating VdV to the bench in favour of a player who most definitely has to earn his spot first - are unfair, imv

Last edited:
If VDV goes I think it will be because HE WANTS TO not because we are trying to get shot.

He and Sigurdsson offer fantastic cover for that position, as well as different dynamics.

I suspect in VDVs mind he would rather go to Germany (been on the cards anyway for personal reasons) and be #1 for a side than stay here and fight for a spot against a young up and comer...

Yep. I think it's been suggested a few times that the Mrs wants to return to Germany for her TV work.

If there's truth in the VDV rumours, it might explain Sherwood's presence at the Malaga game last night.

Pages back - he said we're watching Isco - hence my sarcastic 'poor' comment

Ah, right.

Think you'll find that I mentioned Isco in the very post before his! ;)

Don't think either of us was itk, though (I'm certainly not!). It was just the obvious conclusion once it was known that Sherwood was there.

Couple of times I've seen stats saying VDV covers the most ground in a match. Hate to see him leave, I'd start him Saturday, let him have a run in the side. Sig can play the second half of the season when VDV is usually shot.

As for the bolded bit - on what findings have you drawn this conclusion, just out of interest? Bear in mind, VdV has just about always been in the Top 3 distance covered stats over the last season or so. I've said this before but it appears Redknapp's default 60 min. Defoe sub has created a myth of an unfit player who can barely keep his legs straight when in fact - most statistics suggest the very opposite. His commitment on the field is another aspect which numbers fail to show - a player who looks ready to die for the team. And before someone throws in the 'clever runner' response - well, which one is it - if he runs a lot - he's not running 'clever' - if he runs less 'he's not pressing hard enough'.

So for you to categorically conclude Sigurdsson is better suited for a pressing game based on 60 minutes in the season so far in a game he was largerly invisible to begin with - it a bit harsh, imv. He's a vintage Levy buy - young, relatively cheap investment with strong qualities of an appreciating asset - potentially to yield considerable profit in a few years to come. He has massive potential and that's exciting, no doubt - but some of the comments relegating VdV to the bench in favour of a player who most definitely has to earn his spot first - are unfair, imv

Running a great deal in a short space of time is not indicative of stamina.

With my own eyes Ive seen VDV absolutely dead on his feet about 70 minutes into a game.

I do not believe Redknapp would routinely make a substitution just because, if he takes VDV off its because he wants something Defoe (or another) can offer.

Quite often, with the evidence of my own eyes, that appeared to be 'legs'

Ive argued for a long time VDV needs to be smart in when/where he runs. I still hold the view he often still doesnt get this.

I do believe Sigurdsson holds his position with more discipline, roams less, and for a player supposed to support the striker I prefer this.

As to pressing? Honestly I have no preference. I think VDV is more than capable, so long as he is disciplined.

More mud slinging and assumptions - is this really necessary? Did we forget the interview he made around a month ago professing his love for the club and fans - that must have been a smoke screen.

My objection was specifically to your claim that Sigurdsson "isn't fit to lace VDV's boots". That's just taking it too far.

JJetset has said a Brazilian Superstar is on his way.

He's been positive regarding Damiao lately.

Who: wpd659
Where: SC
When: 23/08/12

Just had a txt from my biatch bid of £21 mil mayb rising to £26mil has been placed for LD we were told by there ppl this should be acepted

Back