• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Damn. You guys and your tea. Hot water with barely noticeable flavor. I don't get it. Maybe I've just tried the wrong tea. What's your favorite brand? Maybe I'll give it a go. :)

There is not much more to it. It’s refreshing in an inoffensive way.

:D....a quarter of it ends up at mums

But 300 bags is £12 ish...but we buy loose leaf and maybe some even higher grade gonads from time to time as well. Think you had to spend over £80 for free delivery otherwise it was something stupid like £13.

They used to sell it in Waitrose a good while back, (that's how I discovered it) but no more.

Right I’m upping my beverage game.

I pretty much only drink Darjeeling 2nd flush, my mum brings me back a few packs whenever she goes to India from someone she knows who sells it to her dirt cheap. Tastes amazing.
I like Darjeeling....it's nice and delicate, good for afternoons. Assam is lovely as well, kind of maltier.

Although pretty much just on the Sri Lankan stuff nowadays as I've said.

I pretty much only drink Darjeeling 2nd flush, my mum brings me back a few packs whenever she goes to India from someone she knows who sells it to her dirt cheap. Tastes amazing.
I just ordered a box. If I don’t like it, you can have the rest of the box.

I like Darjeeling....it's nice and delicate, good for afternoons. Assam is lovely as well, kind of maltier.

Which brand are you scoring?

Was in Sri Lanka a few years ago. The smell of tea pervades the mountains whenever there’s a tea processing factory near by. It is such a distinct aroma, and you don’t get that same smell off many teas you drink. I do get it from Twinings English Breakfast (yellow box). A freshness and distinct aroma.

Seeing how the tea is picked dried and sorted is a fun thing to do. The Brits completely changed the landscape in the Sri Lankan hills. Picturesque tea plantations everywhere.

Attachments

• F3C41A85-4ADB-4698-8046-ACA133C3AB44.jpeg
    F3C41A85-4ADB-4698-8046-ACA133C3AB44.jpeg
    945.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 04F8104F-6ADE-4DE7-ACF2-8BE4F759BBB0.jpeg
    04F8104F-6ADE-4DE7-ACF2-8BE4F759BBB0.jpeg
    755.2 KB · Views: 10
Which brand are you scoring?

Was in Sri Lanka a few years ago. The smell of tea pervades the mountains whenever there’s a tea processing factory near by. It is such a distinct aroma, and you don’t get that same smell off many teas you drink. I do get it from Twinings English Breakfast (yellow box). A freshness and distinct aroma.

Seeing how the tea is picked dried and sorted is a fun thing to do. The Brits completely changed the landscape in the Sri Lankan hills. Picturesque tea plantations everywhere.

Very jealous of your trip to the Sri Lankan foothills. A visit is very much near the top of our, to do destinations.

https://shop.dilmahtea.co.uk/

Very jealous of your trip to the Sri Lankan foothills. A visit is very much near the top of our, to do destinations.

https://shop.dilmahtea.co.uk/

The little train lines in Sri Lanka are very cute, and they trundle up through the hills. You can hang out the doors they move so slowly. Everything is quaint and old worldie on the railway. If you do go, I regret not buying some gems in Columbo. If you want to be a superstar with a loved one buy a rock (for not that much) and bring it back and set it with a UK maker. There are decent rings you can have made up there, but they seemed a bit crude, not so refined/elegant.

Walking in the hills is great fun. And cooler than the coast. They have stunning India ocean beaches, but the sea is quite strong to swim in, and I preferred being in the interior. There's a well-trodden circle from Columbo down and around the southern loop of the island. But if you can I think its nice to get off this tourist track a little. That's why the hills are nice as you can see how people live and get away from the tourists. Staying in people's homes we had the best food, and it was better than the flashy hotels (where we did get a small bout of food poisoning!).

Their tea looks great value, thank you :)

The little train lines in Sri Lanka are very cute, and they trundle up through the hills. You can hang out the doors they move so slowly. Everything is quaint and old worldie on the railway. If you do go, I regret not buying some gems in Columbo. If you want to be a superstar with a loved one buy a rock (for not that much) and bring it back and set it with a UK maker. There are decent rings you can have made up there, but they seemed a bit crude, not so refined/elegant.

Walking in the hills is great fun. And cooler than the coast. They have stunning India ocean beaches, but the sea is quite strong to swim in, and I preferred being in the interior. There's a well-trodden circle from Columbo down and around the southern loop of the island. But if you can I think its nice to get off this tourist track a little. That's why the hills are nice as you can see how people live and get away from the tourists. Staying in people's homes we had the best food, and it was better than the flashy hotels (where we did get a small bout of food poisoning!).

Their tea looks great value, thank you :)

I've seen pictures of the train and the track that runs down the west coast from Columbo...
We got the narrow guage train from Siliguri to Darjeeling (just the 7hours!) back in the 90s while tripping round India and Nepal. Amazing climbing up into the foot hills of the Himalayas. (...and away from the HEAT).

I'm a surfer, so Sri Lanka has always been on the list, that South West -South- South East stretch around Arugam Bay. I'd hope to go for 4/5 weeks, to immerse myself, to not feel rushed....to notice everyday life. Definitely get up into the hills and interior.

Beyond the flights, I guess there's no need for it to be expensive either?.

Yeah I mostly work from home so drink 2-4 cups a day so I prefer something milder. I do like an Assam or something a little more flavoured on the weekend. This thread reminds me that it's always good to have a decent range at home in case you fancy something different.

I've seen pictures of the train and the track that runs down the west coast from Columbo...
We got the narrow guage train from Siliguri to Darjeeling (just the 7hours!) back in the 90s while tripping round India and Nepal. Amazing climbing up into the foot hills of the Himalayas. (...and away from the HEAT).

I'm a surfer, so Sri Lanka has always been on the list, that South West -South- South East stretch around Arugam Bay. I'd hope to go for 4/5 weeks, to immerse myself, to not feel rushed....to notice everyday life. Definitely get up into the hills and interior.

Beyond the flights, I guess there's no need for it to be expensive either?.

There is also train lines that run through the hills - which is scenic too. Little villages, bridges over ravines, tea plantations everywhere. The Sri Lankan coast is very exposed so awesome for surfing no doubt! Only tried in Morocco with softer waves. Surfing on Xmas day and standing up for the first time was a rush (even tho it was on a tiny bump of a wave!).

You end up paying more as a tourist. There is a huge range of places to stay some high-end, but if discerning you can live for very little. In the countryside staying at the equivalent of B&Bs is both cheaper and more fun. And the locals will look after you. Can also book some nice hotels on the coast with a pool - no doubt some brilliant surfing hotels with great food, scenery and simple but beautiful accommodation. If you head to the North or East you can explore off the beaten track and it will be cheaper still. 4/5 weeks gives you ample time to relax plus explore. Climbing Adams Peak and watching the sun rise is worthwhile. The mountain casts a perfect shadow at dawn, despite being croocked in reality.

One day I'll get to north India and Nepal! Sounds incredible.

Attachments

• 86F5E660-5065-4FE6-8661-740CFADC2A73.jpeg
    86F5E660-5065-4FE6-8661-740CFADC2A73.jpeg
    813.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 21BBF2F0-996F-4D3E-AFBF-5C2E9A9FFF54.jpeg
    21BBF2F0-996F-4D3E-AFBF-5C2E9A9FFF54.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 6D6BFB6D-1996-4D1D-894A-5462C2F9A65D.jpeg
    6D6BFB6D-1996-4D1D-894A-5462C2F9A65D.jpeg
    844.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
There is also train lines that run through the hills - which is scenic too. Little villages, bridges over ravines, tea plantations everywhere. The Sri Lankan coast is very exposed so awesome for surfing no doubt! Only tried in Morocco with softer waves. Surfing on Xmas day and standing up for the first time was a rush (even tho it was on a tiny bump of a wave!).

You end up paying more as a tourist. There is a huge range of places to stay some high-end, but if discerning you can live for very little. In the countryside staying at the equivalent of B&Bs is both cheaper and more fun. And the locals will look after you. Can also book some nice hotels on the coast with a pool - no doubt some brilliant surfing hotels with great food, scenery and simple but beautiful accommodation. If you head to the North or East you can explore off the beaten track and it will be cheaper still. 4/5 weeks gives you ample time to relax plus explore. Climbing Adams Peak and watching the sun rise is worthwhile. The mountain casts a perfect shadow at dawn, despite being croocked in reality.

One day I'll get to north India and Nepal! Sounds incredible.

Did you do Kandy to Ella?

Just checked the photos and it was 9 years ago! Shock. Which is why I can't be certain, but I think so yes. Covid inserted a 3-year vortex in our lives eh. So was only 6 years back :)

Haha yeh I was planning pre Covid and the Kandy to Ella and the tea plantation train was on the books for me. Actually looks like your train photo so looks right.

I need to revisit the plans

so, i'm not very happy at work. I never have been truly happy with it. But it pays well, and i grew up with very little in that way, so it does help now.

Anyway, i kind of feel i'm at the point, nearly 40, for a career change. It's not that i've got loads in the bank or anything but the mrs does well enough to, to allow me to take a bit of a hit.

Has anyone ever taken this risk before and how did it go?

so, i'm not very happy at work. I never have been truly happy with it. But it pays well, and i grew up with very little in that way, so it does help now.

Anyway, i kind of feel i'm at the point, nearly 40, for a career change. It's not that i've got loads in the bank or anything but the mrs does well enough to, to allow me to take a bit of a hit.

You're right to consider your safety net. (Savings or joint incomes).
With the way living costs are rising, does that fit in with your plan? (Stress test)
It depends on what you want to do.
Do you have a strong feeling on something specific?
How long is re-training/education?
Is it more to give you a better work/life balance.
Is it the workplace you're in that doesn't do it
for you or the type of work?
Do you have kids, or plan too?

I came to this crossroads myself about say about 20 years ago. I was in a high paying job for an American company which I didn't really like, and was questioning the whole thing. One week I had 40 meetings (no exaggeration) and I think just looking at my calender that week made my mind up to move. On top of that my mother was sick and it brought it home to me that time is the real resource we are wasting. So I left that job and went working with my brother-in-law fitting kitchens and whatenot. There are more chapters to this story but I never regertted leaving the job.

I did 2 years ago
Got made redundant, 24 years pay off, so more than enough for 2 years of living and paying bills
So i decided to go into Project Management and contracting, few bumps in the road but it's the best thing I've ever done

Back