• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

so, i'm not very happy at work. I never have been truly happy with it. But it pays well, and i grew up with very little in that way, so it does help now.

Anyway, i kind of feel i'm at the point, nearly 40, for a career change. It's not that i've got loads in the bank or anything but the mrs does well enough to, to allow me to take a bit of a hit.

Has anyone ever taken this risk before and how did it go?

Set up your own business The ultimate risk-reward. I remember the feeling of leaving employment and financially leaping off a cliff. Will you take off and start flying/make money before your savings run out and you hit the floor!

Not for the faint hearted but if you have a good idea or service, or even just working as a consultant doing what you did before, it is an exciting step.

so, i'm not very happy at work. I never have been truly happy with it. But it pays well, and i grew up with very little in that way, so it does help now.

Anyway, i kind of feel i'm at the point, nearly 40, for a career change. It's not that i've got loads in the bank or anything but the mrs does well enough to, to allow me to take a bit of a hit.

Decided many years ago ( many) that i hated working for others and decided to become self employed and have never been sorry for doing so. Obviously you have to have a idea of what you want to do and it MAY not be as much as you were getting for working for others ( but it may be and as a bonus you do not to take brick from others). Find something you are good at and if you can make a go of it do it.

You have 27 or 28 years til you get your state pension, so plenty of time to find a new vocation.

I was made redundant after 25 years working for the same firm 5 years ago. Am 52. I had the choice to stay but since leaving I’ve worked with lots of different firms and there have always been many good people along the way.

Managed to rebuild house (not by my own hand) and pay off mortgage in these few years. Also found a year to help with my elderly parents care and am halfway through a postgraduate course which is going well.

Still waste too much time drinking beer but money has been a lot easier to come by - from choosing the right opportunities allied to the right degree of confidence.

Never lie to yourself, find work you enjoy with people you like and your job is to make yourself and then your family and friends happy.

Drunk as a skunk. For some reason a small gathering of beer loving spurs fans became beer fest from another world. £60 for a somewhat large bottle is not alright, unless you're already drunk.

Was so impressed with BST at Hyde Park yesterday
Everything well laid out, so many food/drink outlets and really decent toilets
We hardly had to queue for anything
The Darkness/The Pretenders were really good and GnR were brilliant, the sound was so so good, great screens too

Got an offer this afternoon for a new contract starting next week
Be nice to be back in the City 2/3 days a week too rather than the fully remote that I currently am doing
Have been feeling really de-socialized lately, be nice to see my old work buddies for beers in the sunshine

Be nice to be back in the City 2/3 days a week too rather than the fully remote that I currently am doing
Have been feeling really de-socialized lately, be nice to see my old work buddies for beers in the sunshine

Nice one mate, I am waiting to hear from my last two interviews (both 2nds) and the same as the ones two weeks ago.

I got asked by a mate of mine in the civil service if I fancied applying for a job there as they have a massive shortage round Croydon/Surrey way but not sure its for me TBH

Actually just had a call the new place takes 10 days to set up IT etc so that takes me into 10 days in Greece with the family so starting 31st July now so a lovely long break

I left a senior role at Tesco HQ to go freelance
Loved it tBH
Only reason I’ve gone perm 12 years later is new experience
I’m either here for the next 5 years or not now..
As everyone else has said (all great advice), if you have a niche and an idea… try it at least

Yes. I took it a few months ago. Quit my job to dedicate my life to the arts and going deeper into myself. It's been excellent. It doesn't pay well so far, but I knew it would take a while to get established as an artist (and I do work the occasional night shift at my old job, which allows me to basically sit up all night and draw and get paid for it). Hopefully I'll be able to earn more from my art after a while. In terms of life quality, it's just shot through the roof. It's certainly not "safe", and I'm dead broke most of the time, but the money will come eventually, I hope, as this way of living is just the way forward for a happy life. So I say: do it! fudge safety. You're not safe if you're unhappy.

Last edited:
appreciate all the feedback folks. we're disussing what we can and can't manage.

i also discussed with my boss that i dont seem to be reaching the goals i am working towards. Not up for promo this year, but she knows where i stand which has helped.

there's a few roles i really wanted to go move, but like i said, we need to strike a balance.

Got paid a cheque today for some old work I did and been hundred of years since I last paid one in and cleared one. Whats the turnaround time these days? I have heard its 24hrs with this new tech they use?

Got paid a cheque today for some old work I did and been hundred of years since I last paid one in and cleared one. Whats the turnaround time these days? I have heard its 24hrs with this new tech they use?
Depends on your bank TBH
Lloyds is supper quick
Santander not so…

Note you can just scan it with the Lloyds app, you don't have to go to the bank physically. May be obvious to you, but thought I would mention it since it has been a hundred years.

Note you can just scan it with the Lloyds app, you don't have to go to the bank physically. May be obvious to you, but thought I would mention it since it has been a hundred years.

Yeh thanks mate, Barclays have the same, apparently takes 24hrs using the new tech, that's not shabby

Cheque? In 2023? Here in Norway it's more than 10 years since you could get cheque books. Can't remember even seeing one since probably early 90's.

Back