• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Predict The Run In

Chelsea have the harder run in, piled on with more games due to cups.

If anyone is going to miss out on top four other than us, it's Chelsea not Arsenal.

100% agree

The bookies have it all wrong though
to finish outside the top 4:
Chelsea 3/1
Arsenal 15/8
Tottenham 8/13

I wouldn't say they have it all wrong, Chelsea have the mentality of consistently achieving and also the squad to cope with any potential fixture pile ups. Rafa is prepared to utilise his squad when it comes to the Europa League etc, he knows what the biggest priority is....

I wouldn't say they have it all wrong, Chelsea have the mentality of consistently achieving and also the squad to cope with any potential fixture pile ups. Rafa is prepared to utilise his squad when it comes to the Europa League etc, he knows what the biggest priority is....

Getting 2 more trophies on his CV.
Doesnt matter to him if Chelsea are in the CL next year or not. He wont be there.

How do you know what matters to him? You think Chelsea not qualifying for the CL is going to look good on his CV? Its already been mooted he's going to make changes for the Europa League tie...

How do you know what matters to him? You think Chelsea not qualifying for the CL is going to look good on his CV? Its already been mooted he's going to make changes for the Europa League tie...

Not sure if serious..

Do you think managers retire at the end of the season and think, 'Well that qualifying for the champions league was one of my best seasons ever'?

Or would they go with having won trophies?

No, but I wouldn't of thought he'd retire thinking winning the Europa League was one of his best seasons ever either.

These days the domestic competition is of far more importance for the top jobs, are chairman going to look at him not getting Chelsea in the CL with their massive squad and think that's ok as he won the FA Cup or whatever?

Anyway my point was they have the squad to cope with a few extra games and I would't say they're more likely to miss out than Arsenal at all....

No, but I wouldn't of thought he'd retire thinking winning the Europa League was one of his best seasons ever either.

These days the domestic competition is of far more importance for the top jobs, are chairman going to look at him not getting Chelsea in the CL with their massive squad and think that's ok as he won the FA Cup or whatever?

Anyway my point was they have the squad to cope with a few extra games and I would't say they're more likely to miss out than Arsenal at all....

No, i doubt he'd look at the Europa league on it's own. However doing the double? That would be a special season.

Not sure if serious..

Do you think managers retire at the end of the season and think, 'Well that qualifying for the champions league was one of my best seasons ever'?

Or would they go with having won trophies?

Not many managers but he's Benitez. He always goes on about how many trophies he's won including brick like world club cup. He famously defended himself saying he won "4 trophies" at liverpool (including the charity shield and the uefa super cup!)

Maybe he would view it as special, who knows. I'm not convinced prospective employers would, and I doubt Chelsea fans would view it as special if they didn't qualify for the CL.....

Bar Swansea there really aren't any easy-ish fixtures at all for Chelsea,and I include Villa away in that....

I have doubts about us achieving anything with the way the back five have been playing. If kaboul and gallas are fit, very strong frenchie connection with lloris and benny, hopefully better communication. Otherwise, our midfield have to work extra hard, harder than what they've done recently, to cover the back line.

I'm wishing to grab 4th and both chavs and scum come undone, they are due to. We all really do have to wait till the fat lady sings, hopefully it's our Adele singing us praises.

Getting 2 more trophies on his CV.
Doesnt matter to him if Chelsea are in the CL next year or not. He wont be there.

Why do people insist on saying this?

It is so important for Benitez to finish top 4 for his own career's sake. I can't believe people are simply are glossing over this fact.

Look at his current set of achievements, purely in terms of titles and cup championships. He's right up there with the best in the world.
However, the general consensus in the "footballing community" is that hes not quite at the level of a Ferguson, Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancelotti etc. This is down to the fact that hes rarely had any sort of consistency in terms of his league performances at liverpool. And its precisely league performance that is the measure of a manager's ability. Not one off games as in the cup competitions.

Benitez hasn't been getting job offers from top clubs in a while now. And hes clever enough to know that a top 4 finish is an absolute must for his future. I would say he would definitely take a top 4 finish over one of the cups. And arguably, he would take a top 4 finish over both cups.

For anyone who has doubts, ask yourself this,
Do you think Benitez's stock will go up if he fails to finish top 4, but wins both cups?
me personally, i think chairmen and owners's opinions of him will fall if he fails top 4, even if he picks up both cups.

Why do people insist on saying this?

It is so important for Benitez to finish top 4 for his own career's sake. I can't believe people are simply are glossing over this fact.

Look at his current set of achievements, purely in terms of titles and cup championships. He's right up there with the best in the world.
However, the general consensus in the "footballing community" is that hes not quite at the level of a Ferguson, Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancelotti etc. This is down to the fact that hes rarely had any sort of consistency in terms of his league performances at liverpool. And its precisely league performance that is the measure of a manager's ability. Not one off games as in the cup competitions.

Benitez hasn't been getting job offers from top clubs in a while now. And hes clever enough to know that a top 4 finish is an absolute must for his future. I would say he would definitely take a top 4 finish over one of the cups. And arguably, he would take a top 4 finish over both cups.

For anyone who has doubts, ask yourself this,
Do you think Benitez's stock will go up if he fails to finish top 4, but wins both cups?
me personally, i think chairmen and owners's opinions of him will fall if he fails top 4, even if he picks up both cups.

Finishing 4th with Chelsea is hardly going to boost his reputation

Winning two trophies as a glorified caretaker will be the bigger achievment

And for the bookies it's often a numbers game. Points on the board and point available don't make for the prettiest reading for us right now - leaving the relative merits of the opposition aside.

Having looked at the run in, my main worry is that by the time Arsenal and Chelsea have to play United, the title will probably be wrapped up. I'm not suggesting Man U will take their foot off the gas on purpose, but something tells me it's a far better time to play them when they don't have to get the 3pts. One thing you can guarantee is RvP having an "off-day" at the Emirates if it helps the Goons.

Forget all your comparisons between this season and last...the other big scare is that we don't play this weekend, then I can't see us getting anything from Chelsea (a) and City (h), maybe a point. By which time the Goons will have played 3 games where I think they'll have picked up 7pts, putting them 5pts ahead of us.

So the pressure going into games against Stoke and So'ton is massive, whereas Arsenal have it off them a little. That will undoubtedly play a part.

I was so confident we'd done enough after beating Arsenal, but now I have it that 4th will be wrapped up before the final day of the season anyway. :(

3rd Chelsea - 71pts
4th Arsenal - 70pts
-----------------------
5th SPURS - 68pts
6th Everton - 61pts.

raceforcl.jpg

2013%2f4%2fAverage-position-CL-Challenge.jpg

2013%2f4%2fCL-Challenge.jpg

Finishing 4th with Chelsea is hardly going to boost his reputation

Winning two trophies as a glorified caretaker will be the bigger achievment

I 100% agree that finishing fourth will not enhance his reputation.
But finishing outside of the top 4 will severely damage his reputation, even if he does go on to win both cups.

The only thing he can do to enhance his reputation is probably to win both cups + top 4.
In short, him joining chelsea are an interim manager has been a disaster for his career. And now hes just trying to salvage whatever he can.

Back