• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2013

Also just notes from the game:

Today's midfield didn't have the vision to use the wide players (who often had acres of space).
Zeki and Livermore are not CBs.
Chadli was non-existent (though the CM's don't know how to use their peripheral vision at all).
Lennon offers 0 movement without the ball.
Parker is a liability (please sell).
Townsend is a beast (please don't sell).
Our young Spurs play better stuff than the older ones
Tom Carroll actually looks up before he receives a pass and plays the ball forward more often than not (as compared to all our other midfielders today who didn't).
Dembele always goes left (but who didn't know that)
We desperately need to learn how to use the wide areas.
Tommy Hudd is surely gone this window. Maybe Sigg too.

In short, we have talent out wide, just nobody to get it to them quickly enough. I pray one of Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho will have some kind of ability to see a pass or else we're doomed.

Missed the game today.

So that's Vertonghen, Kaboul, Ekotto, Sandro, Paulinho, Bale, Adebayor all with very little preseason prep with the season just around the corner. How many more preseason games do we have?

A disappointing result but don't think we can complain after playing Fryers and Livermore in defence. Suddenly the decision to sell Caulker doesn't seem like a wise one. But then don't think anyone predicted for all our 3 defenders to be out injured at the same time. This proves we need to buy atleast 1 experienced defender to be a backup to our defence. But unless we start squad rotation, it will be hard to please them all. So preferably we should buy a veteran defender in the mould of Naybet and Gallas who won't mind to play only when needed. Hope Dawson, Vertonghen and Kaboul will be back before the season starts.

Good to see us scoring 2 goals away from home. Despite his goal, don't think Kane is a long term solution. I think he lacks quality to be a top striker for us. Really beginning to like Townsend. After scoring a great freekick against South China, he has scored another great goal, this time against a good Monaco team. If Townsend can start to perform consistently, then he will be a good player for us.

Only 1 win in 5 matches so far in pre-season is a bit worrying. But hope we will start to perform once we put together our first 11 players. We really need to to strengthen our defence. Want to see us put up a better performance against Espanyol next week.

I can't remember the figures, but the commentators said something like Falcao was £53m, Rodriguez was £40m and Moutinho was £25m

Rodriguez was very quiet, he did a couple of things, but you want way more than that from a £40m player. People were critical of Rose in this thread, but I thought he did OK considering he was up against one of the most expensive youngsters in the world, with very little cover in front of him.

Falcao scored a brace and was decent but didn't seem an absolutely "world's best striker" kind of player, when you think who he was up against in Livermore and Fryers.

Fryers looks a bit like Jenas, let's hope he has more guts and ambition.

I thought Lennon was really disappointing, mostly standing around and being tackled, when he was one of our few first team seniors on show!

Moutinho was class, I think we should have made that signing last summer, and now we would be in the CL in my opinion - different class player, for OK money

I can't remember the figures, but the commentators said something like Falcao was £53m, Rodriguez was £40m and Moutinho was £25m

Rodriguez was very quiet, he did a couple of things, but you want way more than that from a £40m player. People were critical of Rose in this thread, but I thought he did OK considering he was up against one of the most expensive youngsters in the world, with very little cover in front of him.

Falcao scored a brace and was decent but didn't seem an absolutely "world's best striker" kind of player, when you think who he was up against in Livermore and Fryers.

Fryers looks a bit like Jenas, let's hope he has more guts and ambition.

I thought Lennon was really disappointing, mostly standing around and being tackled, when he was one of our few first team seniors on show!

Moutinho was class, I think we should have made that signing last summer, and now we would be in the CL in my opinion - different class player, for OK money

Not buying Moutinho last season was a big blunder by Levy, anyway you look at it. We would be in CL now if we had Moutinho last season.

Also just notes from the game:

Today's midfield didn't have the vision to use the wide players (who often had acres of space).
Zeki and Livermore are not CBs.
Chadli was non-existent (though the CM's don't know how to use their peripheral vision at all).
Lennon offers 0 movement without the ball.
Parker is a liability (please sell).
Townsend is a beast (please don't sell).
Our young Spurs play better stuff than the older ones
Tom Carroll actually looks up before he receives a pass and plays the ball forward more often than not (as compared to all our other midfielders today who didn't).
Dembele always goes left (but who didn't know that)
We desperately need to learn how to use the wide areas.
Tommy Hudd is surely gone this window. Maybe Sigg too.

In short, we have talent out wide, just nobody to get it to them quickly enough. I pray one of Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho will have some kind of ability to see a pass or else we're doomed.

well they dont....with those 3 our midfield passing will be obvious and pedestrian

a lot of players will be going into the first PL games without a sufficient pre season. Bad luck

Any chance of seeing Fryers at LB again, i think he has the build and pace to be a very good LB imo.

Lennon's game is all about pace, surely we don't want him running at break neck speed during a friendly and risk pulling a hamstring or getting a thigh strain. Lennon is a critical player for us we need him fit at the start of the season and we often struggle without him. Townsend, on the other hand, probably feels he has a point to prove to AVB. I would still start Lennon over Townsend at this present time. From my experience of watching Spurs there is very little you can glean about how we will perform at the start of the season from how we perform during preseason. Remember under Jol and Ramos we were unbeaten and looked good in preseason only to end up bottom of the league table after the 1st few games of the season.

Of course, pre season results dont matter a bit. What does matter (to me anyway) is peformance, attitude, and desire...........and today it was pathetic ! This was a chance for some of these players to stake a claim for a premiership start in 2 weeks, and "THIS" was how much they wanted that !

Of course, you will get the usual "bury your head in the sand" phalanx here quoting chapter and verse about how results dont matter, we were missing players, look at previous years pre season results yadda yadda yadda, but these same people will have an excuse even if we lose to Palace on opening day.

Im just sitting here gobsmaked at what bile I just watched. And it makes me so sad. To me it DOES matter.

Exactly this. It seems to matter more to us than the players, management, coaches etc. just not good enough.

there's only so much you can do against top opposition when you have 5/6/7 first team players missing. it's not an ideal set of circumstances to be preparing for the new season in

Seriously management can't win. If they send their team out there and they go hell for leather to win and pick up a number of injuries posters would be slamming the management for making poor decisions.

there's only so much you can do against top opposition when you have 5/6/7 first team players missing. it's not an ideal set of circumstances to be preparing for the new season in

Really interested to see line-up vs Espanyol........

A week is a very long time in football people would do well to remember this, we may sign a cb, more developments on Bale, more info coming out concerning injuries.

I watched the whole thing the other day and was scratching round for positives.....Townsend being the one that is forefront in my mind.

I think AVB is being affected with everything going on, the bale saga is taking its toll and evident with his press conference the other day. This pre-season game has just confirmed what we already know about certain players who we don't think are good enough, it resembled nowhere near a first 11 imo but there you go.

Whenever spurs play it does matter to me but I didn't lose much sleep over this but it tells me.....we have a lot of players near the exit door, AVB is under pressure and feeling it over bale. We have a lot to do in 2 weeks to be ready for palace.....

yet as I said one week in footie....lets see where we are sat morn pre espanyol game....the landscape/squad may have changed quite a bit.

edit. oh and I wouldn't be making excuses vs palace if we get a drubbing....... with the quality we have three points is a must!!!

Seriously management can't win. If they send their team out there and they go hell for leather to win and pick up a number of injuries posters would be slamming the management for making poor decisions.

I think people are just worried with the amount of injuries and uncertainty there is at the moment. Getting smashed by Monaco obviously doesn't help to relieve that.

Back